Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled our 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would not be surprised if we see it later this year since it would result in a huge demand spike and Tesla has to keep the new orders at a high level.

Now that the P100D is out there some people know the 100D will come and will wait.

Of course there is the possibility that they don't have the manufacturing capacity, but they are probably already working that

P100DL is out - however, how hard is it to turn off L availability for $10k less? Once packs can be made faster, allow non-L orders. Then once more packs can be built - allow non-P ordering. I assume MX P100D first because larger car needs more energy per mile. Then MS P100D to follow and so on. They definitely should be offering this later this year. You saw how fast the down-market move for MX happened and so good chance this happens quicker than some assume.

While I love my P90D, and have had it since February, I'm starting to think I made the right decision by leasing it. I figured that by 2019 there would be more range and next gen AP which would depress the resale value of the early cars. With the lease I can just walk away and buy or lease a new one. I have decided that my next one will not be a P. While it is exhilarating, the 90D is plenty fast enough, I'd rather have the extra range and the $20K in my pocket. I would definitely get the largest non-P battery pack available at the time.

I think the timing is really bad for those who can wait and want the latest and greatest. Besides the 100d, there's also AP2.0. When both 100d and AP2 start delivering, there's the Model 3 and new battery cells that will be greater than 100kWh in a couple months. While they have not materialized, by the time 100d and AP2 deliveries begin, it'd be getting pretty damn close.

Reactions: davidc18
Depends on how you will use your X. If you plan on towing or long distance driving that require Superchargers, then yeah, I might wait. The X uses significantly more energy than the S when either towing or driving faster than 70 mph, so the bigger battery is useful in these cases. City driving, it doesn't matter.

The only problem is how long you are going to wait. I suspect Tesla is going to want to see six months of data in the field to see how the new battery, cooling and other new engineered systems are working before opening it up to the rest of the product line.

I think the timing is really bad for those who can wait and want the latest and greatest. Besides the 100d, there's also AP2.0. When both 100d and AP2 start delivering, there's the Model 3 and new battery cells that will be greater than 100kWh in a couple months. While they have not materialized, by the time 100d and AP2 deliveries begin, it'd be getting pretty damn close.

Yes, Tesla has so far managed to avoid end-of-model-yearitis that the traditional car makers have (that's why they have end of model year specials), but I don't think Tesla is going to get away with it this time, at least in the US. AP 2.0 and bigger batteries are a huge draw. I suspect Tesla will have to start discounting or suffer through slower sales. Having said that, it is very possible their two year lease was their attempt at heading off anticipated demand slow down, and early evidence suggests that it is working.

Last edited:
Reactions: davidc18
We placed an order for an X 90D 6 seater 2 days before Elon's P100D announcement. We asked if a 100D could be made available and were told no. After mulling it over, we cancelled today because I really don't want yesterday's battery. I've owned a P85 MS for 3+ years and watched as the batteries went to 90 and now 100. We don't want a P100D as we simply don't need that kind of performance in an SUV. I know eventually the batteries will go above 100 but the lack of a 100D right now is reason to wait. We'll probably reorder when they make a 100D available but we're sitting out for now.

By the way, everyone we spoke to at Tesla indicated that the P100D announce caught them unaware.

It all depends on how long you're willing to wait. By all indications 100D will not be available until next year.

Reactions: bonaire
Although I understand the negative vibe to some extent, I don't think it is fair. We've become so expecting when it comes to customer service at Tesla that we probably expect too much. Anyone dealing with Tesla knows there will be some major improvements every x time. So, if you're disappointed by the announcement/introduction now, you'll probably always end up getting disappointed at some point in time, if you decide to order a new tesla. Always. There will always be a newer greater and later model. And always sooner than we're traditionally used to.

We were satisfied with the specs when we placed the order. Which is great. Enjoy the great product bought!

That some others (later than you) are able to change to a newer even better offering because they haven't completed their order yet, or haven't taken delivery, well that is just testament to the great flexibility Tesla offers to buyers and amongst the things that set Tesla apart from other manufacturers. We can change our config when not finalized the order, we can change for a small fee if not in production queue, we can cancel an order for a relatively small amount at any time before taking delivery. Not many other manufacturers offer such flexibility.

Now that Tesla doesn't offer a cheaper upgrade path after one has taken delivery, still is much better than any other manufacturer around. Tesla at least offers one! No other manufacturers would even consider to do so. So let's not blame Tesla for its first-in-class flexibility offered or be disappointed if that flexibility didn't go as far as to extend it to virtually everyone. And let's enjoy the car ordered some time in the past.

Reactions: beths11 and Ormond
My guess is we'll see the 100D available to order in December for January delivery in NA. If Tesla has short supply or otherwise wants to limit the number of orders, I could see them making it available for the X before the S.

But it's just a guess.

Sorry, I disagree with the reasoning (not the decision). It's the same old argument of not buying a computer today because tomorrow a faster, cheaper one will come out. Obviously this is just on a larger scale with a Tesla car.

Maybe I'm missing something else in your reasoning.

Also, to each his own of course. :)
That argument is about not having a computer now. We have 2 cars - one is a Model S. It's no hardship to wait.

Reactions: ohmman