Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't charge - charge port red

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, can't seem to charge any more.

When I open the charge port cover, the port briefly lights up white than quickly changes to solid red. There is then an intermittent sound of motor near the charge port trying to do something.

Has anyone here had this occur? I've only seen threads where people have a problem with their charge cable or their cable's connection. I can't even get that far. :(

Hmm, can't seem to charge any more.

When I open the charge port cover, the port briefly lights up white than quickly changes to solid red. There is then an intermittent sound of motor near the charge port trying to do something.

Has anyone here had this occur? I've only seen threads where people have a problem with their charge cable or their cable's connection. I can't even get that far. :(
Hi and welcome to the forum!
I think your best bet is to call Tesla Service. If it's red before you connect your cable there's almost certainly a defect in your charge port.

Mine's not a salvage vehicle and it happened to me yesterday. Tesla picking it up today. I thought it may be the cable but the cable is green. Also, I was able to get it to charge at a supercharger after much fidgeting with that cable so I'm thinking its the charge port on mine.

I have had that happen to me twice in the last couple of months. The SC had to replace the charger in the car twice and day before yesterday I had a Charge Cable Fault so they replaced the UMC. I have a 2012 P85 with 29K miles and did not have charging problems until a firmware update a few months ago. My house was built in 2006 and all electrical connections have been checked out by two different electricians.

Here's a new kink on this thread-the car, 2012 S 85k, seems to charge okay, but the lower left quadrant of the charge port, i.e. 6-9 o'clock, is red when I open the port. Once charging starts, it goes to blue, but a little dimmer than in the rest of the port. Imminent failure of something in the works? I'll call service tomorrow, but wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem.

#pastperfect44

That has been a recurring failure for our Model S's. The LED ring around the port is failing. As you noted, it does not affect the charging, but more segments in the the ring will fail shortly, until the LEDs will all stay one color regardless of what is happening in the charge cycle. It's a pretty simple replacement for the Techs.

The OPs issue of the red ring could be worse. It means that the car is unable to charge. Could be the onboard charger, something else in the charging circuit or, in our case, the main battery pack failure.