TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Can't charge beyond 99%

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by iKhalid, Jun 18, 2016.

1. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Hello,

I have a 2 years old S60. So far so good but I noticed my range has degraded all of a sudden significantly 2 months ago (from 316km to 304km); in addition, a range charge would stop at 99% and never reaches 100%. My car has around 62K km (~39k miles) and I reported my concern a few times to Tesla and never heard back from their "engineering"!

Does anyone have the same issue? I tried to range charge many times in different patterns using different chargers (including a supercharger) from a low SOC without any luck. It just wouldn't go beyond 99%. I even disconnected and reconnected the charger at 99% but it would just stop in a few minutes at the same percentage. I can't even remember the last time I saw 100%, if ever!

My other concern is the degradation. I get 304km (188 miles) only at 99%. Not to mention that the first 3 percentages would drop after 3 km only, even if I pre-cool the car before disconnecting the charger.

Again, I reported this to Tesla a few times, by emailing them, and at the service centre when I took it for my second annual. Every time they keep telling me they haven't heard from engineering and it stays that way, even after days or months!

2. m2140

m2140 Member

My Model 2015 S 85D is currently in the shop for this same issue. Did you ever get the issue resolved and what was the cause?

When the weather started getting colder here in California, (under 60 degrees in late December), i started to notice that the car would complete charging at 99%. I also noticed that charging took longer. I ran several tests and nothing i did would get the car to charge over 99%. I tried reseting both screens. reseting the charge level, reconnecting and connecting and starting the charge. I even tried different chargers and superchargers. All saw the same result. I could not get over 99%.

Charging over 95% took extremely long. On my home wall charger on a 100 Amp circuit or even at my local Supercharger, the last 4-5% took 35-45 minutes to charge. Previously the last 95 % would take 10-15 minutes on an 80 amp circuit.

In the last week before going in for service we had a day of warm weather with temps over 80 degrees and all of a sudden the car charged to 100%. But the next morning it got cold again, In the 50's, and again the car would not charge over 99%. Temperature causing issues usually point to hardware. Just not sure if it's the chargers or the battery. I had a camera fail in the past only when it got cold and recently the GPS antenna would stop working when it got too hot so I'm no stranger to weather related issues on my Model S.

So far My S has been at the dealer a week. They tried to re-calibrate the charger and it made things worse. Max charge now completes at 98%. Currently waiting on Tesla engineering to respond on what to do next.