Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cannot get rid of streaky film on windshields of new S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i would NOT recommend steel wool or sandpaper. use a product intended for cleaning a car. try a clay bar, i'd be shocked if that didnt remove it. you will need a lubricant, can be glass cleaner, detail spray, or car shampoo. there are plenty of brands of clay that are all basically the same. Any clay for paint will work fine on glass too. I use the one linked below, but you can find a decent clay at your local auto parts store i'm sure as well.

Adam's Polishes Fine Grade Clay Bar | Soft Clay Bar Car Detailing

Reactions: foos
I just got done cleaning the inside of my window last night that had some nasty finger prints from when Tesla replaced the windshield last week. I was having a difficult time getting it to be completely streak free using some generic cleaning solution and I have a feeling the microfiber towel I was using still had a very slight amount of residue from something else (even though I wash them). My recommendations:

- Make sure you’re using a clean cloth that doesn’t potentially have any oils or residue from other products.
- Try a dedicated window cleaning product. I picked up some Chemical Guys glass cleaner and it works great.
- Try using a second towel to wipe off any excess product you’re using.
- Use a clay bar.

Is it on the inside of the glass?

A lot of injection molded plastics continue to release gas (out-gas) after they leave the factory (that's the 'new car smell'). Sometimes it condenses on the windshield and interior glass. But that stuff should wipe away pretty easily - but don't be surprised if it comes back!

Good luck!

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
IMCDC5 +1. For about 6 months you can expect the film, depending on how much sun and how hot the interior gets. Used to be a special product, can't find it now. A 50-50 mix of distilled water and denatured alcohol with a microfiber towel should do the trick.

Don't underestimate that your "glass cleaner" could be leaving the film. Try it on a plate glass window and see what happens there. I had a gallon of glass cleaner from a well established manufacturer that left a film. Got my $$ back and switched back to Stoner's.

I’ve tried a number of glass cleaners and glass cleaning regimens over the years, and interestingly I have settled on a cleaner/wax as my preferred model. more specifically I:

1. Wash car
2. Wax windows with Meguiars cleaner/wax (see here: https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Cle...1549689208&sprefix=Meguiars+cl,aps,186&sr=8-5 )
3. Wait for wax to haze then buff off
4. Clean glass with either Sprayway glass gleaner or Invisible Glass glass cleaner (this is primarily to remove the wax left behind after step 2!)

The cleaners in that wax have just been much better at cutting through the various films and I don’t have to clean the windows 37 times attempting to get them smear free! Ironically, I have been using this cleaner/wax for years on my paint as a great one step product after washing (taking care of those pesky leftover water spots after washing and drying with a not quite dry enough rag). Who knew?

After washing car and using standard window cleaners, there remains a streaked film on both windshields (and I assume the moon roof). What is it and how do I get rid of it. TIA
Between using Meguiar's Quik Mist and Wipe Detailer and Sprayway Glass cleaner, I think I have solved the gunk problem. I have now discovered what seems to be, potentially, a defect in the safety glass itself. When the sun is at a low angle, say sunrise plus 2-3 hours or sunset minus 2-3 hours, the windshields have a consistent appearance that I can only describe as having the look that they have been finely sandblasted. When the sun is higher, the windshields are totally clear---no sign of sandblast effect. Could there be a defect in the film (sheet) that is sandwiched in the glass??