Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cancelling the resevation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "deposit" is actually an "order fee" and is completely non-refundable. On very rare occasions I have heard of people getting the right Tesla employee on the phone and twisting their arm until they get it back, but it is clearly described as non-refundable on the order page and agreement.

Some have given away or sold their reservations, but Tesla makes it difficult to do. I don't think you can change the pickup location or the login (user/password). I don't know if you can change the owner name since you have to upload your driver's license. It is certainly a risky proposition if it can be done at all. I have not tried it myself. I was prepared to simply eat the $250 if I bought something else.

It clearly says non refundable if you try to custom order one now.
1650914609898.png

I would keep the reservation until you get a delivery date. When you get one look at the cost of taking delivery, including taxes and fees, and then check out what you can sell the car for. You might be able to flip it.

Exactly. Why give up on it? Just get it when it comes, and if you dont want it then either, take the 5-10K a dealership right next door to Tesla will give you 10 min after delivery. HAHA.

Reactions: Nolimits
OK. After waiting and waiting and waiting, I finally gave up. I went a w different car. So here is the question -
1. Is it easy to get the $250 deposit back?
2. Can I give my number in the line to someone else?
It is possible to transfer your reservation, but you have to be smart about it. I transferred a LR3 I reserved to someone else on another forum. Think I might have gotten lucky and just got in touch with the right person at my local Tesla store that was actually willing to help with the transfer.

It is possible to transfer your reservation, but you have to be smart about it. I transferred a LR3 I reserved to someone else on another forum. Think I might have gotten lucky and just got in touch with the right person at my local Tesla store that was actually willing to help with the transfer.
Tesla is cracking down on this. There is a recent thread about someone “buying” a reservation from someone else and Tesla immediately cancelling the reservation. Proceed with caution. Oh and they don’t like flippers too, so you may get banned from buying another Tesla in the future if you flip it. Easiest thing is just to make peace with losing the $250.

Reactions: 101dals
Tesla is cracking down on this. There is a recent thread about someone “buying” a reservation from someone else and Tesla immediately cancelling the reservation. Proceed with caution. Oh and they don’t like flippers too, so you may get banned from buying another Tesla in the future if you flip it. Easiest thing is just to make peace with losing the $250.
Yeah, my transfer was most likely a 1-time thing. I put an order in for a LR 3 back in October in the hopes that a new EV tax credit would pass (HA!), but when that didn't pan out I decided to flip the reservation (only got my $250 back....guy that took it over got a $1k discount off pricing at the time). I think the price has since gone up another $3.5-4k since he took delivery. Lucky guy!

Reactions: bluetrep1 and voxel
is it even legal for them to ban me if I engage in flipping?

Yes, totally legal, unless you are a member of a protected class, AND they used that as reason to ban you. Having said that, I have never heard of Tesla banning someone over selling one car.
I dont know if it was just "one car" but someone complained of that here.

What you absolutely wouldnt want to do is:

1. buy the model Y.
2. Sell it within a very short time of owning int (after you get title)
3. Immediately place an order for a model Y.

That would probably get your blacklisted, unless it was ordering a model Y performance after you sold the Long range or something. it would need to be easily explainable as "im not flipping it, I decided that this other tesla was a better fit for me", and they likely would be looking at any order like that side eyed until they took delivery.

Flipping one car likely not "too much of an issue" but no guarantee.