Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cannot use autopilot for more than 15-30 minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that AP requires more steering wheel input to remain engaged than simply driving down the road manually, at least on interstates. One of many reasons I find it to be essentially useless. Mine also shuts off for the duration of the trip when I correct it when it tries to lurch to the right when there is a merging lane and the car tries to center itself on the lane-and-a-half wide road markings.
Yep.

I find that AP requires more steering wheel input to remain engaged than simply driving down the road manually, at least on interstates. One of many reasons I find it to be essentially useless. Mine also shuts off for the duration of the trip when I correct it when it tries to lurch to the right when there is a merging lane and the car tries to center itself on the lane-and-a-half wide road markings.
User error. Simply disengage and re engage in those situations. It is way easier and stress free to disengage with the right stalk than force the steering wheel to disengage.
Lane keeping = keep the car in the center between the two lane markings, and Tesla and all other cars do the same thing to center themselves in between the lane markings.

User error. Simply disengage and re engage in those situations. It is way easier and stress free to disengage with the right stalk than force the steering wheel to disengage.
Lane keeping = keep the car in the center between the two lane markings, and Tesla and all other cars do the same thing to center themselves in between the lane markings.
Well, having had more than 10 cars with lane keeping assist, I can tell you definitively that Teslas and other cars do not all “do the same thing.”

I do not have the problem that the prior poster had with disengagement’s for the rest of the drive, but when you are driving and need to avoid some thing, you are going to turn the wheel and not move your hand to disengage with the stalk.

The prior poster is absolutely correct that on a fairly straight road there is more input needed into the wheel with auto steer on than with it off. This is just a fact.

Well, having had more than 10 cars with lane keeping assist, I can tell you definitively that Teslas and other cars do not all “do the same thing.”

I do not have the problem that the prior poster had with disengagement’s for the rest of the drive, but when you are driving and need to avoid some thing, you are going to turn the wheel and not move your hand to disengage with the stalk.

The prior poster is absolutely correct that on a fairly straight road there is more input needed into the wheel with auto steer on than with it off. This is just a fact.
I'm not sure what car you are referring to anymore.
I don't need to input anything when I am using the AP on highway except the usual "apply slight turning force to the steering wheel" thing.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
It’s not very “auto “ if you have to keep turning it on and off, much easier to just drive. Since it allegedly has the smarts to know about merging lanes it could choose to stick with the left lane marker in that situation. According to the visualization it can see the lane narrowing in the immediate future, so it could easily choose not to jerk you around. It certainly shouldn’t penalize you by shutting down for the trip for making a sensible choice.

Reactions: nate704
As other have pointed out, there needs to be some mild torque on the wheel. Let one hand or the other hang on the side of the wheel and it should eliminate nags and disengagements.

While we consider these nags to be irritating and unnecessary as conscientious drivers, ratings “authorities” like Consumer Reports consider them the only and primary quality metric for driving assist. They dinged Tesla down to a mediocre rating for driver assist function recently for having such a long window (up to 30 seconds) before you get nagged (compared to other manufacturers). Despite the fact that Tesla has by far the most advanced driver assist of any commercially available vehicle in North America.

Reactions: nate704
Yeah, if I was getting nagged in under 30 seconds... I'd take the car to the machinegun festival in Nevada / Arizona and destroy it (while recording it for You Tube).
LOL! :) I actually was feeling exactly like that, literally the most annoying thing I've ever experienced, lucky for tesla, it was saved by cheating device

I can confirm that other brands have no issues like tesla, their "autopilots" are much more pleasant to use, I don't feel that I fight them and can focus on road situation and not monitor closely alerts from the system.
I'm comparing to: Toyotas (safety sense 2.5 and 3.0), Lexus, VW, Audi, Mercedes - all have more pleasant experience. At some things tesla is better (cornering precision and speed, driving in traffic) but in many other those systems are superior - like you don't need to disable and re-enable autopilot when changing lanes, and no nags if you just hold steering wheel normally.

I've got a lot of reply and looks like many people don't have issues, so maybe it's personal, maybe due to position how you sit and hold a wheel.
I would definitely recommend anyone considering tesla to test drive one for at least 30-40 minutes using autopilot and not just to rely that it'll be great tech.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
I was driving about 5 different cars from 4 different automakers this way (by resting hand on a wheel) and only tesla had issues
I would rephrase this differently - only YOU had issues with Tesla's way of implementing "hands on wheel" monitoring. Most people on this forum don't have problems, so it means that it didn't work for you for some reason. Problem not in the car, problem in the user. No offense.

