Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cannot export power to grid during rolling blackout (duh)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was reading an article on reuters talking about predicted rolling blackouts this summer in CA and other western / south western states .. my 1st reaction was i have pv/ powerwalls cool ! .. then i thought of myself and many others with solar that during a rolling blackout when the power is needed most it cannot be exported to the grid (assuming during high production hours) .. i know not a feasible way to make a meter export only .. guess just thinking of all that wasted pv energy made me a little sad... ok random obvious observation over

Last edited:
I guess the problem is that there is no distinction of grid outage during a rolling blackout or down wire or transformer issue. Unless the grid can send a signal to the inverter with down reason code it would have to be a blunt islanding. We do not want to export to the grid helping your neighbors or the grid while killing a lineman if it is not a rolling blackout.

I guess the problem is that there is no distinction of grid outage during a rolling blackout or down wire or transformer issue. Unless the grid can send a signal to the inverter with down reason code it would have to be a blunt islanding. We do not want to export to the grid helping your neighbors or the grid while killing a lineman if it is not a rolling blackout.
yea .. its a pipe dream the supersmart meter .... guess i just should be happy ppl on here and others are trying to do their part .. even though many utilities' policies seem hypocritical at times concerning pv installation

I know its sorta wrong, but when I see stuff like rolling blackouts or PSPS announced, my first reaction is one of self satisfaction. Each time that happens, I get to justify to myself that my expenditure of money on this equipment was "justified" (even though I love it all).

I realize that is a bit selfish, but im keepin it 100 here, thats the first emotion I feel.

true, it is true in most of California especially PG&E. PG&E has a lot of solar. The demand steeply rises as the sun goes down
I should explain. I was referring to places like in the cities during a heat wave. Businesses and homes using air conditioning. When everyone goes home after work, the business air conditioners usually go off and not quite as much need for air conditioning at home. That is what I was referring to. At least all of this is according to my neighbor who used to be a VP at PG&E. He says most of the demand is actually a mid-day (1pm-4pm) in most of California and that is the way it is up here all summer. Perhaps the opposite in some areas.

Last edited:
here - monitor the link below. I was in the power industry too. The demand curve has greatly changed over the last 10 years or so. Cal ISO even shows a "Net Demand" curve which is demand minus wind and solar. The net demand curve is the one that rises steeply as the sun goes down. It shows how much supply is coming from wind and solar. Each day as PG&E solar generation goes down so does all the home solar, so its a double whammy on Net Demand.

I know a lot of people aren't in office buildings now, but even when they were, Business AC cannot go completely off as it takes way more power to cool off a hot building than to keep it at a reasonable temp. There are complex office management systems that regulate the temp. They will raise the temp setting at night, but not turn completely off

I know its sorta wrong, but when I see stuff like rolling blackouts or PSPS announced, my first reaction is one of self satisfaction. Each time that happens, I get to justify to myself that my expenditure of money on this equipment was "justified" (even though I love it all).

I realize that is a bit selfish, but im keepin it 100 here, thats the first emotion I feel.
yea that was my initial reaction as well .. i prepared i dont have to suffer 🤓 ...
what did you mean by the keepin it 100 ? typo or i am too old out of touch 😄

yea that was my initial reaction as well .. i prepared i dont have to suffer 🤓 ...

I think for me it's more validation that being self sufficient but also working to better the community is the best approach. I'm not happy that it happens but reality is not always happy.

@Electrph What Does Hundred Emoji 💯 Mean? :)

• Funny
Reactions: Electrph

Keeping it real, or said in proper english "I am being 100% honest, here".

Lol @gpez ... of course there is an internet explanation, I didnt even think of that. it was just part of how I spoke amongst friends, both growing up and now.

Reactions: Electrph
Keeping it real, or said in proper english "I am being 100% honest, here".

Lol @gpez ... of course there is an internet explanation, I didnt even think of that. it was just part of how I spoke amongst friends, both growing up and now.
ok yea so answer is i am out of the loop . 😄
i heard term keeping it real almost on daily basis growing up .. not the 100%... learn all kinds cool stuff here

Last edited: