Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's like waiting for a very low (below IFR minima) overcast to lift. I could launch and trust that everything will go according to plan and I won't have to turn around and land (which would be an emergency-only evolution), or I can wait.
I can wait.
Robin

Sorry off topic but: Reminds me of all the 600 and 1200 RVR takeoffs I did. Sweated a few of those until having some air under my a$$. The few 600 RVR Cat 3 approach and landings I did in the Bus were heads down through the entire autoland. The was the easy part compared to taxiing in!

Reactions: pilotSteve
Sorry off topic but: Reminds me of all the 600 and 1200 RVR takeoffs I did. Sweated a few of those until having some air under my a$$. The few 600 RVR Cat 3 approach and landings I did in the Bus were heads down through the entire autoland. The was the easy part compared to taxiing in!
I had to convince tower I was on the runway one time at KMRY. They couldn't see me any better than I could see them.
Robin

Ok....

1.) The LR PUP max version will be sold first (40% high cost)
2.) Delivery estimates get announced to res holders...
3.) Cars start going to employees....
4.) Delivery estimates get bumped (1st time)
4.) Cars start going to current owners..... But we then learn that anyone buying a S or X at anytime (in the past 2 years) get's priority over all those people who laid down the cash long before some of the current owners owned a Tesla (new or used).
5.) AWD now get priority over the SR.
6.) Delivery estimates get bumped a 2nd time.
7.) Majority feel they will not see the tax credit.

Maybe I missed something there....

I guess if I were to be upset about anything would be to not "over promise and under deliver". I get the business aspect of producing in the way that are making cars.... But don't give the public the impression that it's the other way around. Non-Tesla possible customers will be lost forever due to the sense that they aren't being treated fairly based on how it was represented.... Sure, I'm in for the LR PUP MAX version... I am a non-owner.... I get the employee first and past owners second.... But I do not understand the allowance of letting any new purchasers (past the open res date) "jump to the front of the line" perspective.... I also don't understand that some owners of a S or X have had a chance to not only get a Model 3.... But have also been allowed to configure and take possession of a 2nd Model 3. That's major salt in the wound for all those out there that want to be 1st time Tesla owners.

New customers is what will make this company survive.... and at the end of the day, Telsa has not done much in acknowledging that... They gave the impression of a 35k car and tax credits to raise allot of money and came to the conclusion that they had to change the plan (just like the interior change)... then they allow people to jump inline after these new customers put their money down months and years before.

I am in for the long haul (as much as I went from a Tesla fan to being disappointed)... But to see some of these posts backing Tesla in their current game plan is baffling.... Not that there is much we can do about it....

I want the car.... I'm about ready to start hunting down Tesla owners locally and then trying to politely ask to see if they would be so kind as to order me one! LOL!

Chris, I think your post is much more reasonable than the others with their grievances so kudos to you. Wanted to add some color to your points in the hope it makes you feel a little better about your position.

1.) LR PUP... Truthfully if Tesla made a LR, AWD Performance Version of the 3 and was selling it for $80k (Over double $35k) they would still sell every car they made for now. They really need every dollar of revenue they can get right now.
4.) S and X on an individual car basis, is profitable for Tesla. With massive cash burn, a line bump for a $75K car purchase makes sense.
5.) AWD and Air Suspension could yield $4000 more per Model 3 sold. That's probably all marginal profit. It makes sense. And a AWD buyer with LR Battery gets car sooner than AWD with SR. +$13,000 swing. If you are in for $13,000 you might be in for another $5 for PUP. $1000 for Paint and $1500 for wheels..all upselling economics.
7.) A lot will get partial credit. Its not 7500 or zero.

I made two Model 3 reservations on 1/17/17. I was a 'owner' of one Tesla in the system as of Oct 2016. I got the invitation to configure 1 Model 3 but not the other one. People with two configurable reservations probably own two Teslas. They deserve that VIP line treatment considering how much they spent with Tesla already.

Good luck and hope you can configure soon.

I'm considering cancelling and was interested in what others thought. What I find unpleasant is when someone has given very rationale reasons to cancel there comes a posse to question, judge and belittle that person. The apologists for Elon strike their virtuous pose and we the great unwashed who drive Accords don't appreciate the brave who have gone before us buying $100,000 cars. Good lord why even comment in this thread if you are not considering cancelling?

I just got pushed back to September for the LR I think I will have to cancel as well. Good thing I didn't have that electrician come out!
Ford is buying back my car this week and while I was willing to do my 80 mile commute in a full size truck for a few months I really don't want to wait 6 or longer. I figure the date will get pushed back at least one more time before delivery...

It's either that or buy another vehicle in the meantime. ...

Last edited:
I'm considering cancelling and was interested in what others thought. What I find unpleasant is when someone has given very rationale reasons to cancel there comes a posse to question, judge and belittle that person. The apologists for Elon strike their virtuous pose and we the great unwashed who drive Accords don't appreciate the brave who have gone before us buying $100,000 cars. Good lord why even comment in this thread if you are not considering cancelling?

Why care what others think? There is plenty of information here and elsewhere that should allow all of us to decide whether to cancel or whether to stick with it.

