Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled order because of Musk's behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I think is funny about Tesla is how large of a role that Elon plays in whether someone will buy the car or not.

What other manufacture of at least Tesla's size can anyone say this of?

Like the last car I bought was a Jeep Wrangler, and I would have bought it even if the CEO of Fiat drank the blood from young people. I simply wouldn't have cared. I didn't even know who he or she even was nor did I care to know.

If I was in the market for a Model Y I don't think I'd allow Elon's actions on Covid-19 to dictate my decision. Instead I'd weigh it based on how well made the cars were since they are brand new. Or how service is now.

It certainly would put a damper on it, but I'd question why. Like what difference does it really make anyways. Tesla is a company of PEOPLE, and Elon is just one person.

I did go through this when I bought my Model 3. Those were some dark times because of the whole 420 tweet, and how irrational Elon was being about it.

I cancelled my Model Y AWD order today. I was all registered to pay in cash for my blue AWD. But Musk's re-opening the Fremont plant in deliberate open defiance of the Alameda County government was the final straw for me.

Whether we should re-open our economy sooner or later is a legitimate debate. But unfortunately, this is a moment when security guards are getting shot for asking shoppers to wear masks and armed protestors are blockading government building and posting on Facebook about how they want to kill the governor of Michigan. Clearly, the rhetoric over Covid-19 is getting way out of control.

By crying "fascism" in public forums and flouting government regulations in some misguided, deliberate effort to appear tough, Musk is adding more fuel to the fire: more senseless politicization of the pandemic, more hyperbolic rhetoric that many Americans view as a justification for violence.

The Alameda County government was acting in good faith, and we have no reason not to believe their representative, who said that a deal for re-opening was just days from being reached. There was no reason for Musk to undermine these discussions by acting like such a jackass--unless an infantile public relations stunt is more important to him than all else.

I hope Musk comes to his senses and realizes why large company CEOs avoid this kind of stupid grandstanding. Amid a global pandemic, Musk's "maverick entrepreneur" shtick is less charming than dangerous, and it is putting American lives at risk.

I respect the fact that you feel so strongly about this issue that you are willing to deny yourself the car you want because of it. Just keep in mind that there are legitimate differing points of view on how to deal with COVID-19. Apart from that, your post sounds more like you simply have a dislike for Musk personally. In any case, is it really worth it to you to go to this extreme and not buy the car because you're upset with Musk? Let him have his opinions, his foibles, his quirks... after all you have yours:). But don't let your dislike of him and what he does control YOUR actions. If you like the car, buy it, and by all means tell all your friends that you love the car but hate Musk! Just don't let him ruin your life!;)

Reactions: CTM31991
Yeah, it was really a depressing “idiot billionaire” kind of move. I’ll be in the market for a new car next year (or the following year given the pandemic), but Musk going anti-science, anti-public health is pretty damaging to the Tesla brand. He has the money to wait another week for approval of an operational plan and he could be paying his workers for the sick leave they deserve, but he chooses instead to go on a Trumpian rampage. He will reward his workers soon enough with layoffs.
You do realize Tesla has a factory in China that is well versed in dealing with this virus? There is no reason to stop manufacturing for two months when they have effective virus mitigation measures that are tried and tested. The county was dragging their feet. Musk isn’t the only one who deserves blame for this situation.

For actual data on what effect reopening is having why not look up Georgia's numbers since they began reopening April 24th?
There is no spike.
How about how we were told that Wisconsinites voting in person would kill thousands.........400k of us went to the polls in the following 2 week window for infection to make itself known 52 later became ill and all had other potential exposure sources and last I heard none died.

The doom and gloom about how we will all die if we try and get back to life is a baldfaced lie based on a mixture of willfully ignorance and political calculation.

A week ago when I looked at it NY was 126 dead per 100k, Wisconsin was at 6 per 100k yet our governor wants us locked down longer than NY.

