TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cancelling my reservation

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TheMaverick, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

How did that turn out for you the last time? And why did you make a new reservation after all the complaining you were doing last fall?

Screen Shot 2018-02-08 at 10.23.14 PM.png

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 8
    • Love x 6
    • Disagree x 1
  2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Not afraid to MAGA

A heavy presence of butthurt flows through that one.

3. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Ya, how could anyone be seen in this Weirdmobile Batmobile Volt!

[​IMG]

Show your wife my Volt and she'll reconsider. You too.

• Like x 2
  4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Something is certainly flowing from him...

• Funny x 1
  5. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's nice, for a Volt.

• Funny x 1
  6. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Member

That is a nice Volt. In the right color with the right wheels I think the Volt is not bad looking really. I also think the Bolt is not bad looking either.

• Like x 2
  7. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Member

The Bolt is decidedly different looking. It's not Prius-level weird, whose proportions remind me of a Gremlin, but it's definitely not "traditional". As a micro SUV (I think GM calls it a "compact crossover"?) it certainly doesn't look like a sedan or coupe.

8. T34ME

T34ME Active Member

But that Acura SUV you are buying is the very definition of an "amazing" and "great" car. I see lines of people standing outside the door of the local Acura dealer just waiting to get a glimpse of that amazing and great car.

And when you have your two children sitting in that amazing and great backseat of that Acura, think about all that amazing and great polluted air they are breathing produced by that amazing and great Acura.

But that's okay, you made your decision, you cancelled, and you are moving on, so you won't be around on this forum anymore, right? I know you will be a regular over on the Acura forum, learning about what all those buttons and knobs do.

We all know you were wowed by your short interaction with the car and REALLY want a model 3, probably as much as I want one. You are just trying to justify a rash, impetuous decision and are now suffering from cancelers remorse.

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  9. ummgood

ummgood Member

It is the opposite of the Model 3. The Model 3 is striking in person. I find it looks better than the photos.

I just saw a couple Bolts for the first time last week and they look worse in person than the photos/videos I have seen of them. I really wanted to think they are a decent option but honestly I could never buy something like that. It looks like a cheap bloated Spark that cost 40k. Now if GM made an electric that had the lines of the Cadillac ATS and had the same range/efficiency of the Bolt I think Tesla would have a true competitor.

• Like x 3
  10. 206er

206er Member

I don’t want the Acura or any ICE SUV, trust me. That will be my wife’s car since shes the driver (I only drive 1 day per week, usually to Costco), otherwise I’m on a bike (bicycle). In my perfect world, I’d be happy with an X and my BMC.

And yes, I’ll still be around these parts to see how things go.

• Like x 1
  11. Msjulie

Msjulie Member

Perhaps a CPO X would help the sting of ever-delayed Model 3 over the Acura SUV...

• Like x 1
  12. McRat

McRat Active Member

Oddly enough it's often the traditional automakers who break the mold when it comes to auto fashion.

GM started making new cars with sharp edges in the modern era, but the designs were unlike the old sharp era . They discovered that you could put sharp edges in designs and maintain the CAFE economy reasonably well. Not everything had to look like a suppository. At first, there was quite a bit of backlash over it, but today, many cars incorporate sharp edges at least in some design areas. Both the Volt and Bolt are from that design studio family, but so are the C7 Corvettes, 5th/6th gen Camaros, and CTS-Vs which are all 200+ mph hotrods. Their body shapes do keep them out of gas guzzler range when not equipped with the high performance engines (640hp and up)..

