TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can't charge - charge port red

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by acmoor, Mar 19, 2015.

1. acmoor

acmoor New Member

Hmm, can't seem to charge any more.

When I open the charge port cover, the port briefly lights up white than quickly changes to solid red. There is then an intermittent sound of motor near the charge port trying to do something.

Has anyone here had this occur? I've only seen threads where people have a problem with their charge cable or their cable's connection. I can't even get that far. :(

2. dirkhh

dirkhh Middle-aged Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!
    I think your best bet is to call Tesla Service. If it's red before you connect your cable there's almost certainly a defect in your charge port.

3. Blu Zap

Blu Zap Grinning member

Ya, red means call Tesla Service. I've had orange, which means it is not plugged in completely. Red = not good.

4. kennybobby

kennybobby Member

would this happen to be a salvage vehicle?

5. jayman

jayman Member

Mine's not a salvage vehicle and it happened to me yesterday. Tesla picking it up today. I thought it may be the cable but the cable is green. Also, I was able to get it to charge at a supercharger after much fidgeting with that cable so I'm thinking its the charge port on mine.

6. Super Gizmo

Super Gizmo Member

I have had that happen to me twice in the last couple of months. The SC had to replace the charger in the car twice and day before yesterday I had a Charge Cable Fault so they replaced the UMC. I have a 2012 P85 with 29K miles and did not have charging problems until a firmware update a few months ago. My house was built in 2006 and all electrical connections have been checked out by two different electricians.

7. jayman

jayman Member

Funny, they replaced both my charge cable and the charger today. Probably just a coincidence but doubt it would be secondary to a firmware update or we'd be seeing a lot more of it