For actual data on what effect reopening is having why not look up Georgia's numbers since they began reopening April 24th?
There is no spike.
How about how we were told that Wisconsinites voting in person would kill thousands.........400k of us went to the polls in the following 2 week window for infection to make itself known 52 later became ill and all had other potential exposure sources and last I heard none died.

The doom and gloom about how we will all die if we try and get back to life is a baldfaced lie based on a mixture of willfully ignorance and political calculation.

A week ago when I looked at it NY was 126 dead per 100k, Wisconsin was at 6 per 100k yet our governor wants us locked down longer than NY.
This is not really correct. There is ample evidence from New York, Italy, and China that proved the virus is a serious threat. Having said that, the total lockdown needed to get control of it in urban areas isn't necessarily needed in less dense areas. Blaming leaders for taking a cautious approach given all the uncertainty is not helpful in any way. There is nothing like a Monday morning quarterback.

Wow. What an amazing sacrifice.
I'm sure that waiting one more week would have made all the difference in COVID spread.
Or maybe, just maybe, it was sloth-paced, Elon-hating bureaucrats standing their ground?
Regardless, there are many waiting who will appreciate you freeing up your Y.
Lots of used Nissan Leafs available at great prices.
I'm sure you will be much happier with one of those.
So, how do you contribute to the world?

My post seems to have struck a nerve, based on the hostility in many of the responses. Many of folks replying seem to almost be taking it personally. Why the defensiveness? Does admiring Tesla vehicles mean that you have to be blindly obedient to everything the CEO says and take offense at anyone who disagrees with him?

I'm sure many Tesla fans are not comfortable with the stuff Musk has been ranting about lately. Yes, many won't go so far as to cancel their orders, but they might still object to what he's been saying. In my case, since I don't really even need a new car and was just buying it because it was something that seemed fun, it wasn't much of a sacrifice to give it up. It's possible Musk will make amends and stop acting like such a jackass (it would be good business for him to do so), so who knows, I can always re-visit this in the future.

• Funny
Reactions: ra88it and msm859
My post seems to have struck a nerve, based on the hostility in many of the responses. Many of folks replying seem to almost be taking it personally. Why the defensiveness? Does admiring Tesla vehicles mean that you have to be blindly obedient to everything the CEO says and take offense at anyone who disagrees with him?

I'm sure many Tesla fans are not comfortable with the stuff Musk has been ranting about lately. Yes, many won't go so far as to cancel their orders, but they might still object to what he's been saying. In my case, since I don't really even need a new car and was just buying it because it was something that seemed fun, it wasn't much of a sacrifice to give it up. It's possible Musk will make amends and stop acting like such a jackass (it would be good business for him to do so), so who knows, I can always re-visit this in the future.

It's actually the exact opposite. We are capable of admiring the vehicles and the purpose they serve in the global market and all the purpose the company has in revolutionizing the industry for the better regardless of what the CEO says or does.

It seems you've projected. The one not capable of divesting the car from the CEO is you.

Yeah, it was really a depressing “idiot billionaire” kind of move. I’ll be in the market for a new car next year (or the following year given the pandemic), but Musk going anti-science, anti-public health is pretty damaging to the Tesla brand. He has the money to wait another week for approval of an operational plan and he could be paying his workers for the sick leave they deserve, but he chooses instead to go on a Trumpian rampage. He will reward his workers soon enough with layoffs.
LOL!!! It's hilarious watching you people explode. Musk is far from an idiot and I don't think he cares about being a billionaire but good for him, he earned it. Don't buy a vehicle from Tesla, that'll show'em. If enough stops buying, that'll really show'em. Maybe even put Tesla out of business, then instead of my next truck being a Tesla I can get that big GMC diesel and roll some coal!

I don't really even need a new car and was just buying it because it was something that seemed fun, it wasn't much of a sacrifice to give it up. It's possible Musk will make amends and stop acting like such a jackass (it would be good business for him to do so), so who knows, I can always re-visit this in the future.

If you're even real and not a troll, this entitled prick behavior won't get you far with Tesla, especially when something breaks and you need to service it. Probably best that you not buy one and never buy one in the future.