Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Canoe on the roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wondering: With the all-glass roof, are their load limits for what you can attach? I've seen the vacuum cup bike rack for the roof, but that is not sufficient for the weight of a canoe. A friend of mine had simple foam pieces that we'd put on 4 corners of the canoe and attach to the roof with straps to either end of their car and through the rear window. Is this a possibility with a model 3? I thought I had come across something with the Model S only allowing roof racks for the sunroof version of the car (which is not an option for the model 3). Has anyone tried hauling a canoe on their roof? Who would you ask for an official word? I have found (and fear) that many tesla store employees just offer their opinion instead of knowledge of the car/company.

You might want to consider a lighter canoe however you attach it. Having paddled the Boundary Waters, where you get to carry your canoe often, I can tell you that weights vary considerably. A cheap aluminum canoe can weigh more than twice as much as a nice kevlar canoe. The latter will also paddle a lot better.