I just got pushed back to September for the LR I think I will have to cancel as well. Good thing I didn't have that electrician come out!
Ford is buying back my car this week and while I was willing to do my 80 mile commute in a full size truck for a few months I really don't want to wait 6 or longer. I figure the date will get pushed back at least one more time before delivery...

There are other EV options.
But for your 80 mi commute, the cheapest is ...
The BMW i3 REx. 2014 22k mi asking $16.9k Hollywood. Slightly quicker than Volt, slower than Bolt, way quicker than all EVs but Tesla. BMW badges are complimentary with each car.

No pure BEV in the inexpensive used market can do 80 miles reliably. Cheap enough to leave it at the airport and forget to pick it back up.

Seriously, it will show you if an EV fits your lifestyle, without a significant financial risk. Most you can lose is about $4k for driving it until a Model 3 of your choice is available.

EDIT - IT HAS TO BE REx. The standard model won't do.

There's no taking delight from what other people are getting in a situation like this.
6296553264_e6dea9fdec_o.png

I couldn't resist....

Have you thought about buying a Certified Pre Owned Model S instead. Drive one of these for 2 years and then move on to a Model 3 when the production issues are resolved. Cost would be about the same or less depending on options you would have got on the model 3.
Used Inventory | Tesla

That's a bit cruel. If he had the option of picking one up this week I doubt he'd have cancelled. There's no taking delight from what other people are getting in a situation like this.
Not at all taking delight in one's situation - I waited well over a year and would continue to wait if needed. All I am saying is if you cancel you will be sorry for that decision. Time fly's and the car is worth the wait. Defense is not needed.

"Basically still at the beginning" = 6 months after initial deliveries.
Production progress is measured in units produced, not time passed.

Would not be tolerated at any other car manufacturer, plant/production line managers would have been given the boot and somebody competent found to get the line running.
In fact the head of battery manufacturing "left" the company.

He may not have said the words "I promise" but $35k was a price mentioned multiple times, including in press kits etc.

Just like every automaker advertises their cars starting with the base price but you almost never see one like that sitting in the show room.

I'm considering cancelling and was interested in what others thought. What I find unpleasant is when someone has given very rationale reasons to cancel there comes a posse to question, judge and belittle that person.

Not all of it is rational.

Some people are canceling because they were counting on the full tax credit. That's rational.
Some people are canceling because of life events that compel them to get a car in short order. That's rational.
Some people are canceling because they got a chance to examine the car up close and they aren't impressed. That's rational.

Some people are canceling (or maybe not and just making a stink) because they are upset that rich people get all the benefit, that Tesla is somehow betraying them, that people who purchased a car (new or used) jumping in line is so unfair, despite the vast monetary difference between buying a car and putting down $1000 - a sum Tesla can't even use since it's refundable, that Tesla put off the SR base because they are greedy corporate shills that only care about profits.... That's irrational.

The apologists for Elon strike their virtuous pose and we the great unwashed who drive Accords don't appreciate the brave who have gone before us buying $100,000 cars.

Before I had a Tesla, I drove a civic. Stop presenting this as elitism.

Good lord why even comment in this thread if you are not considering cancelling?
I comment in this thread to try to be rational and a voice of reason for those who are distraught at the delay and are considering canceling. I would ask people to consider the bigger picture; this car in its 35k form will get released. It's not as if Tesla has announced they are removing that config completely. The day that happens, you are THEN justified to claim betrayal (Tesla would also be betraying it's company mission). If you're like me and have had $1000 held by Tesla for near 2 years, I can't imagine many of you needing that $1000 back for financial well-being reasons right this instant. So why not hold on to your reservation, and when the day comes that the 35k config is available, you can rationally evaluate if that is still the best choice for you or if another car is better. Otherwise, all the waiting you've done thus far is completely wasted.

Last edited:
Not at all taking delight in one's situation - I waited well over a year and would continue to wait if needed. All I am saying is if you cancel you will be sorry for that decision. Time fly's and the car is worth the wait. Defense is not needed.

I know! I'm not sure how your wisdom & empathy arrived so misunderstood for that one guy. I knew exactly what you were saying. Sorry you had to wait over a year. I will pray for you. Defense wins championships though. You are soundly wrong on that point.

• Disagree
Reactions: ekw0357

When I see BS in front of me, I have a moral obligation to call it out. Very few have posed "rational" questions/comments/concerns regarding their 3 Cancellation, It is mainly rants, whining and making assumptions about Tesla and Tesla owners.

I drove a Mazda 3 for 10 years before my Tesla which I am certain is not as nice a car as your Accord. What I drove before/now, and how much money (or really how little money) I have is of no bearing to the fundamental truth:

Based on construction restraints, Tesla has created the appropriate trim and have allocated them to the appropriate customers.

It's no secret, that VIN 100,000 of the Model 3 will be better 'put together' than VIN 2500.

The Tesla employees/faithful are actually doing the "unwashed masses" a favor by being willing 1st adopters and taking the hit on any early build pains and bugs.

But NOPE - It's Model ME (Millennial Edition) to you. It's all about ME. Who cares about rational decision making and trying to balance economics/loyalty/shareholders with currently limited production?

Reactions: ekw0357