Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't believe they dropped Silver...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm....

Isn't making the "economics better" a "financial" reason?

Wow, it is so nice to have everything parsed and analyzed. I appreciate it! Not really. Let me spell it out. My new job, should I take it, requires a move to a more rural community which has gravel roads and only requires me to drive 5-10 miles a day. Would you say that the Tesla Model S or even X makes sense in this scenario? How long would it take for me to recoup my phantom gas savings of $10,000 that Tesla says I will save? Let's be clear, not that it is anyones business, if the Tesla was suitable at this point for me, it would be in my driveway. I still stand by what I said...One should not have to compromise on the color silver. Some people are way too protective of Tesla against constructive criticism/personal opinion.

Thanks Bonnie. I am still trying to wrap my hands around this evolving tech. Not sure that we can call it new since some of the first motor transports were EV's. That being said, I put a lot of trust, faith and confidence in this company to change the world. Starting from the dealerships to the manufacturing to the re-energizing through the SuperCharging program. That is why such simple things like eliminating a basic color, moving an option like lift-gate to a premium package, advertising greatly exaggerated "gas savings", masking doc fee's in the fine print, etc, really do fight the image that Tesla is trying to overcome. And to stay relevant to the topic, not having silver is an absolute killer. I am now driving a white car and can't stand the color. First and last. My 2013 Passat TDI SEL that I traded it in for was silver, my Honda was silver, my Saab was a kind of silver. Like I said, this type of compromise should not be required and I sure hope they will change their tune, especially when the X start production. Thanks...

I do not have any deposit like you.

But I love silver color. Mine is silver too. I am kind of disappointed that Tesla dropped silver color.

And I agree with you 100% on every other thing you mentioned about Tesla. Don't get me wrong I am a hard core fan of Tesla

Silver was always going to be my next color. Unless they bring it back, I can say there will be no Tesla in my future :(

Please don't flame me, but as someone who is waiting to pull the plug, for numerous reasons of which none are financial, I am starting to get concerned and a little turned off about how quickly things are changing. It should not be a crap shoot to know that what the packages contained last month should be the same today. Same with pricing. It just seems to volatile and that will scare some people away. I really do wish Tesla well though.

Yes, the last few weeks have been a little unsettling, but it just makes me want to step back and let the dust settle, not "pull the plug" (by the way, is that a pun?). Given all the churn, it seems prudent to at least wait until after the big April 30 reveal before signing on the dotted line...unless the perfect inventory car happens to become available.

I would guess silver will be back before long.
Over here the most poular colours on premium/luxury cars, be it privately owned or company cars, are black and silver. Not offering silver (and by that I mean silver, not "Titanium", which is more gold/beige than silver) in that market is just a very bad move, unless they want to sell even less cars over here than they are doing already.

I would guess silver will be back before long.
Over here the most poular colours on premium/luxury cars, be it privately owned or company cars, are black and silver. Not offering silver (and by that I mean silver, not "Titanium", which is more gold/beige than silver) in that market is just a very bad move, unless they want to sell even less cars over here than they are doing already.

Absolutely agreed. And now that they have renamed "Warm Silver" back to "Titanium Metallic", there is no potential confusion over two colors with silver in the name. Please bring back Starlight Silver, it is a gorgeous color and a notably absent option. I was in the Porsche dealership yesterday, and half the cars were silver, and they looked great...and the "for display purposes only" J1772 pedestal for the completely absent 918 hybrid was hysterical.

Interesting, as silver is the first color I ruled out when deciding on my P85. It seems to be the default color for so many euro sedans (like white for pickup trucks) that I had no interest in it. Why blend in? I am still surprised they dropped it as so many people seem to like it.

I too can't believe they dropped silver. Silver with a tan interior was going to be my choice but there are no other exterior colors that I find appealing so I am pretty much screwed in the exterior color depart,department. The new "Titanium" is more of a champagne beige from the 90s. Not only did they drop silver but there is no medium to light gray either. The Mercedes S class we were considering has about 4 versions of silver and gray. I hope at least one viable silver or medium gray is available for the Model S.

It's a really disappointing and puzzling development. Tesla is probably the only car manufacturer in existence that is not offering silver as an exterior color. I honestly don't know what color there is for me to pick as what they are calling midnight silver is basically a dark blue/gray black.

My buddy Ryan with a new 85D is raving about Sport Mode, and has me back in the Design Studio considering an upgrade. But I doubt I'll pull the trigger, because Starlight Silver was always the one color I would go with, if I ever had to replace Sequoia Green.

I'm sure Tesla dropped silver for 2 reason. 1 it's ordinary and not a standout colour, and 2, it's not that popular with Tesla owners.
Where I live, a region with a very high number of Teslas such that I typically see a dozen on an one hour drive, the old silver color is more popular than the old gray, green, brown, dark blue, and even the multi-coat red. Only black and white beats it.

I'm sure Tesla dropped silver for 2 reason. 1 it's ordinary and not a standout colour, and 2, it's not that popular with Tesla owners.

Silver is a very popular premium car color in the Northeast and they will have a bunch of unhappy customers who will be shocked to find out when they try to place an order that Tesla is the only car manufacturer on earth who does not offer silver or a light gray as an exterior color choice.

They dropped brown because it was not selling well and then they came out with brownie silver (aka warm silver or "Titanium") so if they can make brown look good I am sure they can improve on the silver they used to have and come out with a nice silver or at the least a light to medium gray. The lack of silver is extremely disappointing especially now that they have also removed the lighter gray option.

Silver is certainly popular in DFW. Yes, it's not standout like Red or Pearl, but it gets lots of complements. My hope is that this is just a temporary hiatus until the new paint facility comes online.

Well if they want to entice the Euro-luxury car owners away from ICE technology they better bring back silver because that seems to be the preferred color of those cars.

We fall in that category. We love how silver or a medium gray looks and how easy those colors are to maintain. After I once owned a black car I promised myself I will never own another car with a dark exterior color as the only time my black car looked clean was the half an hour after it was just washed. It showed every single spec of dust.

I seriously can't understand why they can't come out with a silver or light gray with extra depth and dimension.

There were over 300 EVs at a gathering in Montreal yesterday. About 30% were Tesla. When video of the parade is released, Silver will likely be the winner, though they were also a lot of Red and White.

I am sure something close to the original Silver will be offered in the future. For now, it's like a sports franchise that changes jerseys frequently to boost merchandise sales.

I can't count the times I've seen a silver S on the road and texted LoL Rick to see if it was him. Not once has it been him. Silver is pretty popular around here. I don't understand why Tesla would discontinue one of the most popular colors. I can't be certain but I'm pretty sure every car manufacturer offers silver.

I agree that it seems like a weird move to drop the silver color. Personally I'm not much into silver because all cars here are silver. Especially nice cars like mercs and beemers are all silver here. I prefer more intense colours like the Bmw estoril-blue.

I still think they should have kept it because many people really like it.

I agree that it seems like a weird move to drop the silver color. Personally I'm not much into silver because all cars here are silver. Especially nice cars like mercs and beemers are all silver here.

I think many people who buy premium price cars don't like to stick out of the crowd.
Hardly a better way to blend in than with black or silver. Plus, as many have pointed out before, silver/light grey is one of the easiest colours to maintain. I can attest to that ;-)