Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot clean Model 3 windows for the life of me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took delivery on my Model 3 two weeks ago. I have been hand washing it but cannot, for the life of me, get those windows clean. It’s like there is some sort of film on them. They’re streaky and spotty, and look awful in the sun. It’s like it’s almost IN the glass. I’ve used Optimum No Rinse, the best window cleaner, 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water, magic erasers, microfiber towels. NOTHING will make these windows look normal and crystal clear. For a $50k vehicle I kind of expect the windows to be clear?

Any other tips?

Reactions: Georgesb2
Just took delivery on my Model 3 two weeks ago. I have been hand washing it but cannot, for the life of me, get those windows clean. It’s like there is some sort of film on them. They’re streaky and spotty, and look awful in the sun. It’s like it’s almost IN the glass. I’ve used Optimum No Rinse, the best window cleaner, 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water, magic erasers, microfiber towels. NOTHING will make these windows look normal and crystal clear. For a $50k vehicle I kind of expect the windows to be clear?

Any other tips?

I learned a lot from these two videos:

Any other tips?

Yup, people who think they know how to clean windows sometimes don't understand this. If you think your windows are clean, wait until sunrise or sunset, then point your car toward the sun. You will see the streaks.

I have used a squeegee on the outside. That produced the best result. Anything using a cloth, even a microfiber cloth, that touches the window does nothing but smear the streaks around.

Windows look fine at noon, just don't drive in the morning or evening ;)

I'll check the videos out. Appreciate any advice about inside cleaning where the squeegee can't be used.

When I retire I might be able to devote a couple years to figuring this out...

RT

Good luck!

I have two additional suggestions. When you clean the outside, clean in up and down movements. When you clean the inside, clean in side to side movements. When the sunlight hits the window, note the direction of the streaks. If the streak looks like it is up and down, you know the film is on the outside. If it is side to side, then you know it is on the inside.

Also, I suggest you buy window glass cleaning towels. These are a special waffle weave typf of towel that minimize the amount of lint left behind on the glass. Normal microfiber towels leave behind a huge amount of lint that are most apparent when the glass is in direct sunlight.

Good luck!

I have two additional suggestions. When you clean the outside, clean in up and down movements. When you clean the inside, clean in side to side movements. When the sunlight hits the window, note the direction of the streaks. If the streak looks like it is up and down, you know the film is on the outside. If it is side to side, then you know it is on the inside.

Also, I suggest you buy window glass cleaning towels. These are a special waffle weave typf of towel that minimize the amount of lint left behind on the glass. Normal microfiber towels leave behind a huge amount of lint that are most apparent when the glass is in direct sunlight.

Link to point the curious ones in the right direction?

Any other tips?

I've used any number of window cleaners over the years, but over the last few years I've settled on a simple two step process which, ironically, involves one of my all-time favorite waxes. In short, after i wash the car, (or sometimes when I'm in between washes), I wax the windshield with Meguiars CLEANER Wax. I've always liked this wax on paint as it does a good job of addressing mild oxidation, water spotting after drying, etc. as a "one step" product. Anyway, on windshields it is that CLEANER in the wax that does the trick here. After it hazes, I then buff it as you would any other wax and then I use Invisible Glass or Sprayway glass cleaner on the windshield to remove the leftover wax. Easy peasy and has been my go to for years now.

Now, to make it 100% relevant, I rented a Model 3 on Turo last year, and as luck would have it, it rained... a lot. I went to use the wipers and SHEESH there was that film...just awful. I couldn't help myself. When I got home, I tried some regular glass cleaner...no dice. Then broke out the Meguiars and in a few minutes...all clean.

Link to cleaner/wax (note: probably available at any number of auto parts stores too):

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Cle...ds=meguiars+cleaner+wax&qid=1575064115&sr=8-4

Reactions: Takumi
A neighbor who works at Boeing recommend a Norwex microfiber window polishing cloth. She said it is what Boeing uses to clean 787 windshields. Bought one from Amazon and confirm that it works great. For the inside i only use water. For the outside i use it with glass cleaner.

Two different cars, identical looking problems, two different methods needed to clean.

One car, clay mitt and lots of elbow grease. Still more elbow grease needed and a different light. But its shifting, slowly.

Model 3, couple of months old - that film when damp is horrendous, especially when dark and ambient lights. Tried various, none touched the sides, then someone said intensive tar remover. I looked up what they suggested and found I had some similar 'sticky stuff remover' - probably not so intensive. Thats working, after a few passes, just need to see it in a different light for bits I missed. But definitely better. Didn't risk clay mitt on Tesla screen - its already scratched from delivery.

