Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No clue why congress didn't limit the tax rebate to folks making under a certain amount of money (see California) or for cars that cost under a certain amount (see Germany).
It's taking f-o-r-e-v-e-r for any manufacturer to get to 200,000 US deliveries (I think the credit was put in place in 2009, right?), so limiting it would (probably) have defeated the purpose (speeding up EV development) and (certainly) limited its impact. Not saying both of those are aren't good ideas, but they don't really address the purpose of the credit. IMHO.

I am still holding on to my two reservations, but probably only getting one.

If US reservations for the base version have been pushed to early 2019, I can't imagine when we in Europe will get a chance to buy any Model 3. And by then my current S will be replaced by another lease.

i thought the intent was to bring the EVs to the masses. if by masses, you mean upper middle class, then elon succeeded. with this delay, EVERY one of the 200K teslas delivered with a full tax credit in the US will be to those who can afford a $45K car (or much greater). All of those fringe buyers looking for an EV they can be excited about for under 30K after incentives, and put their 1K down almost 2 years ago are going to be disappointed. It is really a shame that the bulk of these tax incentives miss the people who needed it the most.
Your presumption was incorrect. The entity you should be disappointed in, is not Tesla or Congress, it is yourself for having expectations that were not realistic. Figure that a model 3 is a heck of a bargain at $35k for a car with great looks and advanced technology. It is well worth $35K and that is a more than fair price, the $7500 tax credit was just icing on the cake if you would qualify during the expiry window. The tax credit should not have been expected, it should have been a nice surprise if you received it.
No clue why congress didn't limit the tax rebate to folks making under a certain amount of money (see California) or for cars that cost under a certain amount (see Germany).
Congress did not limit income levels because they wanted to get as many Evs in the hands of as many people, as quickly as possible. Personally, I would like to see the tax credit increased and extended indefinitely to be on par with ICE vehicle subsidies to the oil industry, regardless of income level. That strategy is less expensive than health insurance costs for air quality health related issues.

For those that cannot afford a $35,000 car (and there is no shame in that) you can always purchase a Smart, Bolt, LEAF, Fiat 500e and still get the tax credit. Yes, I understand that the model 3 is twice the car as the others currently available for about the same price, but it is necessary to establish personal priorities. I would like to have my own personal executive jet to shuttle me from here to there instead of using crappy airlines, but I just can't afford it right now.

Your presumption was incorrect. The entity you should be disappointed in, is not Tesla or Congress, it is yourself for having expectations that were not realistic. Figure that a model 3 is a heck of a bargain at $35k for a car with great looks and advanced technology. It is well worth $35K and that is a more than fair price, the $7500 tax credit was just icing on the cake if you would qualify during the expiry window. The tax credit should not have been expected, it should have been a nice surprise if you received it.

Congress did not limit income levels because they wanted to get as many Evs in the hands of as many people, as quickly as possible. Personally, I would like to see the tax credit increased and extended indefinitely to be on par with ICE vehicle subsidies to the oil industry, regardless of income level. That strategy is less expensive than health insurance costs for air quality health related issues.

For those that cannot afford a $35,000 car (and there is no shame in that) you can always purchase a Smart, Bolt, LEAF, Fiat 500e and still get the tax credit. Yes, I understand that the model 3 is twice the car as the others currently available for about the same price, but it is necessary to establish personal priorities. I would like to have my own personal executive jet to shuttle me from here to there instead of using crappy airlines, but I just can't afford it right now.

Where are all of these subsdies to the oil companies people always talk about?

Having spent over 2 hours with a 3 a few weeks ago, I will say that it’s a great car. However, it is not worth waiting almost another year for (now my third estimated delivery delay and counting).

I’m feeling extremely fleeced by Elon - guy secured an interest free loan from me (reservation payment) for a car I hadn’t seen before reserving, and just told me that it might be another year before I should receive it. Either he's incompetent at planning and project management, or he knowingly deceived me in order to grab $1k from me. Thank goodness it’s refundable!

My Tesla fanaticism has been suspended indefinitely.

If you truly feel fleeced you should just cancel your reservation and look for something else that you'll get sooner. You've seen the car and you know there are people who have theirs and it's not Elon's fault that so many people also want one and are willing to wait for one. As he said in the conference call yesterday they kind of got cocky having been making batteries for several years now, didn't think they'd have the problems they have had with these new batteries. On top of that especially that the equipment that was sold to them and promised to work as required didn't, requiring them to start over with other automatic equipment, setting them back months in production time. I liked that he said his Gigafactory workers have really stepped up and did an amazing job in the meantime having to adjust to assembling with a semi-automated system. I do expect cars will continue to get in customer's hands but at a much slower rate until the equipment arrives. One thing I would say about Elon is that he doesn't give up on things, always works to improve them and I'm sure he and his team will solve this problem too.

I also bailed this morning. My reservation was only June 2017, but as a current MS owner, I was hoping to get a Base 3 before the end of the tax subsidy. Standard trim delivery estimate now showing "Early 2019", so I submitted the cancellation request.

Honestly, a premium M3 without the tax credit is roughly the same cost as my base 2016 model S was with the tax break...and has numerous disadvantages compared to the MS, so the entire scene no longer makes sense to me.

Mar-May, though who knows what that estimate is worth?

A $35k Tesla with the full federal tax credit is the only Tesla that fits into my budget. I stood in line for hours outside before the store opened to reserve one. I will have a 2nd child by summer and need a car slightly larger than our Acura ILX to accommodate our larger family before the kid is born. For almost 2 years, I planned on that car being the $35k Model 3 (two rear facing car seats fit!). My wife, backed by her moms group friends, wants our next car to be an Acura RDX, Audi Q5, or Volvo XC60. So this delay doesn’t just mean another likely canceled reservation, it also means another terrible gas mileage ICE SUV purchase. I’m sick.

If it were me in your situation and I really wanted the Model 3 as my next car, I would consider sitting on the reservation (assuming I could leave the deposit out there) and consider picking up a solid used car to use until the invite arrives with the intention of trading it in or selling it at Model 3 delivery. You lose so much in depreciation if you buy a new car and you'd then be locked into keeping it for a longer time.

Reactions: bpjod
Update: I just cancelled. We will probably be leasing a 2018 RDX, Q5, or XC60 this weekend, or wait until the 2019 RDX is available this summer (looks amazing).

So Elon looses me as a fan and likely customer (for now), and the environment looses because we will be one more poor gas mileage SUV on the road.

Hopefully there will be an assortment of great EV options on the market in 3 years.

Honestly, I feel kind of liberated right now...

Reactions: DamageInc
line 63 on your 1040 is $0?
"Only stupid people pay taxes." Let me think, who said that? hmmmmmmm, thinking, thinking
t9004.gif

Okay, call me half stupid!