Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can't connect M3 to Octopus Intelligent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't see an obvious way of disconnecting IO from the car, short of changing the Tesla password which would in theory invalidate all of the API keys previously created.

I can't have another situation like this morning where IO spazzed out to the point where my charger stopped working. In an ideal world I would just want to use the 23:30 - 05:30 block in one continuous charge, it's more than I would ever need for my usage. I know that's not the spirit of IO though (or actually against the T&Cs) so I'm playing ball with it and letting it tell me car what to do... for the moment.
In the octopus app click the profile pic top left
Select devices
Select Intelligent Octopus
At the bottom, untick smart charging.

No need to disconnect it. Just do that and it won't control charging any more. I do this when I'm using solar during the day.

I just plug mine in and leave it charge to 100% every time, then it uses the whole IO period pretty much. It might turn off and on once or twice but what is the problem with that if it still charges up to right amount

I can't see an obvious way of disconnecting IO from the car, short of changing the Tesla password which would in theory invalidate all of the API keys previously created.

I can't have another situation like this morning where IO spazzed out in the wee hours to the point where my charger stopped working. In an ideal world I would just want to use the 23:30 - 05:30 block in one continuous charge, it's more than I would ever need for my usage. I know that's not the spirit of IO though (or actually against the T&Cs) so I'm playing ball with it and letting it tell me car what to do... for the moment.
Easiest way is going onto your Octopus Account & Settings in the app > Devices > Intelligent Octopus > disable Smart Charging at the bottom.

Basically the charging is a black box based on how stressed / green / cheap is the electricity.
Octopus (in a perfect world) aims to get you at the target you set in the app by the time to set in the app, based on the car variant (battery size) & charger speed you selected when you set up the app initially.
But the car will always get priority so if you have a lower target on the car than in IO and you will see a lot of attempted starts by IO that the car will immediately stop if it has reached the limit SoC you selected.

So let’s say your car is a M3P (78kWh), current SoC at 40%, home charger at 7.4kWh and you plug in at 8pm the night before.
If you have a 100% target in the app by 8am, Octopus knows you need (78x0.6)=47kWh , so 6hours20mins of charge that night, within this 12h window.

So yes it could start and stop roughly on and off every half hour if it was deemed better for the grid depending on the live parameters at the time.

However if by the target time you haven’t reached the required target something might be off (restricted charging amps), or IO bug that you should escalate with them.

Reactions: Durzel

I can't have another situation like this morning where IO spazzed out in the wee hours to the point where my charger stopped working. In an ideal world I would just want to use the 23:30 - 05:30 block in one continuous charge, it's more than I would ever need for my usage. I know that's not the spirit of IO though (or actually against the T&Cs) so I'm playing ball with it and letting it tell me car what to do... for the moment.

Just as a FYI, changing the Tesla password doesn't work and is part of what got me stuck in a loop the last time. Don't ask me how, the Octopus chap did explain it but was a long time ago and above my pay grade.

Anyway as for fixing it yourself.

Open the App. Go to your icon top right, then devices, then intelligent octopus.

Down the bottom you can turn smart charging off temporarily or if you wanted to, you can disconnect the car completely

Edit: Got distracted from originally clicking reply and actually typing is so got beat to it by WllXM 🤣

Reactions: Durzel
This, "uh oh something went wrong" issue is still prevalent on Thursday 23rd February. I have raised a ticket with Octopus, but nothing back.
Pretty sure I saw this affecting VW ID4 users on my multiple Google Searches... I've tried this on 2x Android devices, clearing storage/cache between tries multiple times on each device. I'll bet this is a token authentication issue with certificates/something between octopus and Tesla... hope they can sort it asap. Like others, I have my Go tariff ending soon... and cannot move to IO until I've done the initial test... <sigh> :-(

Unfortunately I am still having the “uh oh something went wrong” when connecting my Tesla account to Ohme app. Hopefully they will fix it soon! Was working perfectly about a week ago.
Apparently you need v3.55.0 on the octopus app. When I said I still have 3.41.1 and no updates, there solution was 'just right 5 minutes and it should clear' I have now sent them a video of what is happening as I don't think they understand. While there CS is great, it would be even better if you could speak to boffins rather than the normal call centre staff who then have to explain your issue to the boffins and so begins a bat and forth of questions and answers.

I had exactly the same problem on Android, however, just installed the Octopus app onto my partners phone (iOS) and it worked first time. Definitely something to do with the Android app currently available. Once the iOS one had set it up, the Android app now shows (after logging back in again) the intelligent octopus all set-up and ready to go.

I had exactly the same problem on Android, however, just installed the Octopus app onto my partners phone (iOS) and it worked first time. Definitely something to do with the Android app currently available. Once the iOS one had set it up, the Android app now shows (after logging back in again) the intelligent octopus all set-up and ready to go.
Thanks for posting this, I had the same issue today, I'm android, wife is iOS, so tried the app on her phone after it failed on mine and it worked a treat.

[Update] Working on Android!
Pretty poor customer service support this week... asking basic questions to which I'd already provided answers... but I checked this morning and my Android (13) device had a new Octopus App v3.56 downloaded this morning (Friday 3rd March) and I can confirm the Intelligent Octopus Test Charge WORKED and I am now setup. It seems to have switched me over immediately.. even though I was promised I would be able to select a date for the switchover as my existing Go Tariff finished on 8th March and is cheaper... ho hum. At least they've fixed it.

So, I was having trouble with IO, and the team told me to disconnect my device and reconnect. The trouble is I can no longer connect my model 3.
Two things happen. 1. It goes to let me sign into my Tesla account and then it starts to buffer saying "authenticating your account" But will just be spinning so I exit the app. When I open the app and try again, I get faced with a white screen where at the bottom it says " Uh Oh Something Went wrong"

Anyone else get this? Know how to fix. I have asked the team at Octopus but they have never seen this. I have deleted both apps. Downloaded the latest apps, deleted the cache etc and each time nothing happens after Octopus takes me to the Tesla Login screen where it will just spin.
I have had an issue signing up but was told it was fixed but I could still not get it to work. there is an update on iOS now to th eapp and all went through this morning but Play store has no updated app since the 13th so appears to still be broken.

[Update] Working on Android!
Pretty poor customer service support this week... asking basic questions to which I'd already provided answers... but I checked this morning and my Android (13) device had a new Octopus App v3.56 downloaded this morning (Friday 3rd March) and I can confirm the Intelligent Octopus Test Charge WORKED and I am now setup. It seems to have switched me over immediately.. even though I was promised I would be able to select a date for the switchover as my existing Go Tariff finished on 8th March and is cheaper... ho hum. At least they've fixed it.
If you contact them they do actually put it back on the cheaper tariff for the remaining time and auto transfer on the correct date.

So, I was having trouble with IO, and the team told me to disconnect my device and reconnect. