Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot charge above 16amp 50 miles per hour on public rapid and fast chargers UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just been on the first long road trip using charge place Scotland network, combination of rapid and fast chargers however every plug seems to detect at 16amp max charging around 50 miles per hour. I was using a combination of 50kw rapid and 22kw fast chargers but all maxed out at 16amp. 16/16 on dash and in app and never goes above rate of 50 miles per hour.

Any ideas? Made it quite difficult on the trip, as didn't get a full charge anywhere. Charges started at varying levels 9%, 20% and 40 however always 16amp max

Charge place Scotland details below incase of any use

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191222_165852_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191222_165852_com.android.chrome.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 107
For model 3 it’s easy to distinguish between AC (the smaller connector only using the top of the socket) and DC (uses all of the socket, the power comes through the two phat plugs at the bottom)

Change your display from range to energy and you’ll see a more easily comparable output when you charge, i.e. it will tell you how close to the theoretical max kW you’re getting.

Just been on the first long road trip using charge place Scotland network, combination of rapid and fast chargers however every plug seems to detect at 16amp max charging around 50 miles per hour. I was using a combination of 50kw rapid and 22kw fast chargers but all maxed out at 16amp. 16/16 on dash and in app and never goes above rate of 50 miles per hour.

Any ideas? Made it quite difficult on the trip, as didn't get a full charge anywhere. Charges started at varying levels 9%, 20% and 40 however always 16amp max

Are you definitely using the correct cable? They usually have AC as well as 2 different DC (chademo and CCS). The car amps only relates to AC charging not the DC i.e. CCS charging.

If you were using a 3 phase 22 kW charge point then the car would only ever show 16 A, as that is the maximum charge rate from a 3 phase supply. Although the M3 will charge at up to 32 A on a single phase supply, it will only charge at up to 16 A per phase from a 3 phase supply. The display in the car shows the current in a single phase, hence the 16 A that's shown. At the nominal supply voltage, a M3 will charge at around 11 kW from a 3 phase 22 kW rated charge point (effectively 3 x 16 A x 230 VAC = 11.04 kW).

Reactions: jimbo_hippo

If you use the CCS Cable (if available) then depending on what State of Charge you start at you should get close to 200 Miles per Hour. The Type 2 Cables will give 50 or or 30 MPH depending on whether they are 32 W or 7 W so always use CCS if available. You can always use the UMC Cable if stopping overnight it will add 10 MPH but this adds up overnight.

Hey, thanks for all the help, I didn't realise the model 3 was as limited when AC charging. Unfortunately all the points I visited had broken CCS so I had to use Type 2. Just didn't understand why I wasnt getting more as the type 2 was rated to 43kw on the machine, expect it must be other cars that can achieve this rate via onboard chargers, CCS only for faster on model 3.

Seems I need to look out for working CCS portd instead, have to say not having much luck with the chargeplace scotland network visited 2 fully broken points already with 10s of miles to the next ports and none of the CCS cables have worked to date.

Thanks again for your help

Hey, thanks for all the help, I didn't realise the model 3 was as limited when AC charging. Unfortunately all the points I visited had broken CCS so I had to use Type 2. Just didn't understand why I wasnt getting more as the type 2 was rated to 43kw on the machine, expect it must be other cars that can achieve this rate via onboard chargers, CCS only for faster on model 3.

Yeah, Renault Zöe makes good use of high (43kW) power AC, before the most recent variant they could only use AC charging I think, no DC - there's lots of them about.

Seems I need to look out for working CCS ports instead, have to say not having much luck with the chargeplace scotland network visited 2 fully broken points already with 10s of miles to the next ports and none of the CCS cables have worked to date.

One of the drawbacks of a free network - fanfair when they're installed (often with central gov grants) but little incentive to maintain (often coming out of the local council purse instead)

Seems I need to look out for working CCS portd instead, have to say not having much luck with the chargeplace scotland network visited 2 fully broken points already with 10s of miles to the next ports and none of the CCS cables have worked to date.

Have you tried ingilston park and ride they have one ccs

Hey, thanks for all the help, I didn't realise the model 3 was as limited when AC charging.

DC is just stuffed straight into the battery so the limit is what the battery can take. AC has to be converted to DC by the car and AC/DC transformers take up space and add weight so there is always a limit. the M3s 11kw (single phase) is probably better than most EV's currently.

Reactions: Rooster6655