Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot invite driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

New Model Y owner. I am trying to invite my wife to be a driver using the app. When she clicks on the link I send her she gets this error message. Any ideas?

She created the Tesla account some months ago but has tried logging out / logging back in / setup of MFA - nothing works

Even tried deleting the Tesla account and it won’t let us with multiple reasons stated which are all not true.

Thanks

B0745867-DCED-4F62-8D7D-8203C7BC8ADB.png

In fact, the whole purpose is that others don't have access to your Tesla account. So the word account is the wrong word here. It's an electronic key card, not a separate Tesla account.

No, its a separate tesla account, because they can have their own products that have nothing to do with you in it. Its no different than having a shared bank account with someone, but you each having your own login to said shared acccount.

Upvote 0
My wife has her own tesla account, with its own user name and password, that is completely 100% separate from my tesla account, which also has its own user name and password.
But that's not the same as total access to your car account, only access to the app, right? That's a very different thing. What happens if you try to sign on to the Tesla website using these different "accounts".

Upvote 0
Got it, an app "account" is not the same as a true Tessla account. Terminology can confuse the issue. So you can allow an "account" to access parts of your account.

Its not an "App account" its THEIR tesla account ( a full tesla account) that you can grant the ability to have access to your car. There isnt any need for "Account" in quotes, because their account is as much a full tesla account as yours. The access to your car is different, but that doesnt make it any less a tesla account.

If Your neighbor with a tesla added you as a driver to their car., that doesnt make YOUR tesla account any less a "tesla account" does it?

Reactions: PACEMD
Upvote 0
Ok, their Tesla account then just shows partial access to your car. Or am I still confusing the issue? You say account I say tomato...........Ok, I'll stop now, I think maybe I got it. I guess what I was missing is that the other person has to set up or have their own Tessla account and then be invited to access your car.......right?

Last edited:
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
How do you contact Tesla Support? The App method of "Service" always assume a hardware problem. I want to report a software fault. It's not clear how you do that to me.
You can only contact Service using the app, and they can't help with this. To contact support, go here instead: Tesla SSO - Sign In

Why do you need a separate account for your wife? We have one account for the car and everyone in the family uses that account with separate profiles. I don't think you can have individual accounts for the same car.
You don't need a separate account, but plenty of people (me included) choose to have one, and Tesla certainly supports it. In my case, my account has access to both my Model S and my wife's Model 3, but her account only has access to her car (since she doesn't drive mine).

Upvote 0
Ok, their Tesla account then just shows partial access to your car. Or am I still confusing the issue? You say account I say tomato...........Ok, I'll stop now, I think maybe I got it. I guess what I was missing is that the other person has to set up or have their own Tessla account and then be invited to access your car.......right?
Yep if they don’t have a Tesla account it will tell them to install the app and create a Tesla account in the notification email.

Reactions: PACEMD
Upvote 0
Glad to hear the problem will be resolved, but in case there’s still any confusion, there’s only one kind of Tesla account, and you’re not required to own a Tesla to create one. I created my Tesla account several months before I ordered my first Tesla, so that I could access Tesla’s now defunct forums.

If you have multiple Tesla accounts in your household and you also own PV solar and Powerwalls, the Powerwall Support team can give any of those accounts access to the PV system via the app. You have to call them to do that, there’s no self service option as there is with vehicles.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear the problem will be resolved, but in case there’s still any confusion, there’s only one kind of Tesla account, and you’re not required to own a Tesla to create one. I created my Tesla account several months before I ordered my first Tesla, so that I could access Tesla’s now defunct forums.

If you have multiple Tesla accounts in your household and you also own PV solar and Powerwalls, the Powerwall Support team can give any of those accounts access to the PV system via the app. You have to call them to do that, there’s no self service option as there is with vehicles.
Yep. My wife created her Tesla account as did I before we even ordered the car and we got the car on Saturday. It was associated to my account of course as registered owner. The only reason she wants to use her own account (which I believe there are a few downsides) is so she can maintain her MFA token herself without relying on me or my phone. I think the downsides to her having her own account we can live with.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Yep. My wife created her Tesla account as did I before we even ordered the car and we got the car on Saturday. It was associated to my account of course as registered owner. The only reason she wants to use her own account (which I believe there are a few downsides) is so she can maintain her MFA token herself without relying on me or my phone. I think the downsides to her having her own account we can live with.
What downsides? My wife uses her own account to access her car, which was purchased using my account, and I haven’t found any downsides to that arrangement. An upside is that her app doesn’t see my car, which she doesn’t need access to.