I've had a hell of a time cleaning my windows too. If I wash the whole car with a pressure washer then they seem to sparkle... the car shampoo and microfiber and power washer must do something to them. However, if I just use regular window cleaner (any number of them from windex to fancy "made for car windows only" stuff) as SOON as I touch the windows they look WORSE then before. I'll spray the window that is lightly dirty and I'll remove and road film/grim but HUGE streaks show up from the first touch of the glass with my glass cleaning microfiber, paper towels, or anything else that seems glass safe to try. I'll run a finger over it and sure enough it's some kind of film or something because I can clearly see the line where I ran my finger. No amount of buffing seems to remove it 100%, but buffing with a dry towel does help. Oddly when using a touchless automatic car wash they come out looking great, if not perfectly clean. I get no streaking...

Is there some coating on the glass that holds onto something from most chemical cleaners? I would assume this glass would be basically the same as other glass, but from the results here and my personal fights cleaning them it certainly seems to be unique glass...

Did you get this sorted in the end? I had a problem with a haze that was present when raining (especially at night due to glare from headlights etc.) when the wiper blade went across. Could have been rainx residues from an old cloth, or just every day grease/wax sticking to the window.

After lots of experimentation with other products, turns out either "no touch glass stripper" or oven cleaner (left overnight) fixes the problem. If using the latter, make sure that it's a gel (mine used potassium hydroxide as the active ingredient), not a liquid, and that it's applies very thinly and washed very well afterwards.

Windshield L.JPG

Windshield R.jpg

I am also upset with the delivery state of the front windshield. I had two issues with mine. The "stuff" stuck on the windshield seems to be some sort of plastic. Our first 3 hr drive to the mountains was fine on the way up, but driving back into the sun, the crap on the windows was bad. I have had some luck with using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, and lots of window cleaner and elbow grease.

But then I noticed about a 8" streak on the drivers side that would not clean off. Turns out it was a scratch on the inside. Happy to report that a visit to the Service Center in Carlsbad CA was a great experience. No hassle, they confirmed the defect, set me up with a loaner Model S, and the next day I had a brand new windshield installed. They had per-ordered one just in case they needed to replace it. They took great care of my car, and did not leave any traces of the work on the inside or outside of my car (no nicks or any scuffs).

But guess what, this one also had the "crap" stuck on the inside and outside. Only noticeable while looking into the sun.

Not nearly as bad as my original one, but they are still there. I was able to point them out to service people, but they did not seem to know what to do about it. They came up with all kinds of reasons such as "oh that must be from the micro fiber clothes we use to clean the windshield." I did not buy any of their excuses. Hopefully I was able to convince them that they should bring the issue up as a quality control issue. Perhaps take a few of the next new cars that show up outside and point them into the sun. Then get in and take a good look at the window.

Perhaps everyone should let Tesla know about the state of their windshield. I followed up with an email to the sales and service manages at Carlsbad. Hopefully they will take some action to prevent this issue.

View attachment 505587
View attachment 505588

I am also upset with the delivery state of the front windshield. I had two issues with mine. The "stuff" stuck on the windshield seems to be some sort of plastic. Our first 3 hr drive to the mountains was fine on the way up, but driving back into the sun, the crap on the windows was bad. I have had some luck with using Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, and lots of window cleaner and elbow grease.

But then I noticed about a 8" streak on the drivers side that would not clean off. Turns out it was a scratch on the inside. Happy to report that a visit to the Service Center in Carlsbad CA was a great experience. No hassle, they confirmed the defect, set me up with a loaner Model S, and the next day I had a brand new windshield installed. They had per-ordered one just in case they needed to replace it. They took great care of my car, and did not leave any traces of the work on the inside or outside of my car (no nicks or any scuffs).

But guess what, this one also had the "crap" stuck on the inside and outside. Only noticeable while looking into the sun.

Not nearly as bad as my original one, but they are still there. I was able to point them out to service people, but they did not seem to know what to do about it. They came up with all kinds of reasons such as "oh that must be from the micro fiber clothes we use to clean the windshield." I did not buy any of their excuses. Hopefully I was able to convince them that they should bring the issue up as a quality control issue. Perhaps take a few of the next new cars that show up outside and point them into the sun. Then get in and take a good look at the window.

Perhaps everyone should let Tesla know about the state of their windshield. I followed up with an email to the sales and service manages at Carlsbad. Hopefully they will take some action to prevent this issue.