Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelled Y Reservation for S Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The price drop on the S was enticing to me as well. I couldn't seriously consider it before it dropped under 70k. I've still got a MYP on order, but I'm going to delay delivery until after the Cybertruck comes out because I think I might want that instead. Incredible performance and range at every price point.

All three have their advantages and disadvantages. For me, at least.

Last edited:
While I love the Model S and X, the resale and depreciation isn’t nearly as good as the Model 3 or Y. The M3 and MY is actually an investment from what I could figure out. Plus, the 3 and Y are more advanced (technology wise) than the S and X. For starters, neither the S or X has “phone as a key” feature, which I find pretty sweet.

Reactions: VikH and Reborn
While I love the Model S and X, the resale and depreciation isn’t nearly as good as the Model 3 or Y. The M3 and MY is actually an investment from what I could figure out. Plus, the 3 and Y are more advanced (technology wise) than the S and X. For starters, neither the S or X has “phone as a key” feature, which I find pretty sweet.

How do you figure something that can and will only lose value is an investment?

How do you figure something that can and will only lose value is an investment?

I’m financing my Model Y for 5 years, and after I pay for 3 years, I will owe less than what the vehicle is worth. If the Y holds its resale value as well as the 3 does (and let’s face it, there’s more of a demand for SUV/CUV, so no doubt it’ll be a more attractive buy than a M3 sedan), then the difference in value, from what I owe (less) versus what the vehicle is worth (more) (and I’m getting FSD, which will make it even MORE DESIRABLE on the used car market), then I consider that an investment. Elon wasn’t lying when he said FSD will be a money maker, and you don’t need to have a Robotaxi service to make money, you just need a market; a desire/want; and a buyer. In the future the craze is going to be a vehicle that can drive itself, and it’ll be madness with the amount of people who’ll want to get there hands on one. And nobody will be able to afford Elon’s exorbitant cost for FSD, so they’ll turn to the used car market. Someone is foolish NOT BUYING FSD right now. Come back to this post in 3 years and I bet you’ll completely understand. Buy now when you can afford, and reap the benefits later!

Oh, and show me where the Model S and X has a better resale value than the 3 or Y. But you can’t, so the 3 and Y is the better buy.

I'm waiting for the '21 announcements for the planned MY improvements (e.g. heated steering wheel, air suspension, better middle console redesign, new batteries, windows, etc) and/or much overdue MS/MX model updates before I commit.

The significant price increase of FSD was unplanned and I might have to delay this option at purchase until the new improvements are released and applicable to my geo driving location.

I had MY on order. As soon as price of S was lowered I also considered getting S. It looks very nice. I have never driven one.
Price difference was another 15k with FSD on both.
MY is the only Tesla with Heat pump as far as I know. MY is also higher.
I have always driven SUV's in winters in MN.
I also felt that S is due for a redesign. S also has more depreciation.
I ended up sticking with MY and I will be picking it up on 11/6.

Reactions: Fred42 and jpfive
I had a S loaner while my Y was being serviced. I was so excited because I have always loved the way the S looks. I have to say I wasn't impressed. It's a beautiful car but I found it was hard to get in and out of and the controls/layout seemed so bulky compared to the minimalist Y. I was happy to have my car back at the end of the day and happy to put my S envy to bed!

Reactions: filotej
I’m financing my Model Y for 5 years, and after I pay for 3 years, I will owe less than what the vehicle is worth. If the Y holds its resale value as well as the 3 does (and let’s face it, there’s more of a demand for SUV/CUV, so no doubt it’ll be a more attractive buy than a M3 sedan), then the difference in value, from what I owe (less) versus what the vehicle is worth (more) (and I’m getting FSD, which will make it even MORE DESIRABLE on the used car market), then I consider that an investment. Elon wasn’t lying when he said FSD will be a money maker, and you don’t need to have a Robotaxi service to make money, you just need a market; a desire/want; and a buyer. In the future the craze is going to be a vehicle that can drive itself, and it’ll be madness with the amount of people who’ll want to get there hands on one. And nobody will be able to afford Elon’s exorbitant cost for FSD, so they’ll turn to the used car market. Someone is foolish NOT BUYING FSD right now. Come back to this post in 3 years and I bet you’ll completely understand. Buy now when you can afford, and reap the benefits later!

Oh, and show me where the Model S and X has a better resale value than the 3 or Y. But you can’t, so the 3 and Y is the better buy.
I wasn't making any comment about the S and the X. Just saying that, as an investment, a car is pretty bad, because you are guaranteed to have a negative return.

Saying that the car is worth more than you owe does not make it a good investment. The car will always be worth less than what you've paid plus what you owe.

You can say it's a good value. You can say it is a better financial deal than leasing. But if the value of the car is always decreasing, you are paying interest on your loan and you can't generate a dollar of revenue from it, a car, by definition and the laws of math, can not be a good investment.

Reactions: PedramGh

Financing a car is never an investment my friend... Car's value depreciate, and when you finance you pay interest. But 3/Y is a better value where you can minimize your lost compare to S/X.

I had an X and S, now own a 3 and Y.
The S and X had so many issues, I was not able to enjoy them.
The S is huge but not enough room inside, is just bulky.
The X has falcon wing doors that rub against the door jam and peels the paint off and it vibrates due to using the S drivetrain.

inhave yet to have any issues with the model 3 and Y, so far satisfied moving from S and X to 3 and Y

I am actually in the same boat here, I owned a S, then an X. Now I own a 3 and soon to be a Y. I had soooo many on and off problems with the S and X where I was constantly having to worry about something that needed a repair on my next service visit. The 3 and Y have been the most carefree and stress free Teslas.

• Love
Reactions: Reborn
I had a S loaner while my Y was being serviced. I was so excited because I have always loved the way the S looks. I have to say I wasn't impressed. It's a beautiful car but I found it was hard to get in and out of and the controls/layout seemed so bulky compared to the minimalist Y. I was happy to have my car back at the end of the day and happy to put my S envy to bed!

Exactly how I felt. Had the S loaner for 2 weeks and am so glad I got my Y back. What i do like though is the free supercharging.

Reactions: Reborn