Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, been waiting for the right Tesla for over a decade, but more and more, I'm thinking the Model 3 isn't it. My wife is mostly interested in adaptive cruise control and there are many cars on the market now that offer it at much lower prices than Tesla. As a CPA, she has a problem with buying four features she doesn't need to get the one she wants, with beta software at that. She has also noted that to charge a Model 3, she would have to back down our driveway, which isn't very wide.

Ironically those address each other...as soon as the Autopilot is updated with Summon. ;)

Yeah, been waiting for the right Tesla for over a decade, but more and more, I'm thinking the Model 3 isn't it. My wife is mostly interested in adaptive cruise control and there are many cars on the market now that offer it at much lower prices than Tesla. As a CPA, she has a problem with buying four features she doesn't need to get the one she wants, with beta software at that. She has also noted that to charge a Model 3, she would have to back down our driveway, which isn't very wide.

Make sure it's stop and go cruise control, or in my opinion it's worthless. Most inexpensive cars don't have that.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker

Probably a minority voice here, but I've had ACC, quickly learned to dislike it, and would never have it again if possible. As executed in the 2016 Audi A6, despite the ability to set following distances to preference, it has the following two problems:

• If you set a reasonable distance, others frequently cut into that space, causing the car to drop back even further, inviting in more cars into your headway space. The further you go, the further back you fall. Does it affect your eventual final arrival time? Probably not much, but makes for an aggravating driving experience.
  • When someone does come into that space, most alert/trained drivers may ease off the throttle and let the space be re-created by your car drifting back a bit. ACC doesn't think that way...it hits the brakes NOW and HARD to re-create the space immediately, possibly thinking it's about to hit something otherwise. I've had someone behind me almost in our trunk on more than one occasion with such sudden braking.
It was so bad, I've stopped using cruise control at all in this car, while we have it. There is no fallback "normal" cruise control. BTW, the car is up for sale.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Probably a minority voice here, but I've had ACC, quickly learned to dislike it, and would never have it again if possible. As executed in the 2016 Audi A6, despite the ability to set following distances to preference, it has the following two problems:

• If you set a reasonable distance, others frequently cut into that space, causing the car to drop back even further, inviting in more cars into your headway space. The further you go, the further back you fall. Does it affect your eventual final arrival time? Probably not much, but makes for an aggravating driving experience.
  • When someone does come into that space, most alert/trained drivers may ease off the throttle and let the space be re-created by your car drifting back a bit. ACC doesn't think that way...it hits the brakes NOW and HARD to re-create the space immediately, possibly thinking it's about to hit something otherwise. I've had someone behind me almost in our trunk with such sudden braking in the left lane.
It was so bad, I've stopped using cruise control at all in this car, while we have it. There is no fallback "normal" cruise control. BTW, the car is up for sale.

You should test drive an S and see if you feel that it exhibits the same behavior.

• When someone does come into that space, most alert/trained drivers may ease off the throttle and let the space be re-created by your car drifting back a bit. ACC doesn't think that way...it hits the brakes NOW and HARD to re-create the space immediately, possibly thinking it's about to hit something otherwise. I've had someone behind me almost in our trunk on more than one occasion with such sudden braking.
On my wife's Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, we quickly learned to set the follow distance at 2 rather than the default 4 for just that reason. With this adjustment we find the adaptive cruise to be a godsend in highway traffic. It keeps us a safe distance without encouraging others to cut in. I am really looking forward to learning the ins and outs of Tesla's autopilot.

Dan

Reactions: david_42
You should test drive an S and see if you feel that it exhibits the same behavior.
My S doesn't have TACC but the X does. It seems to be a lot smarter about "slamming on the brakes" when people cut into the space in front of me. It slowly eases and allows that gap to broaden to whatever my following distance is. I find it really useful and use it all the time on road trips. I even feel comfortable enough to use it while pulling our Airstream.

