Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't believe they dropped Silver...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my neighborhood there are 3 Teslas--two white and one silver (mine). I really like the silver. I think it goes well with all the chrome on the car and the HOV stickers are not as apparent.

In my neighborhood there are 3 Teslas--two white and one silver (mine). I really like the silver. I think it goes well with all the chrome on the car and the HOV stickers are not as apparent.
And that is in part why my spouse strongly favored silver over the old grey, the chrome door handles blended in with the paint better. I liked silver because ours is parked in our carport and silver is easier to keep clean.

Last edited:
The problem with them dropping silver is that for those who love silver as their exterior color of choice there is really no other viable option for them to choose.

Pearl White is the closest option I have but I don't really want a white car.

They should be able to easily "improve" the silver they offered and make it more compelling. It is a top color choice for just about every other premium car available to buy. I find the color to be understated, easy to maintain, and it has a nice elegance tat goes well with the lines of the Model S.

Seriously if they can make brown or beige look so good with the color they are calling "Titanium," surely they can come out with a nice shade of silver or light metallic gray...

Also I'd just like to repeat that I have to believe dark color cars are not very energy efficient in the summer sun... I'd be interested in testing that hypothesis: We could park two cars on a sunny day and run the AC until the interiors were the same temp and then see how long it takes to return to a certain temp...

That work has already been done, albeit with Honda Civics, side-by-side in Sacramento sun, revealing that a silver car will be 9º to 11ºF cooler than an identical model black car.

Silver and white cars are cooler, says study

I hoping they come out with a nice shade of silver or medium gray before the Model X is announced. I can't imagine them not offering the Model X in a silver color and only offering the car in a gold champagne 90s beige if someone wants a lighter metallic color.

That work has already been done, albeit with Honda Civics, side-by-side in Sacramento sun, revealing that a silver car will be 9º to 11ºF cooler than an identical model black car.

Silver and white cars are cooler, says study

I would amend this to say that the amount of window space vs roof space makes a difference as to the impact of color on interior temperature. In the case of Model S with Pano roof, there would probably very slight difference even between white and black cars; only oblique radiation on painted areas of two doors if parked facing east or west.

I would amend this to say that the amount of window space vs roof space makes a difference as to the impact of color on interior temperature. In the case of Model S with Pano roof, there would probably very slight difference even between white and black cars; only oblique radiation on painted areas of two doors if parked facing east or west.

The pano roof makes little if any difference, it's the rest of the glass that is not as heat protected.

MsElectric said:
I too can't believe they dropped silver. Silver with a tan interior was going to be my choice but there are no other exterior colors that I find appealing so I am pretty much screwed in the exterior color depart,department. The new "Titanium" is more of a champagne beige from the 90s. Not only did they drop silver but there is no medium to light gray either. The Mercedes S class we were considering has about 4 versions of silver and gray. I hope at least one viable silver or medium gray is available for the Model S.

It's a really disappointing and puzzling development. Tesla is probably the only car manufacturer in existence that is not offering silver as an exterior color. I honestly don't know what color there is for me to pick as what they are calling midnight silver is basically a dark blue/gray black.

MsElectric said:
Silver is a very popular premium car color in the Northeast and they will have a bunch of unhappy customers who will be shocked to find out when they try to place an order that Tesla is the only car manufacturer on earth who does not offer silver or a light gray as an exterior color choice.

The lack of silver is extremely disappointing especially now that they have also removed the lighter gray option.

MsElectric said:
I seriously can't understand why they can't come out with a silver or light gray with extra depth and dimension.

MsElectric said:
The other car we were considering is a Mercedes S class and it is offered not with 1 but FOUR versions of silver or light gray. Silver and light/medium gary are very popular colors for vehicles in this segment. If they can come out with a color called "Titanium" for people who like brown I don't understand how they can not have a color for people who like silver or a light gray.

MsElectric said:
I mean seriously, how can they drop silver and not even have a light gray to replace it with?

Do you see now why a bunch of us are so upset over this... Mercedes offers 4 shades of silver for the S class and the Model S offers no silver or even a gray color option.

MsElectric said:
I still can't believe they removed silver and gray. If they can make brown look better by calling it Titanium they should be able to do something nice with silver...
Of all the colors how could they drop silver when they resurrected brown and decided to call it Titanium? :)

Nope, not happy at all that they dropped silver and I'll whine about it until a silver or at the least a light or medium gray is brought back... :mad:

The problem with them dropping silver is that for those who love silver as their exterior color of choice there is really no other viable option for them to choose.

Pearl White is the closest option I have but I don't really want a white car.

They should be able to easily "improve" the silver they offered and make it more compelling. It is a top color choice for just about every other premium car available to buy. I find the color to be understated, easy to maintain, and it has a nice elegance tat goes well with the lines of the Model S.

Seriously if they can make brown or beige look so good with the color they are calling "Titanium," surely they can come out with a nice shade of silver or light metallic gray...

I hoping they come out with a nice shade of silver or medium gray before the Model X is announced. I can't imagine them not offering the Model X in a silver color and only offering the car in a gold champagne 90s beige if someone wants a lighter metallic color.

groundhog.jpg

Silver Paint - No Longer Available

I'm surprised no one has posted this yet, but Silver is no longer a color option :(

I talked to a sales rep yesterday and he said you can request it after placing your order, but only until November. After that you won't even be able to request it.

I love the look of my Silver Model S. Does anyone know why they discontinued it?

That happened a few weeks ago. A questionable decision. I've had my silver for 6 months and love it. The current color choices are very slim. Makes me wonder who's in charge of that, maybe the guy that headed the center console department.

I ordered a silver on May 23 - it was a custom order and I was told that it would not be available for cars built after June 30.

I ordered mine two months early (April 15) because I was told Silver could only be ordered till the end of April. Happy to have my car, but, had to walk away early from my previous lease vehicle.

There was a big discussion about this on the board mid April. At the time the end date for Silver was a moving target. There was also talks that they might be moving to a new paint process or something along those lines.

Still, sad to see it missing at any point for people who like lighter colored cars. Just leaves white. A color I had on my last two cars and did not feel like repeating.

It must have just happened. Was there a couple days ago. They took it away once before and brought it back. Par for the course, they have removed it again.
The light silver paint color was removed from the Model S Design Studio web page a couple of months ago. This is not new news. However, it apparently can still be ordered, at least for awhile.