Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot unlock charge port inside the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All.

Software 2018.32.2

Had this problem since I got the car 3 weeks ago (with .26 and .28 software), once charging is complete, I cannot unlock the charge port from inside the car. Note, I attempt this from in the car first because connecting the app to the car seems to hit and miss.

Actions:
  • Walk up to car, car is locked, open driver door, car unlocks.
  • "Charging Complete" screen is active. Press the "Unlock Charge Port" button, nothing happens. Press it 20 times in frustration, nothing happens.
  • Get out car, open app. Goto charging section, hit unlock charge, CLICK!
Am I doing it wrong?
IMG_5262.JPG

Isn’t the Unlock Charge Port for opening the charge port door? The door is already open. Then you hit the button on the charge port connector to release the connector?
No, you have an Open button that appears where is says "close" but is greyed out on the picture of the car on the far left where the green circle indicates that the car is charging. Unlock can (supposed to at least) happen via the car as shown here, the app on the phone, or you can push the button on the charge adapter if the car is unlocked.

Reactions: jdcollins5
I've had the same thing happen to me. I think it's just a weird bug, and decided that I'll just use the app when necessary. I've also had my J1722 adapter get stuck in the charge port because you're supposed to pull it out with the charge handle after pressing (and releasing) the unlock trigger (button?).

Open / Close are different to Lock/Unlock. You can see the Close option on the left hand side (I can't hit that button its disabled).

What button are you talking about on the chart port connector?

From page 113 of the owner’s manual:

To disconnect the charge cable:
1. Press and hold the button on a Tesla connector to release the latch. You can also touch Stop Charging on the charging screen (see Charging Status and Settings on page 114).
2. Pull the connector from the charge port.

I tried to post a picture but for some reason I could not. The button is right on the end of the gray(chrome) piece on the connector, just before it goes in the charge port hole.