Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot reformat USB / Only records Sentry?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two things I discovered recently when I went to try out the new (YAY!) feature of the in-car Teslacam Viewer ...

1. The option to "Reformat USB drive" (in Security settings) for some reason is greyed out for me, it won't let me press it. Is this the same for everyone?

2. My Teslacam only seems to record Sentry events now, and that's it. I swore it used to record everyday just driving down the road, and I could play it back, but now it doesn't seem to have those recordings anymore. When I open the Viewer, it only shows Sentry mode recordings, and the option at the top to show "Dashcam" videos is greyed out.

I assume this is not how it is supposed to work?

IMG_20200701_150153.jpg
do you have two Sd cards installed? like one for music the other for sentry? if so remove the music drive and voila, the format usb shows up.

OK, actually this didn't work. I removed the music usb, then rebooted the interface with a long press of both scroll wheels. When the car came back online, the option to reformat was still greyed out.

UPDATE: This appears to be a Tesla software issue. When I remove the Teslacam USB and plug it into my computer, I can see all of the Dashcam footage. Front, sides and rear. Same with saved events and Sentry mode videos - they are all there on the drive. It seems that the in car viewer is only letting me view the Sentry recordings for some reason, and won't let me reformat.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
the car has no way of knowing which SD card to format for now (maybe this behavior will change in future updates?) so this is why i suspect you need to have only one SD card installed to get the format screen.

what SD cards are you using? are they just some old cards you had laying around or did you purchase new ones for your car?

did you try to format them on your computer (mac or PC? ) or just only in the car if they were purchased new ?

id do another reset in the car, but this time use the button in the interface to turn the car off. sit still in your drivers seat for about 3 minutes and do not touch the brake or anything in that time. then press the brake to turn on the car. let the system get up to speed then insert one card in again and try the format process.

ive had zero issues formatting the card when only one is present in the system.

Thank you for the clue about the boot record. That was the key for me. I am using a USB drive (128G). I tried many different ways of formatting with Disk Utility and one of them finally worked. I selected the "Master Boot Record" scheme option when erasing and reformatting the drive.

Formatting drives is so 1995. Why does Tesla make you deal with such banalities in 2020?

Anyway, thanks brkaus!

Same issue. Tried formatting in the car and my Mac. The M3 says that there are too many partitions on the drive. The Mac says there are no partitions. Anybody have any clue?

I don't know about MACs, but checking out the USB drive in "Disk Management" in Windows 10 will show you if there are extra partitions. Another way would be to get a GParted live disc and use that to wipe out all the existing partitions.

BTW, I use a single MicroSD card designed for frequent writes connected through a USB adapter to my Tesla. I partitioned it using GParted into two FAT32 partitions. One for music and one for TeslaCam. I've had no issues.

For whatever reason, I could see the multiple partitions on Windows disk management but could never clear the whole thing. I do t remember where I formatted it initially - have Unix, OS X, and windows boxes around the house.

the utility I mentioned above was the only thing that would do the trick. I may have also had some damage as windows complained about needing a repair when I plugged it in.

I did purchase a née microsd card and it formatted in the car on first try.

I don't know about MACs, but checking out the USB drive in "Disk Management" in Windows 10 will show you if there are extra partitions. Another way would be to get a GParted live disc and use that to wipe out all the existing partitions.

BTW, I use a single MicroSD card designed for frequent writes connected through a USB adapter to my Tesla. I partitioned it using GParted into two FAT32 partitions. One for music and one for TeslaCam. I've had no issues.
For whatever reason, I could see the multiple partitions on Windows disk management but could never clear the whole thing. I do t remember where I formatted it initially - have Unix, OS X, and windows boxes around the house.

the utility I mentioned above was the only thing that would do the trick. I may have also had some damage as windows complained about needing a repair when I plugged it in.

I did purchase a née microsd card and it formatted in the car on first try.

I see a lot of people use the SD cards. Is there an advantage over USB drive? I may have some old SD cards from my camera I could use.

Reactions: spehanich