Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot call or sync contacts using paired Android v4.0 (HTC Thunderbolt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had this problem or figured out a solution?

I got the MS one month ago. For the first few days phone pairing and calling worked fine. However, since then, my Android v4.0.4 phone (HTC Thunderbolt) has basically been unusable with the Model S. I can pair the phone and the car, but if I try to make a phone call from the car, it hangs: the phone does not engage. If I try to make a phone call from the phone, it does not use the car's sound system. Additionally, if I look at the contacts, the screen "Importing contacts" stays there preparing to import contacts...but it never resolves (after 10+ minutes of thinking about it). Bluetooth appears to be engaged and communicating, according to the phone's icons onscreen.

I brought it in to service and they are reseraching the issue. Eventually we got the calling functionality to work about 5% of the time by disabling the contacts and recent call history functionality, but it is still not consistent.

The Tesla software is the latest: 4.5 (v1.33.54). The Android phone was recently factory reset, so there are no extraneous programs that are interfering with Bluetooth. I have paired an iPod nano (7th generation) to the car and that works fine for media access. At service, we also tried pairing a Samsung Galaxy Note running Android v4.2, and an iPhone 5 (iOS version unknown--probably 6 or 7). These devices did not exhibit problems.

IMO .... can't hurt to completely delete both pairings on the phone and car, reboot both and re-pair..

I know mine required a few pairings for somewhat similar issues after I played with the BT device settings in the car interface.

Personally not very impressed with this aspect of my S.

My wife and I both have htc ones. We used to have evos. With the evo it synced nicely. With the one, mine synced for the first couple of weeks (the length of the return policy for the phone), and then quit adding to the recent calls list. In e last week, we both upgraded to android 4.3. Now hers on 4.3, the phone won't sync contacts or call history.

i see this thread Pairing Android phone with Model S Contact Sync and never got that option, but I'll try again tonight.

i have tried completely un pairing. It seems the htc phones have the worst record of this, but it isn't alone (some galaxy users are reporting it too). Our previous phones were rooted.... Maybe that will fix the problem. Funny how so many things are broken by the cell phone manufacturers.