Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot force myself to buy current “dated” model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get it.

'model S is dated'

Do you mean to say "I have to have the latest and greatest cool thing? "

Won't the model 3 be 'dated' too by that definition the minute a brand new model S comes out?

The model S is a better car in just about every way other than range per dollar and even that can be solved by buying a used one or realising that range is a non issue unless you live somewhere truly remote as the supercharger network is really growing at an incredible pace.

Reactions: arcus and jgs
Sure, you could miss out on some things. I was much the same way when I was considering buying, but what changed my perspective was that not all changes are for the better! Yes, I have AP2.5 and some other desirable changes in my car, but I missed out on the Alcantara dash, the ventilated seats (REALLY would’ve liked them for the summer), and other little things that have been long gone like the yacht floor (although the armrest is nice).

I ended up asking myself “If I buy the car today, will I be satisfied with it AS IT IS, even if it changes literally tomorrow”? The answer was yes, and I still love it. A lot of us here are gadget freaks and always have to have the latest and greatest, but as was mentioned further up the thread, you’d have to buy a new Tesla every 6 months in order to have that.

Although, I heard that Steve Jobs would purchase a new Mercedes SL in the exact same color/options package every 6 months, and trade in the old one. Something about CA law allowing up to 6 months of driving before you had to put license plates on your car? Hey, I’d do it if I could afford that depreciation hit 2X a year, hahaha.

Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla will release hardware changes throughout the year, with little advance notice, whenever the changes are ready. So it's usually difficult to predict how Tesla will change their cars - and when.

Since buying our first Tesla, an S P85 in early 2012, we've seen many new changes made to the Model S (refreshed front end, dual motor, TACC, power folding mirrors, parking sensors, AP 1, AP 2/EAP/FSD, included center console storage, larger battery packs, faster acceleration, lighted vanity mirrors, ...). And each time a new change would be introduced, we'd go through a period of "feature envy" and seriously consider replacing our S P85 with a new model - and for a long time we resisted - and quickly got back to enjoying driving a fantastic car, which was still getting new features through software updates (our S P85 will hopefully get the new navigation software soon...).

Last year, we couldn't resist any longer - and when the S 100D was introduced (with more range) and the AP2 hardware (with the potential for future self driving), we bought an S 100D, and traded in our ICE, keeping the S P85 (which will be replaced this year with a Model 3).

Manufacturers will always be introducing new features - and if you want to guarantee you always have the latest features - you'll never buy a car. For us, we focused on the most important features (range, autopilot) - and even if other changes are made, we won't be disappointed. We plan to keep our S 100D and the new Model 3 for around 100K miles each, and expect to see changes made to both models during that time - and that's OK, we'll still have great cars - with the features we thought were most important.

I don't get it.

'model S is dated'

I get what he is saying.

The interior hasn't refreshed since inception which is a long time in car years. Everything is pointing to a substantial interior refresh especially with the 3 showing up the S interior. I understand that a lot of folks love the current S interior - I like it too. But I understand the risk/reward tension this guy is dealing with. Take the plunge now and enjoy a great car, or hold off for what will no doubt be an indeterminate time for an even greater car. It is the same reason I went for a pre-loved 2015.

The theme of so many threads on the forum . . .

Reactions: MarkS22
2018's no longer have yacht floors?
Yeah, center console is non-optional now. You can't even get the yacht floor as an option, it seems (I asked an employee about it last time I was at a Tesla store, about a week ago). My wife doesn't like the center bin either -- when we checked out the 2018 S in the store, the first thing she tried to do it put her purse down in the center. Works fine with yacht floor. Bin, not so much. Oh well, "progress".

The S could use some of the niceties that they've put into the 3. That said, a dated S is arguably better than any other current ICE car in it's class.

I highly doubt anyone ordering a new S/X right now would be disappointed. There's a saying around that the best time to order is always "now". Tesla is always changing/upgrading if you wait for the latest, you'll never order.

I definitely feel the same way. The 2 most glaring issues to me are the 18650 cells and only 20 miles extra in the S100D over the 3LR? That’s ridiculous. When comparing the long range versions of both cars, the 3 is a better value in every way unless you really need a bigger car.

Reactions: MarkS22
I highly doubt anyone ordering a new S/X right now would be disappointed. There's a saying around that the best time to order is always "now". Tesla is always changing/upgrading if you wait for the latest, you'll never order.
I think one other point is that we are the close followers of the world around Tesla, hence we know nuances and can differentiate between different stages of development or features added over time. For a bystander Model S still catches attention, even the pre-facelift ones (they don't know the difference). Tech-wise it is still more advanced than most of the cars on the road, even if the tech is few years old. Plus, and I am biased on this, it is still one of the coolest looking cars on the road :)

Reactions: abasile and Xenius
OP has a valid concern. Has to choose between waiting for the latest and greatest Model 3, which will soon see major upgrades with bettter software/firmware, dual motors and additional color interior/exterior choices, or buy a Model S which has been around for a while..difficult choice.

With Tesla, there will always be something new just around the corner. No way around it, as they are dedicated to advancing the desirability of all electric vehicles.

