Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understatement. I had no idea about that hypothetical $74,000 Model X. I knew the X wasn't going to be my thing so I didn't follow it close, and didn't hear about it. Whatever "widely publicized" may mean in practice, wasn't the foundational front of PR for several years that 1/2 million nominally plunked $1000 towards that the $35K model has been.
I waited in line for hours outside in the cold to reserve a sight unseen $35k Tesla. That was almost 2 years ago, and my $35k Model 3 was just pushed back another year (estimated, could be longer). I assume that many $35k hopefuls will miss out on the full federal tax credit while current owners have 1-2 higher priced 3's with tax credits sitting in their driveways underused (can't understand why most would drive a 3 when you have an S and/or X at your disposal).

Reactions: EV-Bull and Timo
I've worked in various aspects of oil & gas (upstream and midstream) over the years, family still draws income from the o&g service industry. They are there. How you count the magnitude in $ term equivalent, and what their ultimate impact at the end, is certainly debatable but it is some sort of cocktail of naive and deceitful that would lead someone to claim they don't substantially exist.
Excellent link. Thanks!

I waited in line for hours outside in the cold to reserve a sight unseen $35k Tesla. That was almost 2 years ago, and my $35k Model 3 was just pushed back another year (estimated, could be longer).

??? That doesn't seem right. You should still be listed a "Late" this year, even for the SR, right? You would have had had it listed as still a few months away before yesterday.

I assume that many $35k hopefuls will miss out on the full federal tax credit

A rebate of >%10 of the price of the vehicle (which you should be a nigh lock to get) is no kick in the groin.

I fully understand your frustration (I didn't physically wait in line but I put down my $1000 just hours after you and am well back in the queue of you). However it's also important to keep to accuracy to keep perspective, lest you bring yourself down further.

EDIT: Were you referring to a prior estimate for the SR some months back?

while current owners have 1-2 higher priced 3's with tax credits sitting in their driveways underused (can't understand why most would drive a 3 when you have an S and/or X at your disposal).

That's the opposite of the the general tone of what people with both have been saying on this forum.

Last edited:
I'm really angry
I stood in line to reserve a car I hadn't seen, with no idea when it would be delivered (other than maybe 2019/2020) or how much it would be with my options.
Then a bunch of other losers had the audacity to reserve as well and Tesla ended up with many more reservations than they expected.
Its just not fair - if all you other folks had just stayed at home and not paid $1000 each I might have got my car by now.
My order is much more important and I want it now, wanting an EV is my idea.
I just don't have the patience to wait a whole month or two more, my current car is almost four years old and I just can't be seen driving around in something so old

</sarcasm> back to reality

Happy, no, but definitely not cancelling, patiently waiting, I've been budgeting my projected car payment into my deposit so the delay means that by the time the car arrives I'll have enough to pay for the sport wheels.

</sarcasm> back to reality
Happy, no, but definitely not cancelling, patiently waiting, I've been budgeting my projected car payment into my deposit so the delay means that by the time the car arrives I'll have enough to pay for the sport wheels.
I do NOT approve. This attitude of yours will not lead to actions & events that get me my car sooner!

By the time my model 3 is ready, I wouldn't be surprised if other electric cars like the Porsche Mission E make me rethink about the decision...
Perhaps, maybe, you are right. But when the Missing E is available to you in 2 years, you might have the opportunity to purchase a car that will be twice the price of a model 3, have less range, no fast charging network, and have to work through all the problems with a new, first production car.....................and I will be driving my model 3 for two years already.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Or like going on and on about automotive factories making cars at X m/s when your factory can’t make more that a couple thousand per quarter. Embarrassing.

I think Elon needs to be introduced to the concept of figure-of-merit, because just like their discussion of battery cells per unit volume of factory, they don’t seem to get it.

I think the impossible needs to happen. I think Elon should become a customer of his own company....only then will I believe he will really understand.

Problem: Elon could never be in need of anything ever again. He has enough money to buy anything he wants.

Completed the cancellation. Good luck, everyone!
Robin

Oh no @Robin.... poor poor impulsive and hasty Robin.... destined to roam the earth in his avatar. My goodness what a mistake. I almost want to hold a spot for you so you don't have to go through the next 4 years convincing yourself you actually like the ICE you will end up buying..... so sad.

Remember the S 40kWh? They’ve done that type of thing before. They cited “lack of interest” then if I recall correctly.
Yes... I remember the good ol' days.... I think that's what they are calling the 2019 EV BMW and Mercedes models in Germany nowadays. Porsche Mission E... now with self driving.... ta da!!!!!
bean.png

I’ve been so very excited about the Model 3 to the degree that I took a day off work to stand in line on 3/31/16 and bought an interim used Leaf to get me through the delay gap when my last lease expired. This delay might do me in though. I don’t know if I want to drive around for another year in an old Leaf waiting for the eventual standard range model and I can’t afford long range and premium without putting me into an uncomfortable financial position.

Very disappointed.
At least this dude's pain seems real... way to sacrifice man... stick with it.

Just tried to cancel (twice). Each time a window popped up with Something went wrong.
Robin
Hello, Robin.... it's me Jesus..... you're making a mistake on cancelling your reservation... I shall pop a window up on your behalf.... oh......... oh..... no..... really? hath you forsaken my divine guidance? Some folks can't get out of their own way.... I mean... Self H. Christ!

I first test drove an S in Feb 2016. I thought I had a deal for one which fell apart based on a $1,500 difference for my old Lexus.

I was pissed.

I hated Tesla.

I hated the S.

I was never going to give Elon my money.

I would never own a Tesla.

I test drove about 10-15 other cars.

I pouted like a petulant child for 16 months, then I took a deep breath, swallowed my pride and Ordered my S90D sight unseen.

I am sooooo glad that I got over my temper tantrum because this car was worth it....so that is my message to all of you cancelling... I understand your frustration but don’t lose sight of the big picture, it’s worth it in the end.

Do not cancel! You will be bummed. The waiting sucks- I did it for the S Before I bought the S I drove everything Porsche/ Audi / Benz etc No comparison I love the car - the tech - cool factor - acceleration etc
Decide once you can configure. Someday Tesla will have real competition and at that time they need to be better but until the They make the rules

??? That doesn't seem right. You should still be listed a "Late" this year, even for the SR, right? You would have had had it listed as still a few months away before yesterday.

A rebate of >%10 of the price of the vehicle (which you should be a nigh lock to get) is no kick in the groin.

I fully understand your frustration (I didn't physically wait in line but I put down my $1000 just hours after you and am well back in the queue of you). However it's also important to keep to accuracy to keep perspective, lest you bring yourself down further.

EDIT: Were you referring to a prior estimate for the SR some months back?

My very last Seattle day 1 early morning non-owner reservation delivery date for SR was early 2019. This was pushed back from “early 2018”. I don’t recall what my original SR date was, but my first production date was Nov 2017 - Jan 2018.

In hindsight, this latest delay sealed my cancellation, but being somewhat underwhelmed with an owner’s LR Model 3 a few weeks ago after getting to spend 2 hours with it played a big role as well. I didn’t think the car was as amazing as Elon, Franz, and others have built it up to be, and this was the expensive version. It’s a really good car, just not great enough to make me want to try to force our family to wait another year (or longer, if delayed again) for it or a lesser version of it.

Why would that be included in a discussion of subsidies? That's not how accounting works.

Because Form 8904 (marginal output) and EOR credits are gone. So many essays on oil subsidies point at depreciation as a subsidy since the real ones have been retired as of 2016 or earlier. And if that doesn't work, they claim environment damage as a subsidy.