Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot force myself to buy current “dated” model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got both a 2017 P100D and a 2014 85 and while there is a massive number of differences between them, there are definitely a lot of things I like better on the 2014. The seats aren't nearly as supportive, however I like them better for long trips. The real leather in the 2014 feels nicer than the fake stuff in the 2017. The massive frunk is awesome and super useful on the 2014, the frunk on the 2017 is pretty worthless. I also hate the stupid self closing charge port. Every time I try to use a non-Tesla charge I fight with it. Lastly my biggest complaint is the stupid worthless center console. I would love to have the bowling alley back, it was so useful for bags and made the cabin feel more open.

I can't believe they got rid of the larger frunk. I would have loved to have the extra space for trips.

Agree with the comments about the yacht floor. I thought it was a major selling point for the S and I wish they still had it.

Elon, are you reading this?

Well except to all the people who complained about it when the S only came in yacht floor and they wanted to be able to store their entire bedroom in the car in concealment and without threat of it flying around because launches.

There really is no pleasing everyone. I also love the S (and X) but for me the 3 is the bomb because smaller, sportier, cleaner interior, no dash display means incredible visibility, and so much more. So I do agree the S feels dated and pretentious (to me). I’d want to put my parents in one.

Ok, so I decided I have enough waiting for TM3 (here in europe as non-owner I will get mine in late 2019, I guess). I have the money for S but I cannot get rid of feeling that current S is overdue for refesh and commiting 100k $ for this car seems wrong. Event the X has better interior and the 3 now has also much clever interior than S. Anyone here has the same feeling? I know that noone know when the refresh comes but I just want to share with others that as a potential buyer I feel this way and I guess that many others probably do also. That old 2013 interior with no pockets/belt adjusters/wrong cupholders/no hooks just feels stupid to me.

This is the dilemma we face in substance as well. Our P85D is going to be off warranty at the end of the year and we absolutely won't own a Tesla without the warranty. Because we feel that the Model S is dated both interior and exterior, we won't buy a new Model S unless it's been thoroughly updated. And we aren't going to spend money to extend the warranty because we usually don't own cars for more than 4 years and we are bored with the P85D. On top of that, from what I understand, our HOV stickers expire early next year, and those stickers are one of the primary reasons we bought an EV.

I liked our P85D quite a bit and if Tesla were to introduce a revamped Model S before the end of the year it would be the first car we look at. But no way will I spend over $100k on a car that is as long in the tooth as the current Model S.

• Disagree
Reactions: Troy
I also hate the stupid self closing charge port. Every time I try to use a non-Tesla charge I fight with it.
Interesting, what's the fight? I've never had a problem with mine.
Lastly my biggest complaint is the stupid worthless center console. I would love to have the bowling alley back, it was so useful for bags and made the cabin feel more open.
Couldn't agree more.

Ok, so I decided I have enough waiting for TM3 (here in europe as non-owner I will get mine in late 2019, I guess). I have the money for S but I cannot get rid of feeling that current S is overdue for refesh and commiting 100k $ for this car seems wrong. Event the X has better interior and the 3 now has also much clever interior than S. Anyone here has the same feeling? I know that noone know when the refresh comes but I just want to share with others that as a potential buyer I feel this way and I guess that many others probably do also. That old 2013 interior with no pockets/belt adjusters/wrong cupholders/no hooks just feels stupid to me.
Don't listen to what anyone here has to say. Trust your gut, it's always right. If you are hesitating then don't buy it. You will only regret it. Paying this kind of money for what is basically a 6 year old design is just asking for buyer's remorse. I certainly wouldn't be buying a Model S right now either.

Look at it this way... the new Roadster is supposed to ship in 2020. That's just two years away. Its interior and exterior design aesthetic is light years ahead of Model S and X. Absolutely the S and X will need to be updated by the time Roadster ships. Tesla also hired Volvo's interior design person, and that was after Tesla showed off the Model 3 interior. He wasn't hired for Model 3, gee I wonder what he's working on?

Another point to consider, the current non-performance Model S cannot justify the high price above the Model 3. In terms of performance and range, the two are pretty much comparable, yet Model S is at least double the price with no real justification for the added cost. You can expect that to change, it has to.

Based on Tesla's released Q1 sales figures, Model S and X sales have hit a plateau and deliveries are actually down versus last year. You can bet Tesla will start pulling demand levers, one of which is sure to be a revamp.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianKH and P85Dave
This is the dilemma we face in substance as well. Our P85D is going to be off warranty at the end of the year and we absolutely won't own a Tesla without the warranty. Because we feel that the Model S is dated both interior and exterior, we won't buy a new Model S unless it's been thoroughly updated. And we aren't going to spend money to extend the warranty because we usually don't own cars for more than 4 years and we are bored with the P85D. On top of that, from what I understand, our HOV stickers expire early next year, and those stickers are one of the primary reasons we bought an EV.

