Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's irrational to decide not to purchase a car because one person made one snarky comment.

I love this community. I've made a ton of smart, funny friends in real life because I decided over 7 years ago to buy a Tesla. And sure, I've dealt with snark on this forum. Some pretty major snark. It's all about perspective, I guess.

I think it's more likely he was just looking for an excuse to cancel. So he found one. But it wasn't because of the community.

Sure, tomato, tomato, I dont really care outside of a passing curiosity as to why others may leave a forum or why a person would want to cancel a car reservation. Blame it on Elon and his grand projections or because he doesn't like the Tesla kool-ade. Again, to each their own. Some here seem to take it personal (and thats why this thread is 26 pages and counting), when its no big deal why an individual decides to leave.

On a side note, Ive been doing the car enthusiast thing for a lot longer than you say you have...hell, I remember a time when yahoo groups (and its ilk) and irc groups were the best way to get together with other car enthusiasts. So, Ive seen many times when a toxic community (or a perceived toxic community), can drive a person away from a brand or car....so Im just explaining why one would make this decision.

Sure, tomato, tomato, I dont really care outside of a passing curiosity as to why others may leave a forum or why a person would want to cancel a car reservation. Blame it on Elon and his grand projections or because he doesn't like the Tesla kool-ade. Again, to each their own. Some here seem to take it personal (and thats why this thread is 26 pages and counting), when its no big deal why an individual decides to leave.

On a side note, Ive been doing the car enthusiast thing for a lot longer than you say you have...hell, I remember a time when yahoo groups (and its ilk) and irc groups were the best way to get together with other car enthusiasts. So, Ive seen many times when a toxic community (or a perceived toxic community), can drive a person away from a brand or car....so Im just explaining why one would make this decision.
I didn't say how long i'd been doing the 'car enthusiast thing'. What I said was I bought a Tesla over 7 years ago. If a person is going to take offense over one poster (or even a dozen posters), it's certainly his right. That's obvious. But as you likely know, you have to have a bit of a thicker skin in ANY forum or other social media platform. So someone that decides not to buy a car because of a person on a forum is probably not going to find any car forum that will meet their expectations.

Fair?

On bottom of my signature,...

D'oh! Thanks.
What's your timeline?

They have me May-Jul for first production (which I'm down with, AWD would be my only other consideration anyway). I reserved the morning of Apr 1, 2016.

Was not of the tribe. Was vaguely aware that the Model 3 was coming, and that it was going to be something I wanted. However I hadn't even heard about the reservation sign up until late morning on Mar 31 (from an article on Ars Technica). I knew I wanted in but decided I'd wait to talk to the wife before dropping $1000 down, it wasn't entirely clear to me at that point that it was refundable. Wife had a crappy day so I decided to put off bothering her with it till the next evening. Then as I was drinking my coffee the next morning, reading it was confirmed it was refundable I decided to YOLO...then promptly shoved it to the back of my mind for about a year. I brought it up with the wife by taking her to a test drive appointment of a Model S when we got a showroom nearby.

In hindsight I would have saved a lot of waiting by not hesitating but *shrug* it'll get here when it gets here.

P.S. Troy's estimator has me sometime late September, we'll see.

Why care what others think? There is plenty of information here and elsewhere that should allow all of us to decide whether to cancel or whether to stick with it.

If you really had this attitude, then why would you even be on a forum?

The idea of a forum is to have conversations with others, sharing the same experiences. So if I would think about cancelling my reservation, I'd definitely head over here and tell people about my concerns.

I guess nobody who cancels their reservation does it without having some doubt about it. And by asking the other people here, you can get some reaffirmation, that you aren't the only one, as well as some people that will bring up good arguments for you to keep your reservation.

There are enough EV news sites, in varying forms of Tesla fan-boyism, that will give you all the information and opinion, without needing you to participate, or be bothered with a wider spectrum of opinions on things.

Reactions: Kant.Ing

The idea of a forum is to have conversations with others, sharing the same experiences. So if I would think about cancelling my reservation, I'd definitely head over here and tell people about my concerns.

I guess nobody who cancels their reservation does it without having some doubt about it. And by asking the other people here, you can get some reaffirmation, that you aren't the only one, as well as some people that will bring up good arguments for you to keep your reservation.

