Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot connect app to vehicle Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Folks: Recently I cannot connect my Android phone Tesla app to the car. The "wheel" keeps spinning. No changes have been made to my phone or car. My suspicion is that it stopped connecting when the latest app update (4.14.0-1377) was installed on Oct 12. My car is a 2017 MX with MCU2. Anybody had the same experience or ideas for a fix?

Does your car have good LTE signal? When you start the mobile app, it talks to a Tesla server on the cloud which in turn needs to talk to the car. IF your car is sleeping, an SMS is sent. You need good LTE signal in the car to get that sms in a timely manner, wake the car up etc...

Sometimes the car is a bit bugged and rebooting it fixes the problem. You can try that too.

IF your car doesn't connect to wifi nor LTE, don't search any further. Your mobile app will never work if the car cannot communicate with the internet. You need to find out why it cannot connect. Inside a garage the signal might be weaker. Does your car at least get proper LTE signal when outside?

IF your car doesn't connect to wifi nor LTE, don't search any further. Your mobile app will never work if the car cannot communicate with the internet. You need to find out why it cannot connect. Inside a garage the signal might be weaker. Does your car at least get proper LTE signal when outside?
Car seems to connect to wifi and LTE just fine. Tune in works perfectly and phone is connected to the car so I can play You Tube Music.. Phone calls through the car are fine as well.

But you said in a previous post that the car didn't connect... Was that only in the garage? If you cannot get LTE signal in your garage, your mobile app won't work when the car's in the garage.

Are you having mobile app issues ONLY when the car is in the garage or all the time?

Sorry, I wasn't clear. My cell phone connects to the car by bluetooth (not through the app) and allows me to make phone calls through the car's system and use my You Tube music--perfectly. But I cannot connect to the car using the app on my cell phone regardless of where I am located and wifi or LTE doesn't matter. My garage has wifi with all the bars showing on the Tesla.

As @GtiMart said, LTE connectivity is required to initiate app access even if the car is connected to WiFi; the LTE connection is used to ping the car so that it can "check in" with Tesla's servers. Because the car uses WiFi in preference to LTE for most things, a lack of LTE connectivity can be masked by a working WiFi connection, but not when you use your app to check on the car from a distance.

Thus, you should test the car's LTE connectivity: Disconnect the car from your home's WiFi or drive far enough so that you're out of range, and then test Internet features of the car -- voice commands, the Web browser, streaming media, etc. (Many of these rely on premium connectivity, so don't panic if you don't have premium connectivity and premium connectivity features don't work. Check Tesla's connectivity page to see what features rely on premium connectivity.) If the LTE connectivity seems good, pull out your phone's app and try again. It should work when the car and your phone both have LTE connectivity. If it doesn't, then that suggests a problem with Tesla's servers, your own phone's connectivity, your Tesla app, or your Tesla account. In most of these cases, you should probably talk to Tesla about it -- although you could try uninstalling and re-installing the Tesla app first. (You may need to re-connect it to your car if you try that.)

If your testing reveals a problem with LTE connectivity in the car, then it could be the car needs service (it could be an antenna connection that's come loose, for instance); or maybe there's something weird going on with the LTE account that Tesla maintains with AT&T (at least, AT&T is the carrier in the US; I'm not sure about Canada). Before scheduling service, though, try repeating this test at multiple locations, to be sure you're not in an LTE service dead zone. It's conceivable that the problem has cropped up at your home recently because of a temporary outage, a new building casting a radio shadow, etc.

Reactions: BobX