Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot Update to new Software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I have a 2020 Model 3 Performance. It says I have an update available and connect to WiFi. I’m already connected to WiFi and download won’t start. I have tried the WiFi at my work and home. Never had issues previously.

Another post recommended turning car off from touch screen. Letting sit for 5 minutes then doing 2 power cycles. Did that and still won’t download. Anyone else having this issue and found a fix?

Have you checked internet connectivity while it says you are connected via wifi? IE, bring up the browser and see if you can hit the internet, even going to something like "whatismyip.org" and clicking on your ip at the top of the page to verify you are using wifi.

Had issues downloading it last night, would start then stop. Got frustrated and went to bed. I did the reboot method mentioned above this morning and that got things moving. But the the download got to 50% then just went away. Checked my router and the car is connected to wifi with a strong signal. So I go out to the garage and check the screen, nothing showing as a download. Checked under software and am still on 2020.4.1 and it says I am up to date? Sounds like it got recalled?

Same thing happened to me. My Model 3 was on wifi but wouldn't download. I went through the whole reboot process and nothing changed. When I woke up this morning the message about a pending software update was gone. The car has not updated but is no longer showing an update pending so possibly the release was recalled?

Model 3 LR AWD: got in the car this morning and there was a prompt on the screen to install the update (20.8.1). Started it after I got to work. Haven't been back to the car yet but app now says 20.8.1

I am currently trying to download 2020.8.3. it says it's downloading but it never finishes. tried 2 hours yesterday and trying again now.
Go on your web browser on the screen and go to Speedtest.net and run a test, download speed should read Around 30 to 50mbs and upload speeds about the same. If you have this working then go to your Tesla phone app and go to Schedule Service and then select Software, tell them what you are going through, they will be able to send it another update. Give that a try.

Fred

Reactions: puckpurnell
I'd like to know what it's even downloading. My last 7 days says it's downloaded 16.1GB, and uploaded 1.5GB, but haven't received an update. Maps have been up to date since I got the HW upgrade back in early March. I've rebooted and nothing. I'm on 2020.12.5.

Looked at the last month and the data is 67.2GB downloaded and 7.1GB uploaded.

I'd like to know what it's even downloading. My last 7 days says it's downloaded 16.1GB, and uploaded 1.5GB, but haven't received an update. Maps have been up to date since I got the HW upgrade back in early March. I've rebooted and nothing. I'm on 2020.12.5.

Looked at the last month and the data is 67.2GB downloaded and 7.1GB uploaded.
Same here. Yesterday it downloaded 5.6GB but no software update. I was thinking maps but are map updates usually this large?

Make sure that you are connected at 2.4 GHz and not 5.0 GHz. The high tech car wants the lower frequency...
No it doesn't; 5 GHz is fine. What the car does seem to want is a minimum signal strength to start a download, especially for map updates; two bars or less can be a problem according to my experience. The cars favor 5 GHz connections over 2.4, and with 5 GHz not propagating as well you can end up with the car latching on to a weak 5 GHz signal and not starting the download. I solved that by adding an access point in my garage, but I know that isn't an option available to most people.

I now use 5 GHz since it’s a lot faster download, again, open up your car web browser and enter Speedtest.net, run a test on 2.4 and then 5 ghz., 5ghz will net you 30mbs to 50mbs speeds. 2.4GHz will help more if you are further down the street as it can go much easier through walls etc.

A ranger tech once told someone to use only 2.4ghz, he was wrong as 5ghz works fine or even better.

Fred