Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't clear notification badge from Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Both my wife and I have Galaxy S9 phones, and we both have constantly-on notification badge over the app's icon. I can't figure out how to clear it. Anyone crack the code?
Screenshot_20190427-110520_One UI Home.jpg

Appreciate it, but that's not exactly the solution I'm trying for. Under app settings in Android, I can disable the badges altogether. But, I'd rather they work properly than just kill them outright.

I would expect that the Tesla app icon is designed to be badge-free until some event happens that triggers an alert, at which point I notice the badge and go look at the alert, clearing the badge. But, it's throwing this badge for no apparent reason, and I can't clear it without shutting down all badges for all reasons.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpg

I tried everything, but eventually gave up and disabled the notification badges within Android, while leaving notifications on in the Tesla app. So, I still get one little "T" icon at the top of the screen for each "notifiable" event, but I never get the orange badge over the app icon.

I tried everything, but eventually gave up and disabled the notification badges within Android, while leaving notifications on in the Tesla app. So, I still get one little "T" icon at the top of the screen for each "notifiable" event, but I never get the orange badge over the app icon.

Since the "T" is always in the notification tray why have an app icon? I just drag down from the top and hit the Tesla bar to launch the app.

This is actually an issue with how Android handles notifications, not a Tesla app issue per se. When the 3 is selected in your Tesla app, you have a persistent notification showing you the status of the phone key. So it's 'correct' that Android says you have a notification from Tesla at all times (because you have a notification from Tesla at all times). If you have an S or X selected in the app, you will not have this notification showing.

Rather than disable the badges, I just removed the Tesla app from my homescreen--it's unnecessary there since it's always in the notification area!--and I also set the Tesla phone key notification channel to minimized. This prevents the T from being shown at the top of the phone at all times:

CBrGU2nbElGK15CeoWf67U6lbqQR7VShpBTXlPgN27Yv6P_K7H409li3hu8cNVT1NZ7mlYYPRYnsQGOBxhNhjgwb8u7h-vatF9eELEz4kGeJO6t14vUyXvymQ8ju2ujiy27xGrwp6DnoYYmlbv_H9HeMwf_Mzim6h7nce-sTj1F-m7JAqUljEgysleOuuSC6VQRDSVQRHfc3AJlmXnMGd38xqNL1a2WMmBd7oPRq1lO9sNRJ7XWrlajZEPdzRXzgKhiSz8wZtspYq7PLq8l1ZFFdzH7c8pVT0ijSWJej7u71XduTxNCY7b_guPfDY-Cn08jaL9SQ9aKgpIjXvfnNQjRJj-703HBC1AmWkRnLtVC9zy9DTM7zM08y1at14X0_VbJq5QD59jWmyesxY7uEjm6VlUB98nSWWCjcpmX7equhVtKADErmpFSv3yJXdSyv0MPTjA3Rz-FubCFcHf-e6AJ_W-VFSJUDgi7AfekgpTeCLV7Szuodxjo7DlcoqSQ9_tLKS9SXIYuadIZ5lwS82vSMkz9vs5gXy2TDo1TgkmgbOHNFm_WN3_0KDH_RUIdlPjlwoy0vs0wzEqg-J6CsLwPud_WVxpF5uZmkLuc0VclXOUrak613S2lA6OE6QRbbOLBg-lkfX_NCCCmVYF20JIJWxBh64EK9=w1080-h107-no

...while still popping 'actual' notifications from the other Tesla notification channel (software updates, Homelink firing, etc) and letting me access the app from notifications if needed:

mW1B-O13e7BRK-Vky7da9nmzClBFncNq1eKa0OiLaFxxA5g1s5IHYNh_ZFuiT4p3Th6emMDKDQhv_vQzh1cFGEelm5-Y3omRHkGj-jOR9CTBKqT-w778doTFuT8b_JuQs-neo9bL2yc0dXppysp6KN-8xG-UeZN8fys53C-EdHlKOn8YU8UaYHHzqKtviF22-pjhd9e9qapmkzFYoRc-O1fAsP_jAC70SXnqE6m6revLEdUhZTz9mYZnlhW7nYY_cAiWQRUdVozTlSG92gkgfrG-JSaKgS4D4O-FgYQ96dOiqWCTsOUnVcnKrQeL-N7HroRTwFFSbWhM06nge-WmyEomMJ2fHdKktoL_AVAl3S7SdqYeFlBIMUdwvhehjZfCu5bj6Yr2VxghMBWKFThD4qCxX31WvIU-fmcyvQzcpHbBP3GNIl-Sxf_ttNbDRkc1E4ek5YmHUDDeN0gQWbDOjM08l5Aivu0NHYIk0xXDu1bm-iwl9opoi0FdBae8oogrSciT1Q6Y7aMANjUSkw2Gk6-QOPsS7YVuXR74Y1uGzcZKesA0IBQdVRAjxTqguHQXyAEJQVlr8fofCuH9LkJ1ZMuwjV36IaC6hiapDDFtJGD85dO-ztJoEEJtWRX3Omc-iKPV4FwMxpmUryF0z-1qbrF3VnUfwyNO=w1236-h832-no

