Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot reply to SMS using iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having issues with replying to text messages from my Model 3, with SW 2020.28.6, on MCU 3 (but I think the issue started with 2020.28.5). My iPhone X with iOS 13.6.1 is connected via Bluetooth. Incoming messages work correctly. I can do the normal right button dance to dictate a reply and send it, but my reply does not show up as an outgoing message on the iPhone, and is not recevied by the recipient.

I can send a message if I do a voice command "Send message to XX", which then allows me to dictate the message, and it is sent from the iPhone.

This used to work a few weeks ago. Today I ran through the long Bluetooth Troubleshooting doc available from the Bluetooth menu in the car. No dice.

Troubleshooting doc summary:
  • Reboot phone
  • Tell car to forget phone and tell phone to forget Tesla. Repair phone.
  • Reboot MCU.
    IMG_7163.jpg
    IMG_7164.jpg
What else can I do before contacting Tesla Support (which is the last step in that troubleshooting doc)?

Did you press the scroll wheel or display after you dictated your response? You have to press the right scroll wheel another time to send.
When replying watch the lower right window (safety first) for prompts on what to do. If you look at that output in the small lower left window, you will see your message transcribed and then you will see it say, press to send. If you don't press to send, it will just drop the "draft" which may be happening? After sending, you should absolutely see the outgoing message in your iPhone messages app..

Did you press the scroll wheel or display after you dictated your response? You have to press the right scroll wheel another time to send.
When replying watch the lower right window (safety first) for prompts on what to do. If you look at that output in the small lower left window, you will see your message transcribed and then you will see it say, press to send. If you don't press to send, it will just drop the "draft" which may be happening? After sending, you should absolutely see the outgoing message in your iPhone messages app..
Yes, I followed the prompts on the display, and pressed the right wheel again to send. This worked perfectly a few weeks ago.

Yes, I'm using Apple's Messages app.

Any bluetooth issues I have had (other than the fact that sometimes the phone does not automatically pair with the car) have been resolved by the "forget on both sides, and re -pair" process.

I HAVE had issues where, randomly, the phone doesnt automatically re connect with the bluetooth in the car, and I have to touch the bluetooth icon on the screen and select "connect" for my phone. Its random and I havent tried to figure out why sometimes it auto re connects and sometimes it doesnt.

Once connected, I dont have any issues sending or receiving, though. I would recommend checking your phone send settings, and see if turning off imessage or something like that would help you figure out root cause.

Same issue for me,

Multiple topics about this bug, like at
Text Message Replies don’t work

Did the original poster here ever found a solution ?
No, I have not yet solved the problem. I have since updated my iPhone to iOS 14, and there is some chance that the OS update could clean out some cruft on the phone that was causing the issue. I will try again once I am back in the US in a few weeks.

Same issue...1) Receive text messages (from iphone message app), dictate reply. Press correct buttons. Get message "send failed". As above, if I initiate a text it works. Replying does not work. Very annoying.
2) Phone calls on iphone can be answered, but do not come through the audio system. Phone has to be put on speaker, since even though showing "paired" and have repaired, forgotten etc. it does not project audio through the system.

Same issue...1) Receive text messages (from iphone message app), dictate reply. Press correct buttons. Get message "send failed". As above, if I initiate a text it works. Replying does not work. Very annoying.
2) Phone calls on iphone can be answered, but do not come through the audio system. Phone has to be put on speaker, since even though showing "paired" and have repaired, forgotten etc. it does not project audio through the system.

I've had issue 1 with my 2019 SR+ starting in 2021, which I sold last month, and now with my 2021 M3P. Clearly forgetting and unpairing didn't help, since I literally changed the entire car...

I thought I was the only person on the planet with this problem because when I search for troubleshooting threads, it's never this exact issue, "Send Failed," it's some other error message people see.

Same phone, an iPhone X. Issue has been present with iOS 13, iOS 14 and iOS 15.

Hmm as a follow up, I tested with a relative whether or not removing email as an option in iMessage would fix it. It did not!

However, what did resolve the issue, was completely deleting any email addresses associated with that contact in my iPhone contacts.

Despite iMessage being set to NOT use email addresses, it still was trying to do so. Unbelievable.