Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot figure out how to install Basenor Model 3 Mud Flaps (2022 Model)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought these Basenor Model 3 Mud Flaps from Amazon, but can not figure how how to install them properly.

Per the instruction, a QR code is linked to this installation video. It shows the Mud Flap being placed, then the clip insert and then lastly the push fasteners.

In another video from Basenor Auto it shows that the custom clips are first, then the mud flap and then the push fasteners.

Below is as far as I got and can not push the fasteners in any further. I am starting to believe that the custom clips and push fasteners do not work with the latest 2022 model.

Installing on a LR 2022 Model 3.

IMG_8347.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using the new push pins supplied?The originals are ever so slightly shorter. I tried to use originals and they just won’t go.

also it takes a little bit if wiggling and sometimes an awl to line things up And compress things. If the layers are to far apart the tip end can’t spread. So push on base, hard, when you try to push the pin in.

Standard rivet guns push against the base when it pulls the spreader pin.

If you push the pin first it starts to spread and that just pushes the liner (your trying to grab the back side of) in further.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I bought these Basenor Model 3 Mud Flaps from Amazon, but can not figure how how to install them properly.

Per the instruction, a QR code is linked to this installation video. It shows the Mud Flap being placed, then the clip insert and then lastly the push fasteners.

In another video from Basenor Auto it shows that the custom clips are first, then the mud flap and then the push fasteners.

Below is as far as I got and can not push the fasteners in any further. I am starting to believe that the custom clips and push fasteners do not work with the latest 2022 model.

View attachment 780003
In the Amazon link you provided it says drilling is required for the 2022 model.

Upvote 0
Another dumb question to ask, but did you try to put the pop rivets in while they were still conjoined? When I installed mine, I received the pop rivets conjoined and tried to just push them in and it didn't work. I decided to actually separate the pieces (it required me to pry the locking mechanism open to release the pin). Once I did that, the rivet easily went all the way in, and then I inserted the pin and it snapped in.

Upvote 0
I bought mud flaps for my 2022 M3 from RPM Tesla Aftermarket. They clip on at the top, and take push pins for the bottom. No screws, which is what I wanted.
One thing I learned after working really hard (and almost giving up) to get the pins into the inserts (after you put them into the mud flap and car body) is that you have to line up the pins and inserts correctly. (Some of the other comments have said this.) Look carefully at them, and you'll see the four notches on them. Once you line up the notches correctly off the car, push the two together into the holes in the mudflaps and the car body. Then, without too much force, you should be able to snap the pins fully into the inserts and into the mudflaps and car body. That was my experience.
I hope this was clear. Don't give up. Get all the pins fully inserted to insure the mud flaps will stay in place for as long as you own the car, hopefully.
Good luck.

Upvote 0

View attachment 780003
On my 22 model 3 I found that if I put the clip (female plastic part) against the vehicle and then the mud flap, then the pin into the hole that worked much better, less pressure but still held in well. On the front had to drill a small hole into the plastic at the top, manufacturer let us know that would be required for the '22. Also, the metal clip on the front flaps was difficult, until I realized it needed to be pushed in upward (away from the road), thought the clip needed to go into the plastic grooves on the front mud flaps but it's actually opposite the grooves.
Agree that Tesla's site said their mudflaps aren't compatible. Called and the Tesla rep said they would fit but decided to go with Basenor as it has rear flaps.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
IF it is the push pins I had a similar problem with flaps from Abstract Ocean. I ended up removing the pin from the plug, pushing in plug in then pushing in the pin however - the pins were directional. They had guides that had to be lined up to go in. I found this when I took the pins apart. The video's showed it as so easy. Beware of the bolt on the rear. The weld holding the nut on the Y's is weak and can break necessitating installing a retainer clip in its place. A video on the RPMTesla.com site shows using lots of WD-40 or similar on the rear bolt and nut (I spayed some through the push pin hole to get lube on the top) to work the bolt back and forth to maintain the welded nut.
I broke this off, too, and now I can't get the bolt out! where do you get this retainer clip? or install it? aaaargh!

Upvote 0
I broke this off, too, and now I can't get the bolt out! where do you get this retainer clip? or install it? aaaargh!
I've seen them at Ace hardware or probably Lowes or Home Depot. If the bolt has broken the weld, you will need to push back the wheel well liner and then clamp the nut (it's round from what I've seen), then remove and replace with a retainer clip. See the RPMTesla.com videos on installing on model Y.

Upvote 0
I actually had the same problem with the basenor ones and ended up dumping them and getting a very similar pair from abstract ocean (with better pins). I had everything setup, even some of the suggestions posted in here, but the pins they supplied were not sufficient. I just couldn't get all of the pins in without some insane level of force, and quite frankly just gave up trying.

Upvote 0
I found the rear flaps do not fit easily on my 2023 model 3 - the upper clip that is molded into the flap was so unyielding that I felt it would damage the paint before it would clip over the edge of the rear bumper. I gave up in the end, but in hindsight I should have used a heat gun to flex out the clip a little.

Upvote 0