There are enough EV news sites, in varying forms of Tesla fan-boyism, that will give you all the information and opinion, without needing you to participate, or be bothered with a wider spectrum of opinions on things.
You lost me when you used the fan-boyism remark.

Dan

Reactions: KJD

Like I said earlier, some people on these forums and in this thread express legitimate concerns and frustrations in a rational manner, and I really haven't seen this community react poorly to that. However, there are certain people who post in a way intending to rile people up. And as soon as people take issue with their attitude, they cry foul about how terrible this community is or that it's all about Musk worship.

What you put into this community determines what you get out of it.

Like I said earlier, some people on these forums and in this thread express legitimate concerns and frustrations in a rational manner, and I really haven't seen this community react poorly to that. However, there are certain people who post in a way intending to rile people up. And as soon as people take issue with their attitude, they cry foul about how terrible this community is or that it's all about Musk worship.

What you put into this community determines what you get out of it.

Very true, there are people that just like to toll. There are also people that just don't like it if anything that looks like criticism is posted.

IMO the best solution would be to ignore both, but that's really hard:
duty_calls.png

(xkcd: Duty Calls)
The thing is that the trolls don't mind if you spend all your time disagreeing with them, I personally do think they like it. But some times there are real people, with real problems behind the other computer screen and telling them to not post their posts, because of the bad vibe, is not really helpful.

We are not Team Tesla, or at least we should not be, not here. We should be on the side of Tesla owners and those who want to be.

So if, for example, just hypothetically, someone thinks about cancelling, because they can't get the tax credit on the base car. We could tell them that they were stupid to reserve it in the first place, we could tell them that if they can't afford it without the tax credit, they shouldn't buy it anyways. We could tell them to shut up and go somewhere else.

Not sure if we would be better than the trolls, that just post to rile people up.

Could be worse...try arguing with a "Flat-Earther" following the Falcon Heavy launch. Truly believe those people just love the argument...could care less about the issue at hand. They just love to see how they can manipulate a group of people just by arguing a point they know will make a large segment of the population take issue. Some people just need to get a hobby or something. (I was going to say get laid, but that's probably inappropriate. LOL!)

Dan

Reactions: R.S
I didn't say how long i'd been doing the 'car enthusiast thing'. What I said was I bought a Tesla over 7 years ago. If a person is going to take offense over one poster (or even a dozen posters), it's certainly his right. That's obvious. But as you likely know, you have to have a bit of a thicker skin in ANY forum or other social media platform. So someone that decides not to buy a car because of a person on a forum is probably not going to find any car forum that will meet their expectations.

Fair?

I must disagree with your assessment, I am a member of 5 other auto enthusiasts group (V8, OffRoading, Military Vehicles), they all are several levels nicer and more respectful to each other, you won't see any name calling or shaming people about finances or living at mom's place comments there. They will kick you out immediately.

The only other forum that I have seen with similar amount of toxicity is nasioc, but their excuse is that they are mostly kids.

I must disagree with your assessment, I am a member of 5 other auto enthusiasts group (V8, OffRoading, Military Vehicles), they all are several levels nicer and more respectful to each other, you won't see any name calling or shaming people about finances or living at mom's place comments there. They will kick you out immediately.

The only other forum that I have seen with similar amount of toxicity is nasioc, but their excuse is that they are mostly kids.
Try Tesla Model 3 Owners Club

They tend to be a little more low key over there.

Dan

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and McRat

I'll definitely agree that I've seen more toxicity over the last several months. The forum has exploded with new members and most are waiting on their Model 3. Tensions are running higher.

If you see someone name calling or shaming people about finances, PLEASE report it so the moderators can address it. That type of rudeness isn't allowed. There is a shortage of volunteer moderators & they cannot catch everything. Simply too many posts to read.

I do report posts of the type you mention - and usually I see it addressed within a few hours. Mods appreciate the heads up, especially if things are getting contentious. Having been a mod here and obviously around since it was primarily made up of Roadster owners, I can tell you that things have gotten testy around here as people were waiting for the first Model S, the first Model X, and now the first Model 3s. Everyone is on edge. It's not new, it's just there are a LOT more.

It seems to be worse with each model release - perhaps because each group has been larger than the last & understandably less of an early adopter mentality. (And obviously there are Model 3 reservation holders that have an early adopter mentality - just saying as Tesla goes more mass market, there will be less customers with that mindset.) Long time members are offended by things that look like an entitled mindset, new members are offended by older members with the 'this is how it goes' mentality. No one is right or wrong here, just some natural tensions that you won't find on other car forums, because they're simply not going through the same type of membership change.

We can all help lower tensions by refusing to buy into posts that are deliberately trying to escalate emotions. Either put the person on ignore or ignore the post, if they're pressing buttons.

But I still maintain there is a wonderful community here. Maybe I just mentally filter out all the jerks. But I didn't quit beekeeping when I joined a beek forum full of people who HATED new beekeepers. (Seriously, those people were ***holes.) I just quit the forum. :)

Could be worse...try arguing with a "Flat-Earther" following the Falcon Heavy launch. Truly believe those people just love the argument...could care less about the issue at hand. They just love to see how they can manipulate a group of people just by arguing a point they know will make a large segment of the population take issue. Some people just need to get a hobby or something. (I was going to say get laid, but that's probably inappropriate. LOL!)

Dan

I've always wondered if the flat earthers are just getting a kick out of trolling, or if they are really so blinded by belief that nothing could ever change their mind. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just trolling. But at the same time, scientific literacy is in the dumps these days.

Reactions: 206er and R.S
I've always wondered if the flat earthers are just getting a kick out of trolling, or if they are really so blinded by belief that nothing could ever change their mind. I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just trolling. But at the same time, scientific literacy is in the dumps these days.
I'm sure there are a few that are holding to some deep set belief system, but I am convinced that the majority of them are just using a preposterous, already proven wrong theory that they will know will rile up all the other reasonable people of the world to insight as much argument and vitriol as they can. Just keyboard commandos getting their kicks sitting behind their computer screens and stirring the pot.

Dan

I I am a member of 5 other auto enthusiasts group (V8, OffRoading, Military Vehicles), they all are several levels nicer and more respectful to each other, you won't see any name calling or shaming people about finances or living at mom's place comments there.
This isn’t a “auto enthusiasts” forum. It’s a Tesla forum. Most of us (at least until people came here for the Model 3) had never been interested in cars before— we became interested in EVs for various reasons.

No one cares about the Bolt but I spent like five seconds looking anyway being a critical thinker.
10 pages of threads - 2017+ Chevy Bolt EV Issues And Problems - Chevy Bolt EV Forum

When you chase the equivalent of the hottest woman in the automotive world, you are going to have to deal with some crazy.

Well, hottest woman goes a bit far.

But I think you have a two valid points, though.

1. We notice Tesla issues, because we follow Tesla. Forums usually tend to amplify problems, because it only takes a small fraction of all customers to have an issue and post it, to make it seem like a major problem.

2. Every car is a compromise. A Ferrari is cool to drive, but super unpractical and expensive to own. A Honda CRV is much more practical and cheaper, but a lot more boring.

You will never find the perfect car, that's cheap, fun to drive, well built, innovative, reliable. You can only find your own optimum.

If you see someone name calling or shaming people about finances, PLEASE report it so the moderators can address it. That type of rudeness isn't allowed. There is a shortage of volunteer moderators & they cannot catch everything. Simply too many posts to read.

Long time members are offended by things that look like an entitled mindset, new members are offended by older members with the 'this is how it goes' mentality. No one is right or wrong here, just some natural tensions that you won't find on other car forums, because they're simply not going through the same type of membership change.

I have never seen someone shame with finances with respect to "you are too poor to own a Tesla, go buy a Civic". It's more of being critical on the sense of entitlement and the arrogance shown on how "companies should be run".
Rather than just be offended, studying Economics/OR read other posts on the subject OR asking humbly would explain perfectly why Tesla does what they do and every other rational agent would do things roughly the same. (Extract as much margin as you can, as fast as you can, and a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow)

Personally I think with new members and how I approach new social groups:

0.) Assume you know nothing.
1.) Respect your elders.
2.) Observe, listen, read, research.
3.) Post cautiously and humbly with the aim to inquire versus declare.

Last edited:
Reactions: JRP3