Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot Take Early Delivery. Seller says I can only defer once otherwise it will be cancelled.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I booked a Model S in August 2021 with a delivery date for March - April 2022. It was working perfectly for me as I was closing a house in December, and didn't want two major mortgages. The delivery date came early (end of Dec) and I told my Tesla dealer that I cannot take it now (not until mid-Feb atleast). I saw on my app that my Delivery is on hold and I have until Jan 15 to reschedule my delivery. When inquired about what happens after Jan 15. My dealer responded with -
"The process is this - within the 6 months of your order (Aug 2021) and we provide you a car allocation - you can defer once but you'll need to take delivery of the next one otherwise there's a possibility of your order being cancelled."

1. What does it mean that the delivery is on hold till Jan 15?
2. How did they randomly generate the Jan 15 date?
3. Can they really cancel my order if I am unable to take delivery by this arbitrary Jan 15 date that they have set? Or is the dealer bluffing.

Thanks

1. What does it mean that the delivery is on hold till Jan 15?
That means they delay your reservation cancelation until that date.
2. How did they randomly generate the Jan 15 date?
The delivery date has been historically unpredictable due to many factors. Pandemic is another factor to figure it out so the accuracy of delivery date gets worse, not better.

I guess they consider all factors that can influence the delivery date.
3. Can they really cancel my order if I am unable to take delivery by this arbitrary Jan 15 date that they have set?
Yes.
Or is the dealer bluffing.
It's only bluffing if there are not enough demands and the cars are filled up the parking lots with no takers.

Their goal is to get the delivery numbers as quickly as possible so if they need to move on to the next reservation holder, they would without any hesitation.

Tesla is cracking down on large numbers of 3/Y orders endlessly deferring deliveries to try and game the possible return of the federal tax credit. Your seemingly reasonable request and situation is getting caught up in the mess.

In your case, with a relatively recent order, I don’t think they’ll actually cancel it unless you run up against the end of the next quarter (March 31).