Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot access HomeLink while in Reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, specifically what I mean is that while the backup camera is displayed with the parking sensors (I guess that's the "default" back up view), the camera display now covers the HomeLink buttons. Picture shows what I see when I put it in Reverse. It hasn't always been this way, has it? I thought that the video screen used to be low enough to where I could still access Homelink?

screen.jpg

Has anyone else noticed this?

I personally found it to be a hazard to have the home link menu overlaid over the rear camera view as it potentially blocks my view of pedestrians & objects when backing up.
For me this was a feature I was considering requesting. I’ll have to go see if this is now the case. If so I find it to be a substantial safety improvement. Seems like merely putting the car in park briefly will bring the menu back for those who need it somehow while backing up.

Per chance, do you know which version that is? I did get a recent update but it may not be the most recent. Thanks for the input!

It was fixed in 28.6.

It was a HUGE bug that many people reported on twitter. I think everyone is glad that functionality was restored. Difficult to understand how function QA test scripts missed that one. Ohh well.

Reactions: shaefer
I personally found it to be a hazard to have the home link menu overlaid over the rear camera view as it potentially blocks my view of pedestrians & objects when backing up.
For me this was a feature I was considering requesting. I’ll have to go see if this is now the case. If so I find it to be a substantial safety improvement. Seems like merely putting the car in park briefly will bring the menu back for those who need it somehow while backing up.

The drop down list of buttons goes back after a few seconds. At least that was my experience. Obviously, unless they make it an option, there isn't really a way to have it all ways for all people. For me it's a pain because I have to go out of a garage and a gate. It's fine for automatically opening both when I arrive, or automatically closing the garage when I leave. But after I open the garage and I am still in the driveway, I have to close out the screen to be able to open the gate. In that sense, I am not just looking at a slightly and momentarily obscured screen; I am looking at nothing. With kids and dogs (and now considering all of the convenience with which this car has spoiled me), I find it a huge annoyance to have close it out and bring it back up. It usually means completely stopping, which is usually when "things" end up behind me. I then have to open the screen, check everything again, and proceed. Like I said, unless it's an option, we could go back and forth on it forever.

The drop down list of buttons goes back after a few seconds. At least that was my experience. Obviously, unless they make it an option, there isn't really a way to have it all ways for all people. For me it's a pain because I have to go out of a garage and a gate. It's fine for automatically opening both when I arrive, or automatically closing the garage when I leave. But after I open the garage and I am still in the driveway, I have to close out the screen to be able to open the gate. In that sense, I am not just looking at a slightly and momentarily obscured screen; I am looking at nothing. With kids and dogs (and now considering all of the convenience with which this car has spoiled me), I find it a huge annoyance to have close it out and bring it back up. It usually means completely stopping, which is usually when "things" end up behind me. I then have to open the screen, check everything again, and proceed. Like I said, unless it's an option, we could go back and forth on it forever.
just tap the screen with your finger (not on the homelink and it will disappear.... still is annoying though

just tap the screen with your finger (not on the homelink and it will disappear.... still is annoying though
Are you referring to the home link menu and my complaint that it blocks my view? If so this is great to know. It used to persist with the skip option for auto close. Away from my garage at the moment to test it. It does now seem that all the Screen overlays disappear when you begin rolling backwards in reverse in 2020.28.6 on our Model 3.

So, specifically what I mean is that while the backup camera is displayed with the parking sensors (I guess that's the "default" back up view), the camera display now covers the HomeLink buttons. Picture shows what I see when I put it in Reverse. It hasn't always been this way, has it? I thought that the video screen used to be low enough to where I could still access Homelink?

View attachment 575513

Has anyone else noticed this?
After doing a little testing...
Just try scrolling down from the top of the screen and all the upper menus will reappear and he will be able to hit the home link icon to get the menu back

After doing a little testing...
Just try scrolling down from the top of the screen and all the upper menus will reappear and he will be able to hit the home link icon to get the menu back

What do you mean by scroll down? I'm on 28.6 and the entire home link menu drops down and blocks part of the backup camera screen. It disappears after the garage close is triggered. I wish it just showed the top row of icons with the home link button, etc. with camera screen below it. Any way, after it disappeared I tried to swipe down from the top to show the home link icon and nothing happened.

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
OP, mine is acting the same way. This is after the last 2 updates. I either have to open the garage before I reverse, or stop, put it in park, open, and then continue backing. I'll try scrolling the upper menu today and see if that works. MCU1 here.

Reactions: spectrum
OP, mine is acting the same way. This is after the last 2 updates. I either have to open the garage before I reverse, or stop, put it in park, open, and then continue backing. I'll try scrolling the upper menu today and see if that works. MCU1 here.
MCU 1 also. Scrolling...we'll see. Hopefully the Tesla angels will bestow an update on me soon and this can be a thing of the past.

Reactions: byeLT4
Are you referring to the home link menu and my complaint that it blocks my view? If so this is great to know. It used to persist with the skip option for auto close. Away from my garage at the moment to test it. It does now seem that all the Screen overlays disappear when you begin rolling backwards in reverse in 2020.28.6 on our Model 3.
Yes at least in model s and x, if the little annoying drop down menu obscured the view tap anywhere else on screen and it goes away

Reactions: outdoors
Seems like it may behave differently when the “skip” (auto close) option is available.
if we are talking about rear back up camera being obscured backing out of garage in the morning, then I think my idea works... at least for me. Not so sure about someone using skip function for autoclose and open... I just know when I press the garage open.... and start backing out, the menu lingers all up in my grille as I back up.... and so tapping the screen elsewhere gets it out of the way

• Informative
Reactions: Daniellane
if we are talking about rear back up camera being obscured backing out of garage in the morning, then I think my idea works... at least for me. Not so sure about someone using skip function for autoclose and open... I just know when I press the garage open.... and start backing out, the menu lingers all up in my grille as I back up.... and so tapping the screen elsewhere gets it out of the way
Just did a little test. (Model 3) touching the screen makes the homelink menu disappear until the auto close alert sounds and then reappears. Touching the screen again makes it disappear again. Thanks for the tip. Very useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: pilotSteve
For me this issue has been persistent through every software update, was fixed recently, and reappeared in 36.11. When reversing out of garage, the menu doesn't appear.

It was great last time it worked, though. The menu was semi-transparent so you could see the camera view behind it.