TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Can't charge from 14-50

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by derekt75, Dec 31, 2012.

1. derekt75

derekt75 Member

just got my car today.
    Brought it home, plugged it in to the 14-50 outlet that SolarCity installed a couple weeks ago, but the car doesn't like it.

It says that there's a problem and that I should power cycle the source. I do that, but with the same results. I pushed the "reset" button on the charger, but still no love. It never really tries to draw any significant current out of the outlet.
    A DMM shows that the voltage from the left side to the right is 240V, and left to middle and right to middle is 120V, so that seems to be wired correctly, I think.

It's now plugged in to a 120V outlet. It seems to be pulling 12A out of that just fine at 117V, but it claims that's giving me 2 miles of charge per hour. :-/

I tried calling 877-77-TESLA but nobody's home.

suggestions?

2. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Try resetting the screens which may help. Large screen - hold both wheel buttons on steering wheel until the screen goes blank.
    For the drivers screen - hold both of the buttons just above the wheel buttons down until the drivers screen resets.( resetting this one should do it)

3. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

I'm sorry to hear it, Derek. Wish I had a useful insight on the subject, but I don't. Did you try 1-866-998-3752? That's what's in my phone under Tesla Roadside Assistance, but I've never had to call them.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

#4 steve841, Dec 31, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
    Diagnosing yourself will be far quicker. If the resets suggested above don't work, call a nearby RV park or somewhere a 14-50 outlet may be ...welder / Machine shop.. Take your cord with you and test via a different outlet. If it works, then solar city needs to come back and fix the outlet ... If it doesn't, try a local charging station and see what amps you draw, if its a fairly high number, then your charge cord may be faulty.

It's rather unlikely to be the car at that point..... Especially if you report charging on the 110. IMO...gonna be the outlet (likeliest) or the cord (less likely).

EDIT... One other thought.... All connections are pushed tightly together? Including in to the car ? And what color shows at the charge port?

5. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I had to reset the screen today for the first time. The upper bar of the center screen had no outside temperature display. It was also doing some wierd things like not shutting off, and the climate control continued to run after I left the vehicle, radio continued to play etc. The temperature display showed ---- degrees F. Did the reset and everything seems OK now.

6. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I borrowed a neighbor's cable, and it worked. I let it charge for several minutes, and it gained several miles.
    Then I plugged in my cable, and it also turned green (it was red before) and went to 40A. After a few minutes it said "Charge stopped" and turned blue. maybe it stopped because it was full? Range shows as 190 miles, and maybe 75% of capacity. When it's full does it say "Charge complete" or "Charge stopped"?
    Maybe my cable is buggy.

Off to run some errands, I'll try charging again when I get back.

7. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

It will say complete when done. Stopped if interrupted by other means (e.g. the button on the cord or on the touch screen).
    What's the voltage say when you're pulling 40A? (And what's it say before)

8. derekt75

derekt75 Member

Tried to charge after running errands. Got the red ring. unplugged everything, and tried again. still red ring. unplugged everything, and tried a 3rd time. got a green light. tiptoed away with the car reporting 237V, 40A.
    I didn't notice what it said before it was pulling 40A, but the DMM reported 240V.

9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Likely a bad 14-50 adapter imho. Try your neighbor's adapter on your cord.

10. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

What version do you have?

1.17.27 and 1.17.29 (v4.1) have a bug in it that I experienced, it's related to the 12v management system. Workaround is to keep the radio, climate control, etc. on while it charges. I found that if I left the driver's door open to force the radio & climate to remain on (at least for 30 minutes), the car would charge. When all the systems shut down inside the car, it would report "charging stopped" and I'd have to power up the radio and restart charging again.

Tesla service confirmed an upgrade to 1.17.31 (v4.1) fixes it. They put a request in to force it to my car.

See the "V4.1 - can't charge?" thread in "similar threads" below.

11. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I have 1.17.31.

12. derekt75

derekt75 Member

I just noticed that if you move the cable, on the outlet side (not the car side), the charge stops. So it's definitely something related to the cable.