Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla sold some?

EDIT: Oh right, that was the infamous and ill-advised 40kWh model that even though it was sold at that price it was only to maybe a few hundred people that bought because it was generally a Bad Idea(tm) due to the range was limited.

That doesn't really fit the 215mi range Model 3 SR profile, right?
I suppose.

Difference is base versions of cars of other manufacturers can still be found at launch and can definitely be ordered. I'm pretty sure you can order a base 18 Leaf right now.
I think that Tesla decided to do this one differently. As far as I can tell for the S and X they allowed folks to buy the version of the car they wanted out right, and then made them wait on it being built. That is a bit different for the 3 where they are only offering 1 version for purchase and will add others later. At this point I don't know which would be better. I would think folks would be more mad (see the initial 5 seat X 60D folks) having to wait after paying full price.

It's the inverse really. He's saying the equiv of "I'm getting mine, and you're missing out" and it comes off like "I'm getting to have sex with two supermodels, enjoy your baby oil full of sand". It reads like rubbing it in the face of someone who cannot have the car, at least in my opinion.
Well, that's what schadenfreude means: "pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune." I wasn't taking a position one way or the other, just being the class clown.

• Disagree
Reactions: ekw0357
The difference likely to happen here is that when it shows up on the order page it'll be there to order rather than NEVER showing up at the dealerships. ;)

Well, Tesla doesn't do dealerships, and I do expect the $35K car will eventually show up.

Difference is base versions of cars of other manufacturers can still be found at launch and can definitely be ordered. I'm pretty sure you can order a base 18 Leaf right now.

See above. Tesla does many things differently, they don't always work out as planned. New business paradigm, still working out the kinks.

Reactions: N5329K
Tesla does many things differently, they don't always work out as planned. New business paradigm, still working out the kinks.

Ehhhhh... in that case, I forgive them for failing to meet my Elon hype-fueled expectations, but I don't regret cancelling since it doesn't seem like they just are ready for the mass market, of which I am a part. But they have succeeded at accelerating us toward sustainable transit. 10 years from now, good quality EVs from many manufacturers will be everywhere, and Tesla having ignited that fire should always be celebrated.

Last edited:
I haven’t canceled my reservation but probably will because I need a car now and can’t wait until the end of the year after Tesla moved my day one reservation down the road again. Anyway my concern is with the maintenance issues and the lack of qualified mechanics and the time it takes to get a simple procedure done to a Tesla.

Also, why doesn’t the Chevy Bolt have as many issues like the 3?

• Love
Reactions: Kant.Ing
I haven’t canceled my reservation but probably will because I need a car now and can’t wait until the end of the year after Tesla moved my day one reservation down the road again. Anyway my concern is with the maintenance issues and the lack of qualified mechanics and the time it takes to get a simple procedure done to a Tesla.

No one cares about the Bolt but I spent like five seconds looking anyway being a critical thinker.
10 pages of threads - 2017+ Chevy Bolt EV Issues And Problems - Chevy Bolt EV Forum

When you chase the equivalent of the hottest woman in the automotive world, you are going to have to deal with some crazy.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J

That's a great question, especially since EVs are the only cars that Tesla produces. I'd never buy a Bolt unless it underwent a major face lift that de-weirdmobilized into something that looks like an S, 3 or X, but this is something I hadn't thought of... could the Bolt be a more reliable car than the 3?

My guess on the Bolt would be there are probably plenty of various complaints about the Bolt, as with any new car. However there is significantly less sensitivity and personal gain to be had on the success or failure of the Bolt with respect to the Model 3. Thus, there is less coverage and interest in the media and in the public eye in general with the Bolt. It's out there, it's just that nobody cares, or to be more accurate, very few care.

Dan

That's a great question, especially since EVs are the only cars that Tesla produces. I'd never buy a Bolt unless it underwent a major face lift that de-weirdmobilized into something that looks like an S, 3 or X, but this is something I hadn't thought of... could the Bolt be a more reliable car than the 3?

