TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cannot unlock charge port inside the car

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by miltymoots, Aug 27, 2018.

1. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

Hi All.

Software 2018.32.2

Had this problem since I got the car 3 weeks ago (with .26 and .28 software), once charging is complete, I cannot unlock the charge port from inside the car. Note, I attempt this from in the car first because connecting the app to the car seems to hit and miss.

Actions:
    • Walk up to car, car is locked, open driver door, car unlocks.
    • "Charging Complete" screen is active. Press the "Unlock Charge Port" button, nothing happens. Press it 20 times in frustration, nothing happens.
    • Get out car, open app. Goto charging section, hit unlock charge, CLICK!
    Am I doing it wrong?
    IMG_5262.JPG

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

Isn’t the Unlock Charge Port for opening the charge port door? The door is already open. Then you hit the button on the charge port connector to release the connector?

3. NetBrowned

NetBrowned Member

No, you have an Open button that appears where is says "close" but is greyed out on the picture of the car on the far left where the green circle indicates that the car is charging. Unlock can (supposed to at least) happen via the car as shown here, the app on the phone, or you can push the button on the charge adapter if the car is unlocked.

• Like x 1
  4. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

Open / Close are different to Lock/Unlock. You can see the Close option on the left hand side (I can't hit that button its disabled).

What button are you talking about on the chart port connector?

5. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

I thought the behavior was as soon as you unlock the car, the charge port is unlocked also?

6. miltymoots

miltymoots Member

Not in my experience... the "T" is green, but I can't pull the cable out, even with the car unlocked. I realized now there is a button on the charger - thats good for home, at work though, same issue - but no button on their charger cables.

• Informative x 1
  7. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I've had the same thing happen to me. I think it's just a weird bug, and decided that I'll just use the app when necessary. I've also had my J1722 adapter get stuck in the charge port because you're supposed to pull it out with the charge handle after pressing (and releasing) the unlock trigger (button?).

8. Need

Need Active Member

There should be a trigger button on the connector handle on public chargers, but you have to hold that button until the light goes white and then you pull the J1772 adapter out.

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

From page 113 of the owner’s manual:

To disconnect the charge cable:
    1. Press and hold the button on a Tesla connector to release the latch. You can also touch Stop Charging on the charging screen (see Charging Status and Settings on page 114).
    2. Pull the connector from the charge port.

I tried to post a picture but for some reason I could not. The button is right on the end of the gray(chrome) piece on the connector, just before it goes in the charge port hole.

10. NetBrowned

NetBrowned Member

Nope, it's a sperate function I found out.

You can use the button on the Tesla branded chargers to open the charge door as well as to unlock the charge connector (if the car is unlocked) but when the car is unlocked mine stays firmly locked into the car at home.

• Informative x 1