TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can't access car away from home

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ai4px, Jul 18, 2018.

1. ai4px

ai4px Member

My car is hooked to my wifi, so when it's in the garage, I can access it. But when it is riding down the interstate, parked at work, etc.... the app can't talk to the car at all. But the data connection is working because we have nav and slacker radio. Any pointers?

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I assume your phone is working normally? Because unless you are using BT the app is always talking to the Tesla servers and so is the car.

You can never get a car status from the app unless you are virtually in the car?

I assume this is iOS. Have you checked the settings for the app under ‘Settings’? I thought it would complain if this was turned off, but for example there is one for Cellular Data. If the app can’t use non-wifi it won’t work away from home.

Etc.

3. ai4px

ai4px Member

We have two cars on my account... our’s and my mother’s tesla.... I can get to her car no matter where it is. I cannot access my car. Tesla just attached it to my account yesterday. I’m pretty darned sure I’m out of bluetooth range here in the house. My phone nor my wife’s phone can access our car and both are able to contact the other MS... so I’m pretty sure it’s not a bluetooth thing, or an IOS Tesla app has access to cellular data thing.

I think I’ll go reboot the radio and see what that does..... grasping here....

4. ai4px

ai4px Member

I just rebooted the head unit and disabled wifi so I would force it to cell data.... it worked. So I walked way across the back yard to make darned sure I was out of bluetooth range and also could access the car via cell data. I’ll double check again tomorrow.... but I think rebooting the head unit solved this.

5. ai4px

ai4px Member

My wife is driving the car to work at this moment and I can get to it from my phone. So it seems for whatever reason, after Tesla flipped the car to my account I had to reboot the head unit to make it let me in via cellular data, but wifi worked properly from the first moment. Well, maybe this thread will help the next guy.....