Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot clean Model 3 windows for the life of me.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had the same problem with the film or haze that wouldn’t come off. I booked a service appointment and the mobile team came.
He tried two things, 1) vinegar 2) 99.9% alcohol isopropyl in a spray bottle. The 2nd worked.

He sprayed half the windshield then really scrubbed with a microfibre towel. It takes a lot of force and iterations to get it all off but it worked. They then replaced the wipers for free to make sure it wasn’t something with them either.

He also advised to watch out for washer fluids with detergents in them because they can leave a hard film. Any way hope that helps.

• Informative
Reactions: RubberToe
I will have to try the alcohol method on the inside. Only issue there is that it is very hard to get to the very bottom of the inside due to the slope, and I have the tool that reaches in there. Anyone who thinks that they have a "clean" front window has never looked through it during sunrise. ;)

If you are one of the people who do think that, please ignore this post or you will end up going down the same rabbit hole that we are. The outside is possible to get quite well, once you understand that "just rubbing" doesn't do anything but spread whatever is on the window around, with finer streaks. Every initial wipe using Armour All window cleaner requires a clean cloth to "remove" the surface contamination, followed by a round of "just rubbing" with the same product. I'll try the alcohol on the outside too.

RT

P.S. I'll post a picture of what appears to be a clean window. You will have trouble sleeping at night, trust me...

Just took delivery on my Model 3 two weeks ago. I have been hand washing it but cannot, for the life of me, get those windows clean. It’s like there is some sort of film on them. They’re streaky and spotty, and look awful in the sun. It’s like it’s almost IN the glass. I’ve used Optimum No Rinse, the best window cleaner, 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water, magic erasers, microfiber towels. NOTHING will make these windows look normal and crystal clear. For a $50k vehicle I kind of expect the windows to be clear?

Any other tips?
Had my "X" for 6 months with the same problem. I tried EVERYTHING until the guys at Tesla gave me the solution - and it's cheaper than dirt, too!
Mix a solution of 1/3 rubbing alcohol (90%, if you can get it, but 70% will work okay) and 2/3's distilled water in a spray bottle.
Give the window a 'quick wipe' with a clean rag and then spray a little of the solution on the glass (inside or out). Next clean the sprayed window with a clean MICRO FIBER RAG, turn it over and repeat with the dry side. Your windows should shine like a ruby in a goats ass!
One more thing - DO NOT USE fabric softener when cleaning the micro fiber, as it will leave those streaks that were there in the first place.
Steve

One more comment on the microfiber towels, when you wash them after, drop a couple ounces of vinegar in washing machine, and as sellnelll said above absolutely dont use dryer sheets or fabric softener on towels you use to clean your car unless you like seeing streaks.

The vinegar makes the microfiber really soft without all the chemicals... https://www.orahome.us/how-to-wash-microfiber-towels-vinegar/

Something to also consider when washing your microfiber is the detergent you use. Pick one free of dyes and perfumes. I use Tide Free & Gentle. I also concur with the recommendation to use vinegar.

While it’s tempting to reuse a microfiber that has been used for cleaning or drying windows. Don’t do it… Even though it looks clean and is dry I’ve learned any amount of contamination it picked up previously ends up smearing especially glass. I need to relearn that every so often….

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Another reason to avoid fabric softener with microfiber towels is that, despite the name, fabric softener will actually cause the ends of the fibers to harden. So as a result, the next time you use the MF towel, it can scratch your paint or glass. You also want to avoid drying your microfiber towels on high heat. Always dry them on the lowest dryer temperature possible and for only enough time to get them dry.

I have found this to be one of the best microfiber detergents on the market. It not only cleans microfiber towels really well, it can actually make them softer and "rejuvenate" them:

Had my "X" for 6 months with the same problem. I tried EVERYTHING until the guys at Tesla gave me the solution - and it's cheaper than dirt, too!
Mix a solution of 1/3 rubbing alcohol (90%, if you can get it, but 70% will work okay) and 2/3's distilled water in a spray bottle.
Give the window a 'quick wipe' with a clean rag and then spray a little of the solution on the glass (inside or out). Next clean the sprayed window with a clean MICRO FIBER RAG, turn it over and repeat with the dry side. Your windows should shine like a ruby in a goats ass!
One more thing - DO NOT USE fabric softener when cleaning the micro fiber, as it will leave those streaks that were there in the first place.
Steve
I just gave this a try. Just for the record: I'm one of the people who believes that windows cannot actually be cleaned. I'll report back once I find a Ruby and a (hopefully) willing Goat...

RT

A neighbor who works at Boeing recommend a Norwex microfiber window polishing cloth. She said it is what Boeing uses to clean 787 windshields. Bought one from Amazon and confirm that it works great. For the inside i only use water. For the outside i use it with glass cleaner.
How in the world do people reach lower than about midway down the inside of the windshield, while applying enough pressure to clean the inside of the windshield. I'm on my second Model 3, and my arms don't reach the bottom the windshield, even when my forehead bangs into the glass.

My hope would be for a tool of some sort, that extends the reach of my arm, while simultaneously (magically?) allowing me to apply enough pressure to clean the distant reaches of the windshield.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any ideas at all!

Last edited:
How in the world do people reach lower than about midway down the inside of the windshield, while applying enough pressure to clean the inside of the windshield. I'm on my second Model 3, and my arms don't reach the bottom the windshield, even when my forehead bangs into the glass.

My hope would be for a tool of some sort, that extends the reach of my arm, while simultaneously (magically?) allowing me to apply enough pressure to clean the distant reaches of the windshield.

Something like this may work. I have one but it's diffucult to keep the cloth on it.

I recommend this glass cleaning tool from Invisible Glass. It is angled with a pointy end that fits into smaller spaces.

The other thing you can try, which was suggested by Youtuber Chris Fix is to enter the car with your head facing towards the rear of the car and then you reach behind you with the microfiber towel as you clean the glass. I know it sounds odd, but you can reach areas doing that are harder than facing the glass.

Reactions: evtifosi
After trying and failing with Windex and plain water, I effectively cleaned the interior of my windshield with a 1:1 mix of white vinegar and water, using just a paper towel to apply it and then newspaper sheets to dry it. For good luck I also then cleaned the outside, which also worked well.

Just took delivery on my Model 3 two weeks ago. I have been hand washing it but cannot, for the life of me, get those windows clean. It’s like there is some sort of film on them. They’re streaky and spotty, and look awful in the sun. It’s like it’s almost IN the glass. I’ve used Optimum No Rinse, the best window cleaner, 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water, magic erasers, microfiber towels. NOTHING will make these windows look normal and crystal clear. For a $50k vehicle I kind of expect the windows to be clear?

Any other tips?
After trying and failing with Windex and plain water, I effectively cleaned the interior of my windshield with a 1:1 mix of white vinegar and water, using just a paper towel to apply it and then newspaper sheets to dry it. For good luck I also then cleaned the outside, which also worked well.

I use the ultra-expensive Mckee's 2020 Cockpit Glass Cleaner. This stuff has worked extremely well for me but I think that it is ridiculously priced.

I am afraid, however, to clean the inside of the rear window for fear of damaging the defroster. Since we are talking about cleaning the windows of the M3 I do not think that this is a complete thread hijack.

Does anyone have tips on how to safely clean the inside of the rear window? Those defroster lines scare me.