So it's not odd that they would remind you of a Gremlin which was a 'pre-CAD' era sharp edge car. It was not only acceptable to use sharp lines in those years, it was fashionable and cheap to fabricate. Some of this had to do with the limited tools they had to work with for creating complex shapes which were 2D templates and hand made tooling with hand fitted panels. Without CAD/CAM assistance, it was difficult to make cars with complex free-form surfaces and have all the components line up correctly. Designers were stuck with simple arcs, cones, spheres, cylinders, and planes. In today's NURBS era, even what appears to be flat on a car is not. Back window of a GM pickup is actually a 3rd order 3D parametric surface. It's not planes, cylinders, cones, and spheres patched together. Nor parabolic shape. Cubic (or higher) curve acceleration is used. Imagine my surprise when I tried to make a Lexan race window for the back. CRAP!!! All the glass was accelerated 3D curves.

• Informative x 1
  13. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Member

#253 ℬête Noire, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    The context here isn't "Model 3 or Bolt".

The Bolt isn't going to be winning beauty contests (unless you stack the contestant field by putting up against a Prius, as per my example ;) ) but I have zero regrets buying it. The wife is really liking it and I'm now "relegated" to her old Camry Hybrid most of the time (we traded in my Acura TL for the Bolt).

I don't think the Bolt is a true competitor to the Model 3, not meant to be. They are intentionally different format vehicles, it seems GM didn't think going head-to-head was a good idea and figured this could be a good alternative market to target.

P.S. The Y is likely to be a different matter, seems that could be aimed at the space where the Bolt is trying to hit. We'll see when we get details.

• Like x 1
  14. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

The Gremlin was never fashionable.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  15. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Member

#255 ℬête Noire, Feb 9, 2018
    It's the Prius that reminds me of Gremlins, not the Bolt. It's not the sharpness of lines, it's the proportion of the backend behind the windows. It feels out of wack.

P.S. I think the biggest issue with the Bolt styling that sets people off is how close to the ground it is compared to overall vehicle height, the snub nose probably doesn't help that. Also, while reasonably aerodynamic, it doesn't come even close to the Model 3. That's probably more a matter of that height, again. On the upside it's WAY bigger inside than it appears on the outside, and a lot of that has to do with that height. This means that while it's mileage is comparable to the M3 at lower speeds, when you get out on the open road the M3 rocks it.

EDIT: Also, the M3 has a lot more wheel base than the Bolt (11"). The M3 has a smidgen more wheelbase than my Acura TL did, even. The Bolt feels like sitting high driving on go-cart. In a goodish way.

16. N5329K

N5329K Member

But it certainly does look like a Honda Fit.
    Robin

• Like x 2
  17. McRat

McRat Active Member

But it is an example of that era of auto design elements.

It didn't weigh a lot, and if you ordered the 401 cu in engine and tuned it up, it was a freakin' weapon.

Or you could just go nuts. Look Ma! No wheelie bars!! Fast forward to 4m30s:

• Like x 2
  18. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

#258 Dr. J, Feb 9, 2018
    I think "depletion" is the word you're looking for.

Edit: because that's what is different about mineral extraction.
    Depreciation, Depletion and Amortization – DD&A

• Love x 1
  19. N5329K

N5329K Member

But my avatar is electric.
    Robin

• Love x 2
  20. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Opinions may differ. I will offer these:
    1. Above all, trip planning is always a reality for BEV. One looks for charging at destinations for meals, overnights and other long stops. ICE drivers don't do that.
    2. In daily driving the instant torque and responsiveness of BEV's force a better awareness of driving habits in order to reduce energy use.
    3. Both of those factors make a continuous monitoring of remaining range to be a reality. Not so for ICE.

These three are applicable to any BEV. Then there are the Tesla-specifc ones mostly related to OTA updates, computer interfaces and lack of physical switches, especially Model 3.

My comment was not intended to describe those as overwhelming issues. Still, I know quite a few people who will not drive a Tesla because they're Luddities at heart and don't really want to cope with a Smartphone interface as well as those unconventional controls.

These issues are serious impediments to global and ubiquitous BEV adoption. It will happen, but a generation or two of old vehicle buyers probably need to die off before the new auto world becomes the normal auto world.

What percentage of the world are early adopters?