Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot force myself to buy current “dated” model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, so I decided I have enough waiting for TM3 (here in europe as non-owner I will get mine in late 2019, I guess). I have the money for S but I cannot get rid of feeling that current S is overdue for refesh and commiting 100k $ for this car seems wrong. Event the X has better interior and the 3 now has also much clever interior than S. Anyone here has the same feeling? I know that noone know when the refresh comes but I just want to share with others that as a potential buyer I feel this way and I guess that many others probably do also. That old 2013 interior with no pockets/belt adjusters/wrong cupholders/no hooks just feels stupid to me.

I own a 2018 Model S and I have been inside a demo Model 3. I vastly prefer the Model S interior.

I remember my old Civic having pockets and junk just collected in there. It was never useful.
I have never used coat hooks in my life.
I haven't had an issue with the cupholders. Not sure what wrong cupholders means.

The MCU is faster in the Model 3 but in terms of comfort and space and the actual drive the Model S wins for me. If you care that much about coat hooks and cupholders and such there are lots of aftermarket stores that can do that for you.

The MCU in a newly ordered Model S is faster now. I own a Model S and 2 Model 3s. I prefer the Model S. I've stated my reasons why in previous posts but big picture overall is it's bigger, faster, and more luxurious (presenting door handles, all glass roof with no cross beam, motorized trunk, better seats, air suspension, bio-defense HEPA filtration, etc.) If you have more questions or need more convincing PM me

Sometimes people just look for reason why not to buy. Saying the car is "dated" is as good a reason as any. Nobody said Model S is perfect, no car is, but one can use the "dated" argument till the end of time as there will always be advancements to come later. Recently Model S got a new main screen and cluster CPU, as well as vanity mirrors, you could claim that's a refresh. Since 2013, the max size battery went up from 85 to 100KWh, AP is on its second gen, seats are on 3rd gen, nose is new, roof is new, etc. If a similar percentage battery increase were to occur now, and an S120 was to be released, would that make it not dated? If someone wants a whole new design, Model 3's are available on ebay for less than a new Model S. So, IMO, anyone who says they are not buying a Tesla because it's "dated" has other reasons, "dated" is just an excuse. And please don't misunderstand me, there are plenty of reasons why not to buy a car, whether money related, feature related, or simply taste related, but the "car is dated" just sounds like a cop-out.

Last edited:
Totally understand how you feel. Even if there was a refresh coming soon it probably won’t be that drastic anyways. You’ll be in this game of waiting and waiting. They could do a refresh tomorrow but then what if they did another refresh in the fall? And then another next spring? The car is amazing and at least you’ll be getting a new MCU, something I don’t have.

This might delay the refresh a bit...

I too prefer Model S (still hold my reservation for 3) and the "spartan" look works for me. I never liked the pockets in the car collecting dust and clutter. And Model S is by no means dated. The MCU is a non-issue. There is no difference in response between old and new unit when it comes to controlling the functions of the car. zooming in and out, calculating a route and (hopefully) browsing the web will be faster on the new MCU, but it is not a deal-breaker.

No regrets with my Model S purchase. I was originally going to get a Model 3 but decided to get the S instead. No regrets. I love the extra space, duel screens are huge to me. I like to keep my power meter up especially in the winter. Like the nav much better on two screens also (big map over view and turn by turn on the dash screen). Really like the hatch back trunk also because it is very easy to get larger items in. As other have said I like not having door pockets. Keeps people from leaving junk in them. I hate a cluttered car. Don't use coat hooks but that problem is easily solved as there are after market ones you can get. Free supercharging is a nice perk also and very easy to get a referral to get that. Other huge thing for me is the current M3 isn't all wheel drive. I know it is coming but I need all wheel with the snow in my area.

Ok, so I decided I have enough waiting for TM3 (here in europe as non-owner I will get mine in late 2019, I guess). I have the money for S but I cannot get rid of feeling that current S is overdue for refesh and commiting 100k $ for this car seems wrong. Event the X has better interior and the 3 now has also much clever interior than S. Anyone here has the same feeling? I know that noone know when the refresh comes but I just want to share with others that as a potential buyer I feel this way and I guess that many others probably do also. That old 2013 interior with no pockets/belt adjusters/wrong cupholders/no hooks just feels stupid to me.

Wait for mission e or Audi

Yes... nicer, EXCEPT for the Model 3 display. I would like a Model S/X with the Model 3 display orientation, position and software.

I drive both cars 3 or more times a week and swap between them. The Model 3 display is better thought out overall.
New Model S and X have a new display (MCU2) and is just as responsive and fast as the Model 3 display now. Older Model S/X may be able to upgrade to the new display but cost and availability is not yet known.

Reactions: Sandollars
I own a 2018 Model S and I have been inside a demo Model 3. I vastly prefer the Model S interior
I agree, and what’s more I prefer my 2015 S interior to the 2018 — the yacht floor is both more functional and cleaner looking for my needs than the center console.

Oh well. It seems I’m in a minority, griping about lack of places to accumulate junk is one of the most common criticisms of the S. :-(

New Model S and X have a new display (MCU2) and is just as responsive and fast as the Model 3 display now. Older Model S/X may be able to upgrade to the new display but cost and availability is not yet known.

Responsiveness is not the problem at all. Problems are:

a) The Model S display tries to make you feel guilty about switching functions from the icon while driving (on version 7 and later), since the icons keep getting hidden. The function icons are always visible on the Model 3.

b) The Model 3 display is located closer to the driver. You don't need to do a sit-up every time you want to touch the display.

There is no winning with technology. That’s the nature of the game. I am with the thousands of others who have ordered cars just months ago and missed out on some updates like the lighted mirrors, MCU2 etc. No matter how you feel about it, there is no winning unless you plan to buy a new car every 6 months. Tesla seems to constantly make small changes to their cars. The great thing is, unlike most automotive companies, Tesla can offer OTA updates that can add some of the updated functionality to their older Gen cars.
At the end of the day, I like the M3 air vents, I like its minimalistic interior, I like its fast central display. But, the MS is a lot more stylish, more of a classic and in my opinion, one of the most distinctive and groundbreaking achievements in consumer automotive landscape of this past decade. While I may swoon over some of those M3 interior pictures, one look at my own car (the beautiful sleek and classy/stylish exterior), and the feel / size of the interior immediately makes me fall in love with the MS. I love my car and I would still buy the same MS in a heartbeat even if I had the option to get a M3. Tomorrow if Elon makes a surprise announcement on a 2nd Gen MS, while I might feel a bit sad that I am behind, the moment I get in my car and drive it, I will forget about the new version and just enjoy/love my car. Just bite the bullet and go for it if you can. You won’t be disappointed. We cannot predict the future, enjoy the now when you can.