Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot login to YouTube using Tesla Browser

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone have any updates? I just purchased model 3 January 2021 and i can’t find a work around on this.

I'm going to ass-ume you've tried the youtube video that I post on the first page... If so, do a reboot by pressing and holding both steering wheel buttons until the screen goes black then release. You've got a brand new vehicle so it may just need a reboot to flush some bugs. Also try using wifi instead of cell signal when trying this login to YouTube stuff.

Post back with what you've done and any changes. What software version are you on btw?

New Tesla 2021, Advanced updates. Can not login with Google account so I created a new Google account and the Plex trick worked, so disabling the MFA and allow less secure apps must not take effect striaght away... Going to Disable again on the account I need logged in and leave it a while. I really want to test out Stadia on the dam thing.

New Tesla 2021, Advanced updates. Can not login with Google account so I created a new Google account and the Plex trick worked, so disabling the MFA and allow less secure apps must not take effect striaght away... Going to Disable again on the account I need logged in and leave it a while. I really want to test out Stadia on the dam thing.
"Shares Stadia to new account" Hmmmm lets see if this works.

2021 Update: Your best option that will work 100% is the NVIDIA website, scroll down, login in using google, (NVIDIA WEBSITE WILL NOT BE BLOCKED BY A ‘GOOGLE SECURE’!) once logged in, you must complete making a random NVIDIA account, once signed into google on the web browser still, click on the YouTube app icon (in the top right 9 boxes section) from the browser on the top right of the screen next to your profile logo. Once you click that YouTube app icon from the browser list it will launch the Tesla YouTube app where you will be 100% logged in! Problem solved. Carry on

New thread, so new PSA:

Be aware that being logged into YouTube means you're logged into all of Google. This means that anyone who sits in your car if you've logged in has access to your Gmail account, and therefore anything that is associated with it.

I wonder if this is intentional on Teslas part or if it's truly a bug.

The browser that Tesla uses is limited. Google's login mechanism has evolved into a very complex beast and requires some browser features that Tesla does not support. I wouldn't call that a bug. As for "intentional": it's certainly under Tesla's control what they do/don't support, and how they prioritize software feature development, so in that regards yes, it's intentional. But if you're asking whether Tesla set out to break the ability to log in from the youtube app, I'm skeptical of that.

If anything, the choice to break things was done by Google. You can find their responses to the error message, and apparently they have some hypothetical security edge cases that they think they're dealing with. Maybe they do. And maybe breaking the YT app in my Tesla is really in truly the only way to deal with those things. But it does make me wonder when I don't have login problems from other apps. There are an awful lot of Teslas being driven by Google employees, so if they haven't fixed it I believe that's intentional. Whether they believe it's technologically correct, or whether there's a policy being handed down from higher up is something that I have no clue about.

Reactions: Gasaraki
For anyone using this trick, make sure you use a throwaway Gmail account with it's own password not your main account. The throwaway account can't be used to access anything important which matters in a car because people you don't know, valets for example, will be in your car.

• Informative
Reactions: DopeGhoti
It is pretty pathetic that this has been an issue for so long. I just cannot understand why Tesla hasnt fixed it.
I am beginning to think they are burning almost all of the development resources on FSD, and neglecting the rest of the software. If they are not careful the Android Automotive will overtake Tesla as the best user experience.

Reactions: Matsayz