Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't charge beyond 99%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I have a 2 years old S60. So far so good but I noticed my range has degraded all of a sudden significantly 2 months ago (from 316km to 304km); in addition, a range charge would stop at 99% and never reaches 100%. My car has around 62K km (~39k miles) and I reported my concern a few times to Tesla and never heard back from their "engineering"!

Does anyone have the same issue? I tried to range charge many times in different patterns using different chargers (including a supercharger) from a low SOC without any luck. It just wouldn't go beyond 99%. I even disconnected and reconnected the charger at 99% but it would just stop in a few minutes at the same percentage. I can't even remember the last time I saw 100%, if ever!

My other concern is the degradation. I get 304km (188 miles) only at 99%. Not to mention that the first 3 percentages would drop after 3 km only, even if I pre-cool the car before disconnecting the charger.

Again, I reported this to Tesla a few times, by emailing them, and at the service centre when I took it for my second annual. Every time they keep telling me they haven't heard from engineering and it stays that way, even after days or months!

My Model 2015 S 85D is currently in the shop for this same issue. Did you ever get the issue resolved and what was the cause?

When the weather started getting colder here in California, (under 60 degrees in late December), i started to notice that the car would complete charging at 99%. I also noticed that charging took longer. I ran several tests and nothing i did would get the car to charge over 99%. I tried reseting both screens. reseting the charge level, reconnecting and connecting and starting the charge. I even tried different chargers and superchargers. All saw the same result. I could not get over 99%.

Charging over 95% took extremely long. On my home wall charger on a 100 Amp circuit or even at my local Supercharger, the last 4-5% took 35-45 minutes to charge. Previously the last 95 % would take 10-15 minutes on an 80 amp circuit.

In the last week before going in for service we had a day of warm weather with temps over 80 degrees and all of a sudden the car charged to 100%. But the next morning it got cold again, In the 50's, and again the car would not charge over 99%. Temperature causing issues usually point to hardware. Just not sure if it's the chargers or the battery. I had a camera fail in the past only when it got cold and recently the GPS antenna would stop working when it got too hot so I'm no stranger to weather related issues on my Model S.

So far My S has been at the dealer a week. They tried to re-calibrate the charger and it made things worse. Max charge now completes at 98%. Currently waiting on Tesla engineering to respond on what to do next.

My Model 2015 S 85D is currently in the shop for this same issue. Did you ever get the issue resolved and what was the cause?

When the weather started getting colder here in California, (under 60 degrees in late December), i started to notice that the car would complete charging at 99%. I also noticed that charging took longer. I ran several tests and nothing i did would get the car to charge over 99%. I tried reseting both screens. reseting the charge level, reconnecting and connecting and starting the charge. I even tried different chargers and superchargers. All saw the same result. I could not get over 99%.

Charging over 95% took extremely long. On my home wall charger on a 100 Amp circuit or even at my local Supercharger, the last 4-5% took 35-45 minutes to charge. Previously the last 95 % would take 10-15 minutes on an 80 amp circuit.

In the last week before going in for service we had a day of warm weather with temps over 80 degrees and all of a sudden the car charged to 100%. But the next morning it got cold again, In the 50's, and again the car would not charge over 99%. Temperature causing issues usually point to hardware. Just not sure if it's the chargers or the battery. I had a camera fail in the past only when it got cold and recently the GPS antenna would stop working when it got too hot so I'm no stranger to weather related issues on my Model S.

So far My S has been at the dealer a week. They tried to re-calibrate the charger and it made things worse. Max charge now completes at 98%. Currently waiting on Tesla engineering to respond on what to do next.

Sorry for the late reply. Any luck with engineering? Since I'm approaching the end of my original new car warranty, mine is at the service centre now for the 4th annual and minor things here and there. But I asked them for the second time to look into the 99% (or 98% lately) issue and to get this over with. I hope they find a fix for it.

I had the 99% thing myself. It would sit for literally hours at 99% still pumping between 20 and 30 amps into the battery. I would get concerned and unplug because I thought something was wrong.

I was prompted to just let it go because it was likely balancing the cells or some such thing. So I did. I was on an 80 amp charger (I have dual chargers) and I think it took around 6 hours to eventually complete. Now I can charge to 100% again, but that last little bit still takes a long time.

I guess if you're doing repeatedly full 100% (er, 99%) charges... it's kinda expected that capacity would diminish faster than if the car wasn't pushed so hard on the end of its cable. 304km may very well be your new upper limit.

On the other hand, maybe a couple cells did pop !? You'd think the BMS could report on a faulty bank with an over-the-air snoop. See if Tesla will dial into your car and have a look, press on engineering again.

I'm kinda in the same boat. I have a 2016 S 70, upgraded to 75 about a month ago.

The 90% level has been dropping steadily since I upgraded to 75. When I first upgraded, I decided to see what a full 100% was, and saw that it was 241.

I tried it again last night (ran it down to 11% to rebalance), and it was at 237. I noticed it never got above 97%!

Do you guys think I should take it in or wait a little longer?

My 2013 S60 only charges to about 190 rated miles these days, and that's with few range charges, so I don't think 188 is abnormal. I believe the advertised rated range was 208, so 188 is still 90% of original capacity.
Mine is the same: 99% was 188 miles (May 2014 build, 23,000 miles when I got that reading). It is enough to get me where I want to go so I don't worry about it.

Sorry for the late reply. Any luck with engineering? Since I'm approaching the end of my original new car warranty, mine is at the service centre now for the 4th annual and minor things here and there. But I asked them for the second time to look into the 99% (or 98% lately) issue and to get this over with. I hope they find a fix for it.

I started another thread on this because I've had a lot of issues with my car the recent being the charging & now the horn.

I'm currently in the middle of getting the battery replaced. My car is at the service center as I write this.
But it took some convincing & time to get here.

The first time I took the car in at the beginning of the year, the chargers were recalibrate. I have dual charger.
I was given the car back to cycle the battery a couple of times and then the problem seems to have gotten worse with charge completing between 96% - 99%.

So I started logging every single attempt to charge to 100%. I found that the car would sometimes charge to 100% at a normal rate. The charging under 99% was directly related to the local weather. When the ambient temp was under 55 degrees I would get slow charing and could never get 100%. When it got warm, over 55 degree, I could get 100% and charging was back to normal speed.

Using this data, and thanks to the service team, the Pal Springs service center fought to get me a replacement battery. Took a month to get approval for the battery and about a 2 weeks for the battery to arrive.

Right now I'm waiting to hear back on the car being ready. I hope everything is fixed and I can get passed this. I love my car i've had it for only a year and a half and put over 42,000 miles on her. Really don't like being at the service center all the time and on a first name basis with the service team. I think they recognize my voice & have my number memorized at this point.

Reactions: iKhalid