Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled my X....1.1% ROI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ended up buying a used S instead.

I called to cancel on 4/8/16. They said their policy is that if it's been less than a year since you reserved, you'll get the refund back on your credit card. But, since it had been over a year for me, they sent me a check. Which means...since my credit card gives me 1.1% cash back, I made a cool $55 on my investment. So, who ever said you get nothing for letting Tesla keep your reservation money? ;-)

Also, I received the check on 4/21/16 by the most comical fedex route I've ever seen (see attached photo)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 132
I ended up buying a used S instead.

I called to cancel on 4/8/16. They said their policy is that if it's been less than a year since you reserved, you'll get the refund back on your credit card. But, since it had been over a year for me, they sent me a check. Which means...since my credit card gives me 1.1% cash back, I made a cool $55 on my investment. So, who ever said you get nothing for letting Tesla keep your reservation money? ;-)

Also, I received the check on 4/21/16 by the most comical fedex route I've ever seen (see attached photo)

I was so tempted to do what you just did! I did however confirm the first possible chance I had back in early Jan. I assume you never confirmed your order correct? TM had told me they could just swap your 5k and put it towards an S purchase (new or used) surprised they didn't do that for you.

It is odd. But UPS does the same. Apparently, it is less expensive and actually faster to to send everything to the hub and then back out again. They've been doing it for years. Both companies hubs are in TN. I would have thought something more central would be better. But they know more than me.

I was so tempted to do what you just did! I did however confirm the first possible chance I had back in early Jan. I assume you never confirmed your order correct? TM had told me they could just swap your 5k and put it towards an S purchase (new or used) surprised they didn't do that for you.

I ended up buying used off craigslist. I was kind of in a holding pattern. Not sure if I should go new X or used S. After the great CPO purge of February, I didn't see a whole lot of value in a lot of CPO cars. So I was taking pot shots here and there on craigslist and one surprisingly panned out and I found a deal I couldn't refuse and uber'd across the bay that minute.

One of my biggest beefs with confirming my X was that I wanted a 70D (now turns out it would have been a 75D) and I hated that there didn't even seem to be a good level of certainty that I'd get it in 2016. I didn't want to make my $5k non-refundable when 6-12 months could go by before I got my car. To me that was unacceptable.

It seems to be turning out that 75Ds will be delivered earlier than expected - and at the original $80k base price would have been tempting. But...that's life. I think I'll be happy with my S for up to 5 years and then possibly upgrade when true autopilot is out.

• Informative
Reactions: EV Family