Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling my X Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for second opinions on Model X, after the Cybertruck announcement.

Question:
  • Any thoughts or speculation on what will change on the Model X in the next year?
  • Is it a terrible time to upgrade a Model X when we have a 2016?

Thoughts
  • My SA just notified me that my 2020 LR MX 6 seat white/white is available for pick up Nov 30.
  • We have a P90DL X 2016, and range is king but we can live with it for now as our Model 3 is excellent.
  • The Cybertruck (fugly design aside) looks like such a great value. It's bigger, faster, cheaper and has more range. Although it's still a pipe dream, we can definitely hold our X until then.
  • The Build quality is ~better~ on the new X, but we'll definitely miss:
    • Active Spoiler
    • Alcantra Dash
    • Glossy Seatbacks
    • Ludicrous mode
    • $40k loss we'll take to upgrade

Any second opinions or thoughts are appreciated!

If you pull the trigger on the Raven MX, by the time the Cybertruck realistically becomes available, that Raven MX would be the same age as your P90DL is today. And judging by the itch you got into replacing the P90DL with a LR Raven, chances are, you'll be in the same boat when Cyber Truck comes out. So I'd say jump in the LR Raven and don't look back.

Although, personally, I'm hoping there are far better options than the Cyber Truck when the time comes. :cool:

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The Raven is far superior to your 2016, and a lot cheaper too (yes, your financial loss is just "on paper" right now, until you sell the car, but hey, the future will not be any kinder to depreciation, so why wait). There is a decent chance your CyberTruck on order will get delayed and literally not be in your possession before a full 3 years from now. Willing to wait 36+ months with your '16 MX?

If I have a Ludicrous Performing 2016 Model X that can be Supercharged (maybe free even) for longer trips, and with a Model 3 as a back up - I would keep them for now. I would then reserve a Tri-Motor Cybertruck (for $100), and wait to see if/when and what a Plaid Model X will be like. That way I can compare the Plaid X and CyberTruck to replace my P100DL X.

Totally crazy thought: The Cybertruck could portend the next look of the Model X. Conventional doors, conventional steel, but flat sides. Cheaper production costs leaving money for better luxury inside.

That is, if more people warm up to the look of the truck.

It never hurts to wait if you do not need a new vehicle.

Reactions: titus65
If the only two options presented are "upgrade to Raven X, skip Cybertruck" or "skip Raven X upgrade, wait for Cybertruck", then for me the easy answer would be "skip upgrade, wait", but that's because of...

$40k loss we'll take to upgrade

Personally I would only take that kind of hit if I were changing class of vehicle, not just to increase range and "build quality". Good luck in your decision.

People putting off buying is one of the downsides whenever a newer product is pre-announced. At introduction it is a fantastic product, with absolutely no issues. Glamor opening makes it look so advanced.

On the other side, I traded up from my X75 a few months ago to a new Long Range Raven. It is overall a better vehicle with smoother and better handling suspension, longer range and upgraded computers.

You could easily get another couple years out of your existing X, but the new Raven really offers enough to justify the upgrade now.

Imagine the PLAID version of the X will be also become available in a couple more years too. This also will advance the capabilities of that car.

I purchased a X Performance and all I can say - worth every penny. I'd order sooner than later as the free supercharging can be dropped at anytime. Even if it doesn't add up to a ton for you (for me - 15,000 miles of supercharging in 7 weeks...!) but the feeling of free few on long trips has a phycological effect!

I purchased a X Performance and all I can say - worth every penny. I'd order sooner than later as the free supercharging can be dropped at anytime. Even if it doesn't add up to a ton for you (for me - 15,000 miles of supercharging in 7 weeks...!) but the feeling of free few on long trips has a phycological effect!
you drove 15,000 miles in 7 weeks and all charged at Superchargers? Any noticeable degradation on the battery or charging speed reduction?

Question:
  • Any thoughts or speculation on what will change on the Model X in the next year?

Thoughts
  • My SA just notified me that my 2020 LR MX 6 seat white/white is available for pick up Nov 30.
  • We have a P90DL X 2016, and range is king but we can live with it for now as our Model 3 is excellent.
  • The Cybertruck (fugly design aside) looks like such a great value. It's bigger, faster, cheaper and has more range. Although it's still a pipe dream, we can definitely hold our X until then.
    • Active Spoiler
    • Alcantra Dash
    • Glossy Seatbacks
    • Ludicrous mode

Are you going to return all of your suits and pants because now you can buy jeans? They are different things for different uses.

The Build quality is ~better~ on the new X, but we'll definitely miss:
  • Active Spoiler
  • Alcantra Dash
  • Glossy Seatbacks
  • Ludicrous mode
I did the math too and it does not come close, but I don't have a P with presumed 22" inch wheels. The only real upgrade for me would be the range. For $40k I am willing to stop two additional times on a 600 mile trip that I do twice a year. The rest of the time it's really not needed as one stop usually is all I would make a trip, usually at lunch or dinner.

I am not interested in FSD as I rarely use my lane keeping feature. Have no interest in Summons nor Sentry. The better blind side detection could possibly be nice but with loaners I was not really blown away by it's accuracy.

My car is as close as any other Tesla on body work and I like my leather seats and other interior stuff that you cannot get on the new cars.

Question:

Thoughts
    • Active Spoiler
    • Alcantra Dash
    • Glossy Seatbacks
    • Ludicrous mode

I actually just sold my 2016 and replaced it with a 2020 Raven. There's enough of a difference between my 2017 MX EAP 2.0 and 2016 MX AP1.0 that I thought it was a reasonable time to switch to a HW3.0, especially with the new motors, suspension, longer range, etc.

Compared to my sold 2016, and my exisitng 2017 MX; the 2020 actually had worse quality. The materials didn't feel as nice, panel gaps/build quality was worse, and there was definitely more wind noise. We also weren't a fan of the new suspension. It was so bad, we returned the car and currently looking for a used one. If you can swing it, order it and keep your 2016 and sell it privately after you know you want to keep your 2020.

• Informative
Reactions: jet44 and aesculus
I actually just sold my 2016 and replaced it with a 2020 Raven. There's enough of a difference between my 2017 MX EAP 2.0 and 2016 MX AP1.0 that I thought it was a reasonable time to switch to a HW3.0, especially with the new motors, suspension, longer range, etc.

Compared to my sold 2016, and my exisitng 2017 MX; the 2020 actually had worse quality. The materials didn't feel as nice, panel gaps/build quality was worse, and there was definitely more wind noise. We also weren't a fan of the new suspension. It was so bad, we returned the car and currently looking for a used one. If you can swing it, order it and keep your 2016 and sell it privately after you know you want to keep your 2020.

Strange - I have heard 3 people say the 2020 X was worse than the 2017/2018 it replaced.