Most likely the data will show that it is. Regardless of historical anecdotes about GM products, times have changed. JDPower just today released the 3-years-in-service reliability study for this year, and Buick was on top. Even assuming the demographic of the buyer reduces the frequency of problem reports, Buick and Chevrolet were both in the top six. GM has significant corporate experience/knowledge in overall vehicle development and testing protocols, with fairly well proven processes for vehicle assembly. Of course, all companies have problems, things go wrong, and I'm sure this post will be followed by some horror stories about some domestic automobile. But, all existing companies have improved dramatically over the last 20 years and differences between the best and worst are now quite small... 1.1 problems per vehicle...the chance of one additional visit. Here is a quote from JDPower press release today:

"Whether it's GM or Hyundai-Kia or Ford, they've really made some great strides in recent years, just in the fundamental improvements in vehicle dependability," Sargent said. "They've learned from their premium competitors and are doing a great job at catching up."

Tesla, being relatively new, and as any newcomer would, has a lot of learning to do, given where we recently saw them on such a fundamentals as welding steel. For those who haven't spent their career in an auto company and the plants (as I have), this is far more complex than most folks imagine. The knowledge benefits of time and experience have yet to accrue to a level some of us find minimally required.

There are other EV options.
But for your 80 mi commute, the cheapest is ...
The BMW i3 REx. 2014 22k mi asking $16.9k Hollywood. Slightly quicker than Volt, slower than Bolt, way quicker than all EVs but Tesla. BMW badges are complimentary with each car.

No pure BEV in the inexpensive used market can do 80 miles reliably. Cheap enough to leave it at the airport and forget to pick it back up.

Seriously, it will show you if an EV fits your lifestyle, without a significant financial risk. Most you can lose is about $4k for driving it until a Model 3 of your choice is available.

EDIT - IT HAS TO BE REx. The standard model won't do.
My rav4 EV says hi

Reactions: MikeBur
Some people are canceling because people are being snarky on TMC. That's not rational.
its not that irrational...because this will be the main place a new enthusiast/owner will come to for information, help, ideas, and general chit chat regarding the car. If the community sux, then thats one more thing that can make ownership a burden. Its the reason why some people wont buy a car from a certain brand because they don't want to be associated with the "jerks" who already own the car. Sure you can still argue that its not rational, but same can be said for waiting for this car. To each their own.

its not that irrational...because this will be the main place a new enthusiast/owner will come to for information, help, ideas, and general chit chat regarding the car. If the community sux, then thats one more thing that can make ownership a burden.

The community? I don't know about you, but I own a car to get me places. If the community bugs somebody, it is very easy to abandon these websites. And your car will still function when you do. :)

Reactions: Evoforce
its not that irrational...because this will be the main place a new enthusiast/owner will come to for information, help, ideas, and general chit chat regarding the car. If the community sux, then thats one more thing that can make ownership a burden. Its the reason why some people wont buy a car from a certain brand because they don't want to be associated with the "jerks" who already own the car. Sure you can still argue that its not rational, but same can be said for waiting for this car. To each their own.
It's irrational to decide not to purchase a car because one person made one snarky comment.

I love this community. I've made a ton of smart, funny friends in real life because I decided over 7 years ago to buy a Tesla. And sure, I've dealt with snark on this forum. Some pretty major snark. It's all about perspective, I guess.

I think it's more likely he was just looking for an excuse to cancel. So he found one. But it wasn't because of the community.

Still owners-only I assume. What was your reservation date, if I can ask?

On bottom of my signature, but 8/23/17. We were late, and I'm sure the first day non-owners aren't too far off, especially once that equipment from Germany is installed here. What's your timeline? I have to say mine was pretty right on (orig Dec-Feb, then March-May but I honestly thought all along we'd get an invite in February if they moved back to Calif owners with delivery maybe in March if not before. There are a ton of 3/31 non-owners but I wouldn't be surprised if we started to see invites to some of you guys by March if not maybe before then for 1st production.

Reactions: ℬête Noire