The Model S has undergone significant enhancements to bring it to where it is today. Air suspensions, several seating changes, significant interior small item storage in center console, dual motors, automatic windshield wipers and headlight dimming, enhanced battery options, different tires and wheels, better self driving sensor suites, upgraded computer systems and faster displays. The entire front end was redesigned with the removal of the center grill.

Many of these items have been upgraded for free for existing owners. Expect more updates to come via OTA.

Some day the entire body structure will be revisited. Expect at that time a hue and cry to come that many still would prefer the original design :)

The current design is well refined and has received many improvements since they first rolled down the assembly line. Quality is better and more options are available. The car is still state of the art and far ahead of anything else being produced today.

Elon said years ago that owners should buy their Tesla when they can. Not try to upgrade to every new release, but simply enjoy the ownership experience. When something comes out in the future that you simply must have, simply trade your existing Tesla in on a new one.
This seems to give the greatest satisfaction. So many seem to just keep their existing vehicles, as they still give them great pleasure, and of course is a less expensive route.

I definitely feel the same way. The 2 most glaring issues to me are the 18650 cells and only 20 miles extra in the S100D over the 3LR? That’s ridiculous. When comparing the long range versions of both cars, the 3 is a better value in every way unless you really need a bigger car.

Performance wise the S100D is closer to a BMW M5 while the Model 3 would be comparable to a 328i.

For some reason its easy to lose perspective when talking about EVs.

Reactions: jaguar36
2018's no longer have yacht floors?

Not for a long time...I think the yacht floor went away around the time of the 2016 refresh.

In the "newer isn't always better" category, here's why I like my "even more dated" April 2015 S85D...admittedly all of these come down to personal preference and I don't expect anybody to share mine:
  • Yacht floor makes the front part of the cockpit more open (admittedly at the expense of storage compartments)
  • AP1 (better than AP2 until recently), included with tech package
  • Pre-refresh frunk is larger (only the original RWD cars have more storage in the frunk)
  • I like the nosecone. Easy to pop off to get to the 12V terminals should that be necessary.
  • Grey seats (no longer available, although admittedly the newer seats are probably more comfortable)
  • Didn't have to go through all the drama with the 90 batteries (missed out on that by about half a year)
I'd rather be driving this "dated" thing than any other car on the road right now. :D

Bruce.

Ok, so I decided I have enough waiting for TM3 (here in europe as non-owner I will get mine in late 2019, I guess). I have the money for S but I cannot get rid of feeling that current S is overdue for refesh and commiting 100k $ for this car seems wrong. Event the X has better interior and the 3 now has also much clever interior than S. Anyone here has the same feeling? I know that noone know when the refresh comes but I just want to share with others that as a potential buyer I feel this way and I guess that many others probably do also. That old 2013 interior with no pockets/belt adjusters/wrong cupholders/no hooks just feels stupid to me.
I totally disagree. The newer model S interior is superior to the Model X. And I also prefer it to the model 3. I don't feel like the model S is dated at all. But, then again, this is all subjective opinion. So if you dont like it, don't buy it. :)

Reactions: jgs and arcus
Not for a long time...I think the yacht floor went away around the time of the 2016 refresh.

In the "newer isn't always better" category, here's why I like my "even more dated" April 2015 S85D...admittedly all of these come down to personal preference and I don't expect anybody to share mine:
  • Yacht floor makes the front part of the cockpit more open (admittedly at the expense of storage compartments)
  • AP1 (better than AP2 until recently), included with tech package
  • Pre-refresh frunk is larger (only the original RWD cars have more storage in the frunk)
  • I like the nosecone. Easy to pop off to get to the 12V terminals should that be necessary.
  • Grey seats (no longer available, although admittedly the newer seats are probably more comfortable)
  • Didn't have to go through all the drama with the 90 batteries (missed out on that by about half a year)
I'd rather be driving this "dated" thing than any other car on the road right now. :D

Bruce.
IMO AP1 is still > AP2 currently.

You actually like grey seats? That's about the only thing I disagree with you on, other than the 90kW battery that I have :p

I've got both a 2017 P100D and a 2014 85 and while there is a massive number of differences between them, there are definitely a lot of things I like better on the 2014. The seats aren't nearly as supportive, however I like them better for long trips. The real leather in the 2014 feels nicer than the fake stuff in the 2017. The massive frunk is awesome and super useful on the 2014, the frunk on the 2017 is pretty worthless. I also hate the stupid self closing charge port. Every time I try to use a non-Tesla charge I fight with it. Lastly my biggest complaint is the stupid worthless center console. I would love to have the bowling alley back, it was so useful for bags and made the cabin feel more open.

Reactions: bmah and The Duke
Be careful what you wish for. I was ready to buy a '86 F250 and waited for the '87 to come out with the updates. Then I had to scramble to find an '86 with the specs I wanted because the '87 was butt ugly.

IMO AP1 is still > AP2 currently.

You actually like grey seats? That's about the only thing I disagree with you on, other than the 90kW battery that I have :p

I wanted to give AP2 the benefit of the doubt, given that I have never driven an AP2 car.

Yeah I like the grey seats! I think the choices at the time were black textile, black leather, grey leather, and tan leather. Growing up in Central California I got a habit of avoiding dark car parts or sunroofs (so my metallic silver car has a solid body color roof), and the tan would look weird with a silver exterior. If I had to choose today I'd probably do the black.

Bruce.