Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot locate Tesla app in the Android Google Play store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I want to install the Tesla app on my wife's Motorola Android phone because she needs to borrow my car while hers is in the shop.
But when I search for the Tesla app in the Play store, I cannot find it. There are dozens, maybe more than 100, other apps that the Play Store displays when I search for "Tesla," but not the official app. I tried using "Tesla, Inc." to no avail. I did the searches several times over the span of about an hour.

Does the phone need to be registered with Tesla or something? I did not think so.
Or is the app temporarily unavailable while an update is prepared or loaded? Anyone have a clue?
Thanks!

Search this forum. There is another thread discussing this. The consensus is they added NFC (in addition to Bluetooth) to the unlock methods and phones without NFC now cannot install. Tesla must have specified NFC as mandatory rather than optional. If your wife’s phone lacks NFC, and yours has it, that might be the cause.

I would think this would be caught quickly be Tesla but anything odd possible at this moment. Again, do a search and you might get more up to date information.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I want to install the Tesla app on my wife's Motorola Android phone because she needs to borrow my car while hers is in the shop.
But when I search for the Tesla app in the Play store, I cannot find it. There are dozens, maybe more than 100, other apps that the Play Store displays when I search for "Tesla," but not the official app. I tried using "Tesla, Inc." to no avail. I did the searches several times over the span of about an hour.

Does the phone need to be registered with Tesla or something? I did not think so.
Or is the app temporarily unavailable while an update is prepared or loaded? Anyone have a clue?
Thanks!

I just did a search for the app, not from my phone, but from my Windows PC and here it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslamotors.tesla

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I just did a search for the app, not from my phone, but from my Windows PC and here it is:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslamotors.tesla

Thanks. that could be it. My wife's phone lacks NFC. Which should not be a issue anyway, because people have used the app for years without NFC, so why require it retroactively? The Play Store screen you showed does not indicate that NFC is required, either, just Android 5.0. Annoying. So now I have to send my spouse out with my car but she will not have use of the app to manage the car if she needs to, unless I give her my phone....Grrr. Seems stupid, but there it is.

Thanks!
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to add this to this forum, but I uploaded the latest version of the app to my Google drive.

Mods, if this is not allowed, please delete this post. I apologize in advance if this is a rule violation.

If you want a copy, here is the link:
Tesla apk