Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot super charge my antique 2013 S (jan build)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mines is not antique (2015) and I never got the red ring, but I did get the blue ring (with the screen saying "charging stopped") after the blinking blue. After multiple retries which took 3-15 minutes, it'll turn green and start charging. Very annoying while on a road trip. First time I experienced this issue was November 2018.

Check my post further upthread (#29), I also had a few problems that unplugging and replugging did not resolve. Along with not being able to charge in Glen Allen and having to spend 4 hours at the service center to get the charge port swapped, I spent 30 minutes on the phone with Tesla service while at a supercharger on the NJ Turnpike trying to get my car to supercharge the night before. After plugging and replugging several times in multiple stalls as well as resetting and re-powering the car I was put on hold while a tow truck was being set up. While on hold, my car decided it wanted to supercharge. It went from red ring to supercharging after about 5 minutes since the previous re-plug. Not the most encouraging behavior.

I'll add my car to the list showing the red ring on first insertion at a Supercharger. Mine is a Nov 2012 car.

I'll also add that I have managed to have my car charge at every single supercharger I've seen this on a number of my roadtrips over the last month(upwards of 20+ superchargers at different locations), both on my current version of 2018.48.12.1 and the previous version of 2018.46.2.

Lasttoy: It sounds like you are the only one seeing the problem you are describing. Everyone else here, with cars both older and newer than yours, has found that by unplugging and then immediately replugging in the supercharger they can charge. Are you absolutely sure that you can't work around this issue in the same way? --Peter

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Mines is not antique (2015) and I never got the red ring, but I did get the blue ring (with the screen saying "charging stopped") after the blinking blue. After multiple retries which took 3-15 minutes, it'll turn green and start charging. Very annoying while on a road trip. First time I experienced this issue was November 2018.

I had this same thing happen, except I could never get it to start. Tried multiple stalls to no avail and also tried a different location without luck. Still happening for you? Did you get a fix?

I've been back to the supercharger that was giving me a red ring and I can say it is no longer happening. This was at the Downey location near the 5 frwy on Lakewood Blvd.

From what I could gather from my recent road trip is that it's not location or stall based, it has to do with the car. Superchargers we stopped at and had trouble with on the way down to FL were fine on the way back up and vice versa. Sometimes it took multiple re-plugs, others went straight to charging on the first try. Maybe newer stations are more prone to problems for old cars, but honestly, I couldn't see any sort of a pattern. We probably supercharged 20 times on that trip and the results were all over the place.

Same issue here as everyone else. 2013 P85+. Getting red ring as soon as I plug into supercharger. Version 2018.48.12.1. Tesla mobile service is coming with a new charge port in a couple weeks. Sounds like this is more a software issue though. Should I bother with the charge port replacement? It's covered under warranty still.

2013 Model S 85
In December I updated the software in the car on 12/20/18 and left for a 4,000 mile trip on the 21st. I had the red ring problem at every charge stop (did not have the problem prior to sw update). What I had to do the entire trip was once I got the red ring, I’d pull the charge cable out, put it back in and apply pressure down on the handle. Sometimes it took a few tries but it would charge after doing this. I know this problem is related to the latest software update. Let me tell you, sure made me nervous at each stop...

Also note, I did not have a problem with my mobile charger on trip, so I know this is a communication problem at Superchargers

You have a December 2013 car? Then it sounds like it's not a early 2013-2012 issue. I have a December P that does not have errors.

Tesla charged my car at the Rivera Beach FL superchargers next to the service center (original location, not the new superchargers that recently opened nearby) without issue on January 14. Those superchargers have been there for a couple of years. Car charged without issue.

I charged at St. Augustine FL on January 12 without issue and those superchargers have been there for years.

Also, I do NOT think the issue is related to v9 being installed on our “old” cars because I have NOT installed v9 on my car. I am still running v8.1 (2018.34) on my car. As I indicated above, Tesla service said the issue was with respect to a recent firmware upload to the superchargers and that the bug was being addressed with an update of the supercharger firmware.

Thank you, so do we have an update from Tesla on when the older Supercharger sites will get the new firmware version (you can reach them at [email protected])?

I’m on V8.1 (2018.34) and have had issues, so I highly doubt it’s related to the V9 software in the cars. Tesla in Florida told me it was an issue with updated software loaded into the superchargers and that revised supercharger software was in the process of being uploaded to the superchargers to correct the issue. I have only used 2 superchargers since then, but both locations (one a new supercharger site and one an old supercharger site) operated without problems.