I would rephrase this differently - only YOU had issues with Tesla's way of implementing "hands on wheel" monitoring. Most people on this forum don't have problems, so it means that it didn't work for you for some reason. Problem not in the car, problem in the user. No offense.
Not sure how you can say "most" don't have any problems. Most don't even know if they should consider it a problem.

Last edited:
Problem not in the car, problem in the user. No offense
That's just not true, first of all, yeah:
Most don't even know if they should consider it a problem.
Second, there are a lot of problems reported by people:

Most of people complains that they were banned from FSD or autopilot during normal driving while holding steering wheel and having eyes on the road.

I'm probably way too loud than average user though as I grow very dependent on those helpers and cannot imagine driving without aid, probably 90-95% of distance driven are done with assistance, helping me big deal not being tired on long distances and making drive much safer - as I have more energy and focus during drive and can focus on reading road situation instead of spending focus on maintaining speed and keeping in center of the lane.

I imagine most people barely use those aids and thus won't notice any issues in tesla. I still hear from people that they disable all "driving nannies" and complain that car tries to keep them in lane or alert if they change lanes without blinkers etc.

You can thank the NHTSA via Biden's pick , the nagging has only gotten worse.
Yeah, I bet silly regulations are partly to blame, but I think also Tesla is overreacting, i.e. the force to make autopilot to notice your input on wheel is about 5-10 time stronger on Tesla than on most of other brands. Someone stated that Tesla got bad rating as it allowed to drive 30 seconds without touching a wheel - it could easily be 7-20 seconds if:
1) It detect light touch and not require direction changing jiggling or apply significant downforce
2) If it would've did audio signal (it does but when it's too late)
3) If it wouldn't block me for the rest of the tip for not jerking a wheel mid turn due to blue light flashing

Tesla is WAY too aggressive with that apparently not winning any scores.

Last edited:
Yeah, I bet silly regulations are partly to blame, but I think also Tesla is overreacting, i.e. the force to make autopilot to notice your input on wheel is about 5-10 time stronger on Tesla than on most of other brands. Someone stated that Tesla got bad rating as it allowed to drive 30 seconds without touching a wheel - it could easily be 7-20 seconds if:
1) It detect light touch and not require direction changing jiggling or apply significant downforce
3) If it wouldn't block me for the rest of the tip for not jerking a wheel mid turn due to blue light flashing

Thats because the pick at NHTSA hates Tesla and Musk....My prius prime adaptive cruise never nudges. Also newer toyotas have lane centering and AP it adaptive cruise control with lane centering pretty much

Actually, the FSDb scared the crap out of me on the way home today… going around a sloping turn on the highway it abruptly drove over the outside yellow line. To the point it startled me and I had to jerk the steering wheel…

…so, still plenty of bugs.

That's just not true, first of all, yeah:

Second, there are a lot of problems reported by people:

Most of people complains that they were banned from FSD or autopilot during normal driving while holding steering wheel and having eyes on the road.

I'm probably way too loud than average user though as I grow very dependent on those helpers and cannot imagine driving without aid, probably 90-95% of distance driven are done with assistance, helping me big deal not being tired on long distances and making drive much safer - as I have more energy and focus during drive and can focus on reading road situation instead of spending focus on maintaining speed and keeping in center of the lane.

I imagine most people barely use those aids and thus won't notice any issues in tesla. I still hear from people that they disable all "driving nannies" and complain that car tries to keep them in lane or alert if they change lanes without blinkers etc.
Those links contain maybe 20 or less people complaining including yourself, which makes very few out of millions of other Tesla owners.

Reactions: Yelobird
I'm resting my hand on steering wheel, applying downward pressure. I've driven like that 75,000km (~40,000 miles) in toyotas corolla and then Rav4 with no issues whatsoever.

Moreover - it looks like it flashes blue light more often than people here suggests - each 15-30 seconds. I need not only rest my hand but make noticeable steering input.

Many cars use a capacitive-touch steering wheel, which works like a touchscreen, to detect your hand/fingers. My Mazda had this.

Teslas rely on detecting torque applied to the steering wheel, and there is definitely a learning curve to determine the right amount of pressure needed to eliminate the nag without disengaging AP.

Hello,

I'm considering buying Tesla Model Y and rented one for a week. It's a new model - end of 2022, EU, with interior camera.