and I also set the Tesla phone key notification channel to minimized. This prevents the T from being shown at the top of the phone at all times:

I didn't know this was possible. It annoyed me at first since I usually keep the notifications cleared.

But now I secretly enjoy being constantly reminded that I own a Tesla :)

Reactions: Jedi2155
I also set the Tesla phone key notification channel to minimized. This prevents the T from being shown at the top of the phone at all times
Has anyone found a way to do this in Android 11? I used to have it working fine in 10, with no persistent T icon in the tray but it still available if I swiped down. However in Android 11 I can't find way to replicate this behaviour. Also it now seems possible to swipe away the notification entirely?!

Has anyone found a way to do this in Android 11? I used to have it working fine in 10, with no persistent T icon in the tray but it still available if I swiped down. However in Android 11 I can't find way to replicate this behaviour. Also it now seems possible to swipe away the notification entirely?!

Yes, open app info for the Tesla app, and turn off the phone key notification channel. This shot is from my Android 11 Pixel 3.

Screenshot_20201027-052752.png

Reactions: Jedi2155
Yes, open app info for the Tesla app, and turn off the phone key notification channel. This shot is from my Android 11 Pixel 3.
I tried that but although it gets rid of the notification try icon it seems to get rid of the notification on the pull down menu too? I'm looking to replicate what I had before where there's no T icon on the main homescreen but if I swiped down I still have the option to unlock, open boot, etc.

android user...

im not connected to the car at the moment, and ive not used the phone app in the way you suggest (e.g. swipe down to the options), but perhaps try this..

go into the notifications tab of the tesla app and set "phone key status" to silent and minimize notifications. maybe that works for you?

go into the notifications tab of the tesla app and set "phone key status" to silent and minimize notifications. maybe that works for you?
Nope, I've tried setting it to silent - that still leaves the T in the top line when not in notifications. I suspect it's something that has changed with Android 11, a bit annoying though as it was quite nice before to only see the panel when I swiped down to expand the notification area and not see it in normal use.

OK think I've found it finally! Turns out it wasn't in the Tesla notification settings at all but the general notifications one - '"Hide silent notifications in status bar". So by combining putting Tesla onto silent channel (already done) and this it now doesn't show a T icon in the tray, just the card when swiped down. Only slight thing on Android 11 is the card seems to be able to be swiped away (or dismissed when clearing notifications) which wasn't the case before.

2020-10-27 16.30.32.png

im on a note 20 (fold 2 also has same setup).

the way I mentioned above removes the T in the bar but if you open the drawer up top you see it is there. that's the "silent" part of it. pixel has different nomenclature than samsung but it seems like we both are saying the same thing.. :)

I suspect it might be because the Pixel is on Android 11 whereas I'm guessing the Note 20 is on Android 10? I didn't have the same issue on my OnePlus 6 on Android 10 so suspect it's something they've changed for 11, where silent notifications can still have icons in the tray unless you switch it off! :)

Reactions: lUtriaNt
im using Android 11 beta one UI 3.0 on the ultra 20 ultra and android 10 one UI 2.5 on the z fold 2. both unlocked phones but both have the same screens options as below.

with these settings i dont get the T icon in the notification area and when i swipe the screen down i see options for lock and for the front and rear trunk...

Screenshot_20201028-090824_Settings.jpg
Screenshot_20201028-090835_Settings.jpg

Ah OK - looks like Samsung have tweaked it with the 'minimise notifications' option, that's not in stock.
Out of interest can you swipe the notification away? On my OP6 I couldn't but now I can - preferred when I couldn't as it meant when I cleared all notifications it remained!