Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot for the life of me decide an exterior/interior combination

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd assume white, because the red is a multi-coat process (more potential for things to go wrong.)

I've had a couple of other vehicles with multi-coat paint options and the WOTS was those colors - while technically more complex - actually got a little more attention and had more consistently higher quality results.

No idea, could be total bullshit, but at least one guy on a Mustang board who said this had some direct insight into the factory processes for other things, so maybe that's was the case for at least that model make/model[?]

The paint on my MSM is pretty stellar.

Reactions: ss71
I purchased the OEM wood dash insert for $175 from Tesla, sanded, stained (walnut) and refinished to match wood in my Plaid. The yoke is from Aroham (AliExpress)
Are you saying the model Y OEM wood dash strip is real wood? I thought it was man made composite of some sort of plastic.

If it’s real wood I’m going to get one.

Wow, that’s great news. Does it come unfinished from the dealer, or did you just sand off the factory finish in order to change color? The white one I have feels like plastic. Is it also wood?

How did you order it?

Reactions: jebinc
Wow, that’s great news. Does it come unfinished from the dealer, or did you just sand off the factory finish in order to change color? The white one I have feels like plastic. Is it also wood?

How did you order it?
I just ordered it. Many SC have them in stock. The come ready to install, I just chose to refinish mine to match my Plaid interior. The white one is aluminum.

• Informative
Reactions: rjpjnk
You guys are gonna hate me, but I decided to test drive the white exterior model 3, and while I digged the color from the outside, while inside I for some reason didn’t like looking at the white hood. I didn’t realize this as I had never test driven a white car before.

I prefer the hood to be a darker color to blend in with the surroundings. And lots of people love the white interior, but I hated it. Too bright for me. I’m not a flashy person so it didn’t fit my vibe either.

I changed my order to MSM, as I had no issues when I test drove it.

Reactions: jebinc
You guys are gonna hate me, but I decided to test drive the white exterior model 3, and while I digged the color from the outside, while inside I for some reason didn’t like looking at the white hood. I didn’t realize this as I had never test driven a white car before.

I prefer the hood to be a darker color to blend in with the surroundings. And lots of people love the white interior, but I hated it. Too bright for me. I’m not a flashy person so it didn’t fit my vibe either.

MSM is the best color! 🤣

Reactions: ss71

Nothing but love from my MSM with black interior. 👍🏻

These were my thoughts so far:

*Exteriors*

White - looked good from the outside, especially with the contrast with the black door handles and roof tint. When I test drove it, from the inside I didn’t like looking at the white hood. The color just looked meh to me when looking from inside. I prefer from the inside for the color to either pop more (like Red or Blue) or hide away (like MSM). But I love the way the car looks from the outside.

MSM - I feel like this color looks good with fresh paint, but just looks dull/boring on the road. The gray hood blends in with the environment and looks nice from the inside. May be a bit of a boring color for a 23 y/o?

Red - $2k and maybe a cop magnet. But I do love the look of the red with black door handles a lot. Such a nice look. Feel like getting the red to look nice would take a lot of maintenance though. It didn’t pop as much when dirty I noticed.

Blue - I loved seeing blue color from the inside, like the hood and mirrors. It’s a very meh color from the outside.

Black - not even in the running. Too much maintenance.

Getting a wrap? Was considering this too since none of the colors I really digged. But heard it can be pricey.

*Interiors*

White - I love the seats (they look like marshmallows) but I don’t like the white strip on the dash personally. It gave me a headache. But everyone says white is better than black so I’m indecisive. Maybe it would grow on me? Idk

Black - It’s a safer interior choice. I like that it’s a more calm interior being darker. Don’t mind the wood trim.

I feel stuck and don’t know how to narrow it down haha

Not sure if misaligned body panels, subpar paint job, and minimalist interior will pass your fancy test. Best get a Mercedes or Audi for that. All the colors are kinda boring but plenty of wrap choices out there. Not sure how some people struggle with 5 paint colors and 2 interior colors. Most other car makers offer like twice that. Imagine if you were buying a Taycan!

Reactions: markc2
These were my thoughts so far:

*Exteriors*

White - looked good from the outside, especially with the contrast with the black door handles and roof tint. When I test drove it, from the inside I didn’t like looking at the white hood. The color just looked meh to me when looking from inside. I prefer from the inside for the color to either pop more (like Red or Blue) or hide away (like MSM). But I love the way the car looks from the outside.

MSM - I feel like this color looks good with fresh paint, but just looks dull/boring on the road. The gray hood blends in with the environment and looks nice from the inside. May be a bit of a boring color for a 23 y/o?

Red - $2k and maybe a cop magnet. But I do love the look of the red with black door handles a lot. Such a nice look. Feel like getting the red to look nice would take a lot of maintenance though. It didn’t pop as much when dirty I noticed.

Blue - I loved seeing blue color from the inside, like the hood and mirrors. It’s a very meh color from the outside.

Black - not even in the running. Too much maintenance.

Getting a wrap? Was considering this too since none of the colors I really digged. But heard it can be pricey.

*Interiors*

White - I love the seats (they look like marshmallows) but I don’t like the white strip on the dash personally. It gave me a headache. But everyone says white is better than black so I’m indecisive. Maybe it would grow on me? Idk

Black - It’s a safer interior choice. I like that it’s a more calm interior being darker. Don’t mind the wood trim.

I feel stuck and don’t know how to narrow it down haha

(Moderator note)

I moved this into a very recent thread on the exact same topic, because its the same topic. There is recent feedback on this topic in the thread I moved it to. I personally dont get trying to get "the internet" to help a person decide on 5 exterior + 2 interior colors, but people do it.

In addition with all the feedback in this thread I moved your post to, there is a very large model 3 pictures thread where you can see pictures people have taken of their cars, to help you make a decision. That thread is here:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...-pictures-thread.150647/page-209#post-5940745

Not sure if misaligned body panels, subpar paint job, and minimalist interior will pass your fancy test. Best get a Mercedes or Audi for that. All the colors are kinda boring but plenty of wrap choices out there. Not sure how some people struggle with 5 paint colors and 2 interior colors. Most other car makers offer like twice that. Imagine if you were buying a Taycan!
I hated driving Ice Cars. I love instant torque. So I don’t want any ICE car for sure

Can’t afford that. I love the look of the model 3. I’m just saying which color adds more sportiness to it. But even if none do, which color do most people like?

There is 5 pages of responses to that question in this thread, along with 220 thread pages of pictures in the thread I linked to earlier. Perhaps that will give you some feedback.