TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cancelled our 90D

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by PhilBa, Aug 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. PhilBa

PhilBa Active Member

We placed an order for an X 90D 6 seater 2 days before Elon's P100D announcement. We asked if a 100D could be made available and were told no. After mulling it over, we cancelled today because I really don't want yesterday's battery. I've owned a P85 MS for 3+ years and watched as the batteries went to 90 and now 100. We don't want a P100D as we simply don't need that kind of performance in an SUV. I know eventually the batteries will go above 100 but the lack of a 100D right now is reason to wait. We'll probably reorder when they make a 100D available but we're sitting out for now.

By the way, everyone we spoke to at Tesla indicated that the P100D announce caught them unaware.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 3
    • Dislike x 1
  2. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Can't say I blame you, I'd have done the same thing... We haven't ordered ours yet because we're waiting on the 100D without the P or L...

Jeff

3. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

I think you made a good decision and I inquired about doing the same. I had an extended delivery scheduled so there is no harm to anyone by doing so. Tesla's been quite cooperative about it.

4. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

I too think you made a good decision. I don't own an X but looking at the average wh/mile statistics, especially at faster 75-80mph speeds, the X consumes far more energy than an S. For me, the X almost needs to have the 100kw battery especially with any kind of towing or 22" rims.

I don't think the 90kw packs are actually 90kw and probably closer to 85/86kw which is why my theory that it's actually more of a 14kw bump is significant.

5. fallen888

fallen888 Member.. hehe, I said "member"

Sorry, I disagree with the reasoning (not the decision). It's the same old argument of not buying a computer today because tomorrow a faster, cheaper one will come out. Obviously this is just on a larger scale with a Tesla car.

Maybe I'm missing something else in your reasoning.

Also, to each his own of course. :)

• Like x 5
  6. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

100 pack is reorganized battery layout. 2170 cells should get it to 110-115 kWh.

• Like x 1
  7. shokunin

shokunin P85 & S40

Normally, I'd agree. But the 100kw pack is a known fact at this point. We're not speculating on getting the 110kw pack with the new cells, but rather simply waiting for a few months (hopefully) until they announce availability of the non-P 100D option. The fewer orders they get for the P100DL's the quicker this option will be available for non-P models.

• Like x 3
  8. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

I would have done the same thing.

9. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Its all about the range and In this case its already in-market, just selectively distributed. I expect they'll need greater buyer support than they'll get from DL orders so I'm waiting. The overused & incomparable PC argument doesn't faze me one way or the other.

10. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

It is a question of usage really. A X100D will still consume a tad more than the 90D as the weight is increasing a bit. So yes if you need more than 240 miles reliably whatever the conditions then it is better to wait. If 99% of the time you'll drive less than 180 miles then a X75D would cover it (which is what we ended up ordering). They may open 100D early next year.

• Like x 1
  11. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Yes that's probably more accurate but whatever its called, I have it now and love it for frequent driving between two homes. The S90D has been fabulous despite terrain, wind, wheel size etc.and while an X90D is certainly manageable (SC between destinations), I prefer the freedom of non-stops and instead plugging in upon arrival as I am currently able to do. Thus I had a delayed delivery of December just hoping, hoping, hoping.........and boy did they burst my happy bubble. :eek:

12. EV-Bull

EV-Bull Member

I'm waiting for the 200.

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  13. travwill

travwill Member

If you really need that extra range most of the time then its good to wait, assuming it will also cost around $10K more still? The 90D seems good for most people most of the time, like 99%+ for many of us.

Agree, the 2170 cells may go into the Model 3 for some time before making it into the S/X as will require redesigned packs again and been tapped out in supply - so Panasonic will just keep supplying the same cells for a sometime...

14. James Anders

James Anders Member

There's always going to be a better battery. Don't drive yourself crazy. If the 90D met your needs range wise then I don't see waiting. Could be a long time before 100 kWh trickles down the line.

15. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

@PhilBa obviously is patient so it's probably the right decision for him. The X is an energy hog compared to the S, so every little bit counts. And if you're considering towing a trailer any kind of distance, it really counts.

My wild guess for 100D in the design studio is April 2017.

• Like x 2
  16. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Elon did say the 100kWh is reaching the physical limit of the pack now on current chemistry so don't expect a bigger battery until they are in full swing at the GF and they can manufacture a new pack with the new cell format and chemistry.

• Helpful x 1
  17. Yggdrasill

Yggdrasill Active Member

I think 115 kWh requires improved chemistry. If they only change the format, I'd expect 105-110 kWh.

18. Spidy

Spidy Member

I would not be surprised if we see it later this year since it would result in a huge demand spike and Tesla has to keep the new orders at a high level.

Now that the P100D is out there some people know the 100D will come and will wait.

Of course there is the possibility that they don't have the manufacturing capacity, but they are probably already working that

19. Matias

Matias Active Member

I don't know whether they are able to horizontally pack more cell volume than 1865 cells so the only difference is height. New cells are 5 mm taller, so difference is 7.7%, so with new cells pack would be about 108kWh (which Tesla would no doubt name 110 pack).

New chemistry would of course be another thing.

20. davidc18

davidc18 Member

You made the right choice. Get exactly what you want.