Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling a reservation is unfriendly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I am a European TM3 reservation holder and - in general - a Tesla fan.

Since, it seems that the originally promised EUR 35K Standard Range M3 will never be sold here (even off-the-menu) and my reservation is now mostly meaningless anyway (anybody can order and get their unit in a couple of months), I decided to get my reservation money back from Tesla.

It seems that it is impossible to cancel your reservation via the website and you need to call a Tesla shop or go there personally (the latter is impossible now due to the COVID-19 lockdown).

1) Tesla Advisors

The FAQ says: To cancel your reservation or order, contact a Tesla Advisor.

The link on the "contact a Tesla Advisor" is the "Find us" map without any filtering (superchargers...etc). On the shop markers/info-panels, there is only a phone number and no email address or web-contact form.

2) Reservation assistance

The "Manage your Model 3" page has an assistance phone number (again, no email and no web-based contact form). That phone number automatically responds in Dutch and no option to even switch it to English. Granted, I called it at the weekend, so it is somewhat ok that nobody picks it up but a multi-country support assistant number doesn't even speak English?

3) Wien Tesla Shop

Earlier on, I was contacted, in email, by one of the salesmen from the Wien Tesla shop that they could ship my Model 3 any time...etc sales talk. At the time, I told him that I am waiting for cheaper variants but kept the email address for later use.

~2 weeks ago I sent an email to the salesman, requesting assistance with the the cancellation. Email delivered but no reply at all. None whatsoever.

This is just no good.
-------------------
I have no doubt that I will get my reservation money back in the end but I expected much better performance from Tesla on this.

From a perceived technonogy leader, I expected a great online experience and this is a big disappointment.

Some moths ago, I also cancelled my Volkswagen ID.3 reservation when multiple news about their software/manufacturing difficulties reached me (also, their European prices were way too close to that of Tesla to experiment with a newcomer). However, that cancellation went very efficiently and was day and night compared to Tesla. I could do it via the web portal and the money was back on my account in a jiffy.

Given that Tesla is not a small company anymore, their online experience should be nothing like this.

OP. Your difficulty contacting Tesla before delivery is little different from that you would experience if you had taken delivery. Mind you, it is probably much better than you would get at the moment if you were trying to get a refund from Ryanair!