I liked our P85D quite a bit and if Tesla were to introduce a revamped Model S before the end of the year it would be the first car we look at. But no way will I spend over $100k on a car that is as long in the tooth as the current Model S.

Good news for you is that with over $100K budget you have a ton of choice as far as cars. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Don't listen to what anyone here has to say. Trust your gut, it's always right. If you are hesitating then don't buy it. You will only regret it. Paying this kind of money for what is basically a 6 year old design is just asking for buyer's remorse. I certainly wouldn't be buying a Model S right now either.

Look at it this way... the new Roadster is supposed to ship in 2020. That's just two years away. Its interior and exterior design aesthetic is light years ahead of Model S and X. Absolutely the S and X will need to be updated by the time Roadster ships. Tesla also hired Volvo's interior design person, and that was after Tesla showed off the Model 3 interior. He wasn't hired for Model 3, gee I wonder what he's working on?

Another point to consider, the current non-performance Model S cannot justify the high price above the Model 3. In terms of performance and range, the two are pretty much comparable, yet Model S is at least double the price with no real justification for the added cost. You can expect that to change, it has to.

Based on Tesla's released Q1 sales figures, Model S and X sales have hit a plateau and deliveries are actually down versus last year. You can bet Tesla will start pulling demand levers, one of which is sure to be a revamp.

We are waiting for the interior update as well. Does anyone have any idea how long it will take them to ramp up their supply chain after a design for a new interior is finalized? Tesla hired the Volvo interior designer in December of 2016 so that's a while ago and I would like to think we will see the Model S interior update by the end of the year and it should be a much needed major overhaul to the interior aesthetics more in keeping with the price segment of the car.

Also waiting patiently for a refresh of the Model S before upgrading.

Door Handles, air vents, dash etc all need updating to keep ahead of the new EV's coming on the market.

Looking forward to see what the Interior Designer from Volvo can do. He did a great job for Volvo and and sure he will do a great job for Tesla.

Love my current MS but would have a hard time telling a friend to buy one now.

When the model 3 is cheaper and has better range per $.

I wonder what the delay is with implementing the new battery technology into the Model S cars is from the Model 3?

You would think they would want the premium batteries in the premium car.

I wonder what the delay is with implementing the new battery technology into the Model S cars is from the Model 3?

You would think they would want the premium batteries in the premium car.

I don’t think you have to look further than production volume for the answer... they need all they can produce to get the M3 built for the moment.

Similarly I doubt there is going to be a major change in the MS until they have the new battery packs available in sufficient volume. It makes sense to tie the interior update to whatever chassis changes the new packs will need...

I love my large frunk, 80 amp, no center console, minimalist, S85 but it did take getting used to. My old vehicles used to seem to grow junk in all the nooks and crannies. I got on the Tesla center consule waiting list but by the time I was invited to order, 6 months later, there was no way I was going to give up that space. The loss of that and the large frunk are steps backwards in my view, although I do see the reason regarding the extra motor.

But I do see the OP's dilemma. The price of an S vs. 3 doesn't seem to be justified anymore, although the S is clearly much better if money is no issue.

Last edited:
But I do see the OP's dilemma. The price of an S vs. 3 doesn't seem to be justified anymore, although the S is clearly much better if money is no issue.

I think the wide disparity in lead time between MS and M3 is going to have to get a lot smaller before the MS sales will feel the real impact of that though...

Performance wise the S100D is closer to a BMW M5 while the Model 3 would be comparable to a 328i.

For some reason its easy to lose perspective when talking about EVs.

This is a very fair point and one that I omitted. My opinion still stands though, because I do not believe that a jump from $55k to $100k+ is warranted. 20 more miles, extra performance, more space is worth $50k? I suppose that’s up to the individual buyer to determine that. For me, it isn’t.

One other thing I’d like to point out. The semi and roadster are boasting some impressive specs with some yet unannounced battery configuration/chemistry. They’re 1-2 years away from production. What those vehicles have is what the S/X need to get ASAP. THAT would make the price jump worthwhile.

This is a very fair point and one that I omitted. My opinion still stands though, because I do not believe that a jump from $55k to $100k+ is warranted. 20 more miles, extra performance, more space is worth $50k? I suppose that’s up to the individual buyer to determine that. For me, it isn’t.

One other thing I’d like to point out. The semi and roadster are boasting some impressive specs with some yet unannounced battery configuration/chemistry. They’re 1-2 years away from production. What those vehicles have is what the S/X need to get ASAP. THAT would make the price jump worthwhile.

That's what we are all waiting for... :)

I was in the same boat, I decided to get the 75D right now, I really think that a refrshed S would be delivered to us in EU just a few months before a Model 3 so then I would really have to wait so I could test them both. Not owning a Tesla for the next year while I would be boring. If what comes late 2019 or early 2020 (from Tesla and others) is fun I can always switch then.