My S doesn't have TACC but the X does. It seems to be a lot smarter about "slamming on the brakes" when people cut into the space in front of me. It slowly eases and allows that gap to broaden to whatever my following distance is. I find it really useful and use it all the time on road trips. I even feel comfortable enough to use it while pulling our Airstream.

Yeah I agree, but I'm a huuuuuuuuuuge proponent of TACC in general so I have to try and set my bias aside. My 3 is my 3rd car with TACC and it's sooooo far ahead of the other two systems I've had in the past, too.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J and daniel
On my infiniti if you hold down the ACC button for a few seconds it then switches to normal speed cruise control. And yes my 11-year old ACC can be jerky as you describe.

Honestly, even after canceling a few weeks ago I'm less enthusiastic about this car today than I was a month ago. Just seems like an unfinished beta product that could eventually be a great vehicle, but isn't there yet. Of course, my mass market expectations for reliability (Honda/Acura background) definitely play a role in how I'm evaluating the 3.

... my mass market expectations for reliability (Honda/Acura background) definitely play a role in how I'm evaluating the 3.

Way back when Tesla and Nissan were starting to make noises about building electric cars, my deepest wish was that Honda would make an EV. I loved my Civic. It was 100% reliable, and the Honda dealership treated me like royalty even though I had bought their least expensive car. Sadly, Honda seemed to have no interest in that direction, and even their hybrid was so hard to find that I could not get a test ride. So I got the Prius in 2004, which has been totally reliable; then the Xebra in 2006 which was a piece of crap but I loved it, and then finally, in 2011, the Roadster, which has been pretty good as far as reliability. In 6 1/2 years I think there were two times it needed critical repair work.

I have high hopes for my Model 3. Yes, it's a work in progress, but that's what it means to be an early adopter. I don't have enough time left to waste it waiting for a perfect car.

Way back when Tesla and Nissan were starting to make noises about building electric cars, my deepest wish was that Honda would make an EV. I loved my Civic. It was 100% reliable, and the Honda dealership treated me like royalty even though I had bought their least expensive car. Sadly, Honda seemed to have no interest in that direction, and even their hybrid was so hard to find that I could not get a test ride. So I got the Prius in 2004, which has been totally reliable; then the Xebra in 2006 which was a piece of crap but I loved it, and then finally, in 2011, the Roadster, which has been pretty good as far as reliability. In 6 1/2 years I think there were two times it needed critical repair work.

I have high hopes for my Model 3. Yes, it's a work in progress, but that's what it means to be an early adopter. I don't have enough time left to waste it waiting for a perfect car.

I parked my Civic (8th Generation, Model year 2011) next to a Model 3 this weekend.

If you liked Civics, you’ll like the Model 3. The 3 is slightly bigger. The only fault I can find with Model 3’s design is the low bench height of the rear seats, but people who buy a car of this class for passenger hauling are mostly going to be carting around small kids.

The low dashboard is going to give a driver’s view that should be similar to, and probably better than, the expansive view from a Honda of the Mid to late 90’s. Model S is too big for me. Model 3 looks much closer to “just right” in size.

I parked my Civic (8th Generation, Model year 2011) next to a Model 3 this weekend.

If you liked Civics, you’ll like the Model 3. The 3 is slightly bigger. The only fault I can find with Model 3’s design is the low bench height of the rear seats, but people who buy a car of this class for passenger hauling are mostly going to be carting around small kids.

The low dashboard is going to give a driver’s view that should be similar to, and probably better than, the expansive view from a Honda of the Mid to late 90’s. Model S is too big for me. Model 3 looks much closer to “just right” in size.

Emphasis mine.

The Model 3 is hugely bigger than my old 1989 Honda Civic. The Prius is bigger than the Civic was, and the Model 3 is a lot bigger (both longer and wider) than the Prius. The size of the Model 3 is the thing I most dislike about it. It's like that old movie The Blob where the thing kept growing and growing. Cars keep getting bigger and bigger. I would really love the Model 3 to be 12 inches narrower and 24 inches shorter!