Upvote 0
What downsides? My wife uses her own account to access her car, which was purchased using my account, and I haven’t found any downsides to that arrangement. An upside is that her app doesn’t see my car, which she doesn’t need access to.

Most of those downsides have been mitigated by tesla, over time. It used to be that the "additional driver" did not have access to submit service requests, or request roadside assistance in the app. They also cant order upgrades (by design I am sure.. I would count this as a plus).

Those have been corrected, so I dont see any other downsides to separate accounts at this point, either.

Reactions: whatthe2
Upvote 0

Most of those downsides have been mitigated by tesla, over time. It used to be that the "additional driver" did not have access to submit service requests, or request roadside assistance in the app. They also cant order upgrades (by design I am sure.. I would count this as a plus).

Those have been corrected, so I dont see any other downsides to separate accounts at this point, either.
Excellent. I was probably looking at an old article. Roadside assistance was one I read but if that's available, that's fab.

Tesla Service Center by way of SMS messaging back/forth have managed to manually add the car to my wife's Tesla account/app and she can now control car and manage her own MFA token (should the app log her out). No explanation for why the 'self invite' process is failing for me and at least one other.

Upvote 0
Excellent. I was probably looking at an old article. Roadside assistance was one I read but if that's available, that's fab.

Tesla Service Center by way of SMS messaging back/forth have managed to manually add the car to my wife's Tesla account/app and she can now control car and manage her own MFA token (should the app log her out). No explanation for why the 'self invite' process is failing for me and at least one other.
Good to hear, as I've run into the same error. I'd done this successfully for another driver a year ago using the web page procedure, so I was really surprised to get that error dialog when I did it from within the iOS app. It was doubly unuseful that all of the help links (in-car and web page) re-directs you to the "Locks" user manual page that starts with "Select the car in the app."

Upvote 0
So I ended up here after having the exact same problem when adding my wife as driver in our new Model Y, so this is still a problem. I have tried setting up a couple of other new users, with and without MFA to test with, and end up with the same error message. We are both using app version 4.6.1 on iPhone. Tesla should be looking at the root cause of this and fix the problem, cause this is not a great user experience as a new Tesla owner.

So the only is still to book a service appointment in the app, and have them patch the problem via SMS-dialogue? Luckily there is a workaround by logging in using my account, but I would rather use the additional driver feature when it is available.

Upvote 0
So the only is still to book a service appointment in the app, and have them patch the problem via SMS-dialogue? Luckily there is a workaround by logging in using my account, but I would rather use the additional driver feature when it is available.
Exactly what I did, and the advisor was able to get it sorted out the next business day. FWIW, I provided the other Tesla account's user id in a text note on the trouble ticket. I don't know if the advisor forced that user id into the system or just "activated" the pending invitation...

Reactions: rcotgrov
Upvote 0
Just picked up my tesla. Having the exact same issue. Had my wife create a new account w/ her email. Sent her a "invitation to share" link via the Security->Manage Drivers->Add Driver option in the app. The fancy URL link gets sent to her phone.

Clicking on it opens a web browser that tells her "Yo've been added as a driver" to accept you need to "download the app, then tap the link below". Tapping/ clicking the link does ... nothing. It looks like it should redirect to open the mobile Tesla app but it just ... doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?

Upvote 0
Just picked up my tesla. Having the exact same issue. Had my wife create a new account w/ her email. Sent her a "invitation to share" link via the Security->Manage Drivers->Add Driver option in the app. The fancy URL link gets sent to her phone.

Clicking on it opens a web browser that tells her "Yo've been added as a driver" to accept you need to "download the app, then tap the link below". Tapping/ clicking the link does ... nothing. It looks like it should redirect to open the mobile Tesla app but it just ... doesn't.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas?
Replying to myself- contacted delivery team, no dice. Ended up deleting the app & reinstalling on wife’s phone. Worked then.

Upvote 0
Replying to myself- contacted delivery team, no dice. Ended up deleting the app & reinstalling on wife’s phone. Worked then.
I found another solution in case someone has a similar problem. Use the Tesla app of the primary driver, to text the invite code to the person you are trying to link the car to. Then try the link, if opens on your device and shows "Open in Tesla app" at the top, it's a device specific problem, not an issue with the app. Then log out of your Tesla app, on your phone, and have the other person log into your phone with THEIR login and password and try the link again. Then it associates with the account that is currently logged in. That's what worked for me when I had the exact same problem. iPhones sometimes don't respond to those links and then they "do nothing."

Upvote 0