Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot Disable Speed Based Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ATPMSD

Mar 12, 2021
Atlanta, GA
I have been using the new FSD on city streets and I really do not like it when it makes speed based lane changes. This feature is disabled in autopilot and I have no destination set, yet the FSD stack ignores these and changes lanes whenever the traffic slows below the speed I have set. I hope they fix this.

Reactions: TresLA and Dewg
I have been using the new FSD on city streets and I really do not like it when it makes speed based lane changes. This feature is disabled in autopilot and I have no destination set, yet the FSD stack ignores these and changes lanes whenever the traffic slows below the speed I have set. I hope they fix this.
I agree with you, it would be nice to have the Speed Based Lane Change selection used in Advanced Driver Assist as well. Right now, you can select Chill mode which reduces the lane changes but doesn't eliminate them. This is a feature request, and not a bug, so I don't agree with your characterization that it needs to be "fixed".

Reactions: TresLA

Yep they need analogous options to the ones available in NOA. No lane changes except when requested would be pretty great (and the car would have latitude on turn lane choice - which it is quite bad at actually).

Reactions: ATPMSD
I agree with you, it would be nice to have the Speed Based Lane Change selection used in Advanced Driver Assist as well. Right now, you can select Chill mode which reduces the lane changes but doesn't eliminate them. This is a feature request, and not a bug, so I don't agree with your characterization that it needs to be "fixed".
The reason I consider it to be a "bug" is that in the AP stack, this "feature" can be disabled.

The reason I consider it to be a "bug" is that in the AP stack, this "feature" can be disabled.
I totally get where you're coming from. It's easier to think of them as different products, since they are different code bases/stacks. It would be like having a feature in Spotify that you don't have in Apple Music (both audio apps) - it's not a bug in Apple Music, just a feature you'd like them to have that's in Spotify.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
It would be like having a feature in Spotify that you don't have in Apple Music (both audio apps)

It’s kind of like Spotify has a “feature” which skips ahead to the next track without input if it decides it doesn’t like the song, based on AI algorithms, while with Apple Music, you can only skip ahead on demand.

Or whatever.

I would simply have them disable this feature.