Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't connect M3 to Octopus Intelligent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I was having trouble with IO, and the team told me to disconnect my device and reconnect. The trouble is I can no longer connect my model 3.
Two things happen. 1. It goes to let me sign into my Tesla account and then it starts to buffer saying "authenticating your account" But will just be spinning so I exit the app. When I open the app and try again, I get faced with a white screen where at the bottom it says " Uh Oh Something Went wrong"

Anyone else get this? Know how to fix. I have asked the team at Octopus but they have never seen this. I have deleted both apps. Downloaded the latest apps, deleted the cache etc and each time nothing happens after Octopus takes me to the Tesla Login screen where it will just spin.

I'm getting exactly the same thing happen with my M3. I can't switch to IO until I've had a successful test charge, but since I can't authenticate with Telsa it's a bit of a non-starter.

Its not clear to me if it's an issue with the octopus app or Telsa. After it's failed once if you try to authenticate again the screen is entirely blank white apart from the "uh oh something went wrong" at the bottom

I'm getting exactly the same thing happen with my M3. I can't switch to IO until I've had a successful test charge, but since I can't authenticate with Telsa it's a bit of a non-starter.

Its not clear to me if it's an issue with the octopus app or Telsa. After it's failed once if you try to authenticate again the screen is entirely white apart from the "uh oh something went wrong" at the bottom

Reactions: Lddex
Likewise. I’m particularly frustrated as I transferred to Octopus yesterday from an EV tariff with a different supplier. Because I can’t run the test, I’m stuck on a standard tariff which means my current EV charging has gone from 10p to 40p or so. I’m hoping Octopus will see sense and discount to an EV rate in due course, but not the best start for a new customer.

Yeah its just bad timing unfortunately. When I first got with Octopus the setup hiccuped once, but second time was the charm. Then months later, the Tesla api went down and unfortunately I didn't realise and tried to repair my car with Octopus. This meant a bug with Octopus left my car stuck in limbo and I couldn't reactivate it.

I contacted support and 2 days later received an app update that fixed the problem.

Yeah its just bad timing unfortunately. When I first got with Octopus the setup hiccuped once, but second time was the charm. Then months later, the Tesla api went down and unfortunately I didn't realise and tried to repair my car with Octopus. This meant a bug with Octopus left my car stuck in limbo and I couldn't reactivate it.

I contacted support and 2 days later received an app update that fixed the problem.
Octopus or tesla support/app ?

Octopus Intelligent had a proper spaz on me last night. I set scheduled charging in the car to begin at 23:30, as I don't want it to initiate a charge outside that time (even after plugging in - I don't trust Octopus to turn it off quickly enough, or at all).

Last night the car woke up to charge, and then stopped charging after about 15 mins, then woke up again later to charge again, and stopped again. This must have repeated a few times while I was asleep - judging by TeslaMate. Eventually I woke up this morning to a car on 60% charge (limit was 85%) and an RCM fault on the charger - first I've ever seen that. Had to charge for 2 hours at peak rate to get enough for where I needed to go today, not happy.

If you set a charge limit of e.g. 60% in the Octopus app, and 80% in the car, will the app stop the car from charging up to 80% by forcing the charge to stop constantly?

I've watched (using teslamate) IO charging, and it quite often seems to do small chunks of half hour segments. So 9 minutes here, 12 minutes here. It does this more often when it has a lot of time (ie, only adding 5-10%), it's odd as I'd thought they'd basically fill from cheapest slot up, but apparently not.

If you have a problem like you had, once you've cleared the fault, if you set your ready time to 11am, you can often plug in and get offered slots that morning.

And yes, whichever has the lowest target will be here it stops at.

I think IO doesn't actually need to communicate with the car anyway, its just a cheap rate from 2330 - 0530.
The T&Cs of the tariff are requiring that you let IO communicate with your car at least once every 30 days, or they can boot you off it.

The purpose is to charge the car when it's best for the grid, IO guarantees that particular overnight slot for now, as nighttime is pretty quiet for the grid, but with EV expansion, might change at some point... Also you might be missing out on some extra slots they would give you if you let them control the charge

For anyone still trying to sign up, the glitch is still present. Just spoke to Octopus and they think it’ll be a couple of days before it’s fixed.
I’ve rolled onto the latest Go rate to protect my cheap(er) overnight charging. Not ideal but the day rates the same.

I've watched (using teslamate) IO charging, and it quite often seems to do small chunks of half hour segments. So 9 minutes here, 12 minutes here. It does this more often when it has a lot of time (ie, only adding 5-10%), it's odd as I'd thought they'd basically fill from cheapest slot up, but apparently not.

If you have a problem like you had, once you've cleared the fault, if you set your ready time to 11am, you can often plug in and get offered slots that morning.

And yes, whichever has the lowest target will be here it stops at.
Thanks, so if I want the car to dictate max charge I should just set the Octopus app to 100%? (it says it won't charge beyond what the car limit is).

Also thanks for the heads up about setting it to 11am to try and get morning off peak slots, will try that if it happens again.

I'm just very puzzled as to why it kept going on and off multiple times, I would have thought it would just want to charge in a continous block.. perhaps the price that Octopus pays differs within that off peak period (23:30 - 05:30) even though we the customer are only paying 10p, so they prefer to stop/start to make it cheaper for them?

The T&Cs of the tariff are requiring that you let IO communicate with your car at least once every 30 days, or they can boot you off it.

The purpose is to charge the car when it's best for the grid, IO guarantees that particular overnight slot for now, as nighttime is pretty quiet for the grid, but with EV expansion, might change at some point... Also you might be missing out on some extra slots they would give you if you let them control the charge
yes you have to connect it up, but it doesn't actually matter every day.

Thanks, so if I want the car to dictate max charge I should just set the Octopus app to 100%? (it says it won't charge beyond what the car limit is).

Also thanks for the heads up about setting it to 11am to try and get morning off peak slots, will try that if it happens again.

I'm just very puzzled as to why it kept going on and off multiple times, I would have thought it would just want to charge in a continous block.. perhaps the price that Octopus pays differs within that off peak period (23:30 - 05:30) even though we the customer are only paying 10p, so they prefer to stop/start to make it cheaper for them?

The only downside to setting IO to 100% and the car to say 90%, is that IO will offer more slots than you need. I don't think it's forbidden, but is taking advantage a little.
The same is true of the 11am thing, but if it offers it, well, why not.
As you, I expected it to charge all in one block, but it really doesn't seem to. There'll be some logic in what they do, but it's driven by different factors, most of which we can't see.

I can't see an obvious way of disconnecting IO from the car, short of changing the Tesla password which would in theory invalidate all of the API keys previously created.

I can't have another situation like this morning where IO spazzed out in the wee hours to the point where my charger stopped working. In an ideal world I would just want to use the 23:30 - 05:30 block in one continuous charge, it's more than I would ever need for my usage. I know that's not the spirit of IO though (or actually against the T&Cs) so I'm playing ball with it and letting it tell me car what to do... for the moment.