I'm having a problem with autopilot - it just doesn't work long enough and constantly ending with message like "Autopilot has been disabled for the rest of the trip"

I'm keeping my hands on steering wheel all the time, I'm not wearing hat, doesn't have sunglasses

It shutting down autopilot with 2 circumstances from what I've noticed:

1) By flashing blue light and then beeping it seems once and then just it - autopilot is disabled. It happened in following circumstances:
- I'm driving some difficult curve, watching traffic and/or holding steering wheel so ready to intervene within milliseconds - then I don't have time to look at display and can legitimately miss blue flashing and when it starts to beep I may not be able immediately to jiggle strong enough (like I'm mid turn) so it'll notice it .
- I'm driving on the road where autopilot makes minor correction left and right, blue light is flashing, I'm jiggling the wheel but it looks like I'm doing it into the same direction as autopilot correction so it doesn't notice that, eventually it sees my intervention but too late - I'm blocked.

Often it's combination of both.

2) Different scenario - I'm driving on straight highway for about 15-20 minutes where nothing much happened - driving straight with stable speed, then out of the blue it just start screaming and flashing red that I need to immediately hold steering wheel (I'm holding it all the time so had to jiggle it strongly).

Just to clarify - I'm holding steering wheel all the time, looking straight to the road (mostly, had to look downwards a lot to see if it's flashing blue), not using my phone, not wearing sunglasses etc.

I'm actually quite disappointed in autopilot - it works really great but had to get a stop each 15-30 minutes to restart it, while my current vehicle - 2020 Toyota Rav 4 seems far superior - can drive on a highway for hours with me just resting a hand on a steering wheel, I barely got any requirements to jiggle. However it doesn't handle windy road that well as tesla (but at the other hand no need to restart)

Wondering, if it's rental car I have is defective?

Or is it just how autopilot works, and if so - how do you manage it, i.e. do you just drive without autopilot or keep stopping and restarting a whole car each 15-30 minutes?
I regularly use autopilot on long highway trips in USA, no issues. never had continuous disengagements as you describe.

Hello,

I'm considering buying Tesla Model Y and rented one for a week. It's a new model - end of 2022, EU, with interior camera.

I'm having a problem with autopilot - it just doesn't work long enough and constantly ending with message like "Autopilot has been disabled for the rest of the trip"

I'm keeping my hands on steering wheel all the time, I'm not wearing hat, doesn't have sunglasses

It shutting down autopilot with 2 circumstances from what I've noticed:

1) By flashing blue light and then beeping it seems once and then just it - autopilot is disabled. It happened in following circumstances:
- I'm driving some difficult curve, watching traffic and/or holding steering wheel so ready to intervene within milliseconds - then I don't have time to look at display and can legitimately miss blue flashing and when it starts to beep I may not be able immediately to jiggle strong enough (like I'm mid turn) so it'll notice it .
- I'm driving on the road where autopilot makes minor correction left and right, blue light is flashing, I'm jiggling the wheel but it looks like I'm doing it into the same direction as autopilot correction so it doesn't notice that, eventually it sees my intervention but too late - I'm blocked.

Often it's combination of both.

2) Different scenario - I'm driving on straight highway for about 15-20 minutes where nothing much happened - driving straight with stable speed, then out of the blue it just start screaming and flashing red that I need to immediately hold steering wheel (I'm holding it all the time so had to jiggle it strongly).

Just to clarify - I'm holding steering wheel all the time, looking straight to the road (mostly, had to look downwards a lot to see if it's flashing blue), not using my phone, not wearing sunglasses etc.

I'm actually quite disappointed in autopilot - it works really great but had to get a stop each 15-30 minutes to restart it, while my current vehicle - 2020 Toyota Rav 4 seems far superior - can drive on a highway for hours with me just resting a hand on a steering wheel, I barely got any requirements to jiggle. However it doesn't handle windy road that well as tesla (but at the other hand no need to restart)

Wondering, if it's rental car I have is defective?

Or is it just how autopilot works, and if so - how do you manage it, i.e. do you just drive without autopilot or keep stopping and restarting a whole car each 15-30 minutes?
I have a new 2023 MYP and I have the same experience as you do. Haha on American freeways that do have painted lanes but prob not as good as your roads. The conditions are almost perfect for me and I AM paying Attention and hands are active on the wheel!
So having said that I get blued and canceled after a few minutes all the time. I love the car but its AP is crap. I think they have made it too restrictive due to lawsuits and lobbying from competitors to gvt.
BTW the magnet bipass no longer works on 2023 models.
I didnt buy for the AP but the base one is crapola!