Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been so very excited about the Model 3 to the degree that I took a day off work to stand in line on 3/31/16 and bought an interim used Leaf to get me through the delay gap when my last lease expired. This delay might do me in though. I don’t know if I want to drive around for another year in an old Leaf waiting for the eventual standard range model and I can’t afford long range and premium without putting me into an uncomfortable financial position.

Very disappointed.

You should complain to your state's AG. This SR Model 3 delay smells.

This won't be a popular opinion, but I doubt any non-owner will see a Model 3SR RWD early than 2019.5.
Why? Employees get a crack, existing Tesla owners go next, the foreign market will be active, AWDs and 3LRs will most likely be produced until their demand falters. All these have to be serviced before selling quantities of M3SR's makes any sense.

Hey Butter, I see you fighting the good fight and all, but seriously - just let these people go. I know lots of people who will be delighted to move ahead in line when the weak hands bow out. Tesla has demand out the door and around the block and down the street for miles - they'll be totally production limited essentially forever. In a few years the wait will be down to something more reasonable and then people who can't handle the wait won't have to. No need for anyone to suffer.

I know we like to see the EV community as a big kumbaya free love community but pioneers are going to catch a few arrows and some folks just aren't cut out for pioneering. Better to let those folks stay in the old country. It's not going to change the outcome of the migration and those of us along on the trip can get mighty tired of hearing the regular 'consumers' whining about how their Tahoe has ten cupholders in the back seat.
Pioneers rode the Mayflower. Not in the back of a corporate jet. Model 3 was supposed to be Tesla's entry into the mass market space. That entry will not happen in 2018. Maybe in 2019? We'll see.
Robin

So most people who cancelled or is considering mainly because they feel they’re betrayed. I feel that way too.

But I see there’s no reason to cancel unless you absolutely need that $1000 deposit back immediately. It’s a small price to pay to hold the spot. Even if you’re getting an ICE now, you can still get the $1000 back when it’s finally your turn to configure and you still want to stick with the ICE.

• Love
Reactions: Lem89
So most people who cancelled or is considering mainly because they feel they’re betrayed. I feel that way too.

But I see there’s no reason to cancel unless you absolutely need that $1000 deposit back immediately. It’s a small price to pay to hold the spot. Even if you’re getting an ICE now, you can still get the $1000 back when it’s finally your turn to configure and you still want to stick with the ICE.

I will be filling out a complaint about Tesla to my AG in Hawaii. I will post a copy of it on the board. The complaint is regarding Tesla making little effort to deliver the car they presented, at the price they indicated. This is definitely consumer deception,

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
Why? The next 1 1/2 years for the Model Y will be designing. How does that conflict with anything going on with the Model 3?

You know Apple is already working on the next iPhone before the current ones are released.
I'm not talking about working on it. That's not salt in the wound.

I'm not saying they shouldn't work on it, however with a 400+ backlog of Model 3 waiters.....to introduce an article talking about the "Production of the Model Y" is just not a good idea. They can't even produce the Model 3 to care for their current backlog.

Its like having a child and not caring for it the way you promised.....then putting out a blurb about how you have such great ideas about caring for the next one in the birth canal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 206er
Typical, Someone complains about the the fictitious subsidies to the oil industry but can't seem to figure out what they actually are.
The IMF took a stab at it: IMF Survey : Counting the Cost of Energy Subsidies
Energy subsidies are projected at US$5.3 trillion in 2015, or 6.5 percent of global GDP, according to a recent IMF study. Most of this arises from countries setting energy taxes below levels that fully reflect the environmental damage associated with energy consumption.

Edit: that's not just oil, though.

It doesn't affect me so much as I couldn't wait to get out of my 2-seater with a kid on the way and bought another vehicle, but its just a shame that this tax credit goes to basically zero percent of those that need it most.

Elon's a libertarian - he'd probably say "deal with it".
You said the $35k ($27.5k after credit) Model 3 was the only Tesla you could afford, but the ICE SUVs you listed start at $36k, $41k, and $41.5k. The long-range Model 3 starts at $49k ($41.5k after credit), which is clearly within your budget.

Your wife wants an SUV. It’s okay. When it’s time for her next car (~5 years), there’ll be the Model Y and probably multiple other EV SUV options.
We will be leasing our next car (lower negotiated monthly payments for 36 months). With the 3, we were going to purchase (higher monthly payments, eventually to be offset by the full tax credit).

Reactions: alloverx
In year specified, 2013, the US had about $250 billion in known fossil fuel profits. It can never be truly known since privately held companies do not have to report. So the number could be much higher.

The article says $3.2 billion in subsidies. They do not specify whether they are including depreciation of assets.
Why would that be included in a discussion of subsidies? That's not how accounting works.

I’ve been so very excited about the Model 3 to the degree that I took a day off work to stand in line on 3/31/16 and bought an interim used Leaf to get me through the delay gap when my last lease expired. This delay might do me in though. I don’t know if I want to drive around for another year in an old Leaf waiting for the eventual standard range model and I can’t afford long range and premium without putting me into an uncomfortable financial position.

Very disappointed.
I took time off of work to reserve as well, and bought our last car after the lease ended (at a great residual) simply because buying something else with its features or leasing a new car when I expected to receive the 3 within a year or 2 didn't make sense financially. The 3 was totally on the way, per Elon. Had I known then what I know today, I would never have reserved a 3 or bought the stupid ILX after the end of its lease.

With the 3, we were going to purchase (higher monthly payments, eventually to be offset by the full tax credit).

You don’t have to wait for the tax credit. You can immediately start withholding $625/month less & have next year's tax return be unchanged. Just remember to reset your withholding after 12 months.

Financially, compared to the ICE SUVs, you’d be way ahead the first year, and even to slightly ahead over the course of 5 years.

You don’t have to wait for the tax credit. You can immediately start withholding $625/month less & have next year's tax return be unchanged. Just remember to reset your withholding after 12 months.

Financially, compared to the ICE SUVs, you’d be way ahead the first year, and even to slightly ahead over the course of 5 years.
Already cancelled, need a new car no later than May 2018 for kid #2. Thought I'd have a 3 by now.

Look up where Tesla sources its cobalt.

Hint: it ain’t the Democratic Republic of Congo.
You can't quote the fossil fuel industry as a whole and talk about the impact it has, then say oh, tesla doesn't get cobalt from DRC so the harm cobalt mining causes is irrelevant.

Also regardless of where tesla gets it cobalt it doesn't change how it's mined, look up copper mining and tell me there is no environmental impact. :rolleyes:

I've been on the ev train since 2009 when I converted a mazda miata to ev and also a Tesla fan since they existed. Stood in line to place two reservations for the 3 and being retired will not spend more than necessary. Not happy about the delay and sad to see that Tesla has not learned their lesson in regard to delays. I was more interested in the Y and gave my reservations to my 2 sons but I think they will cancel now as there needs are before Tesla can deliver. To tell you the truth I'm not interested anymore in the Y either. Elon can send a dummy to mars but this dummy isn't interested anymore.

I agree with the posters who are advising people to cancel. After all it is just a car. It is not worth getting a heartburn and feel frustrated. I saw the same anxiety and forum posts during the Model X release. Does anyone even remember that now ? Those of you who are frustrated, cancelling may be the best thing you could do. It will give you a break from Tesla, visiting this forum, listening to earnings call, and trying to figure out delivery timelines. Instead, take a break from Tesla and revisit in a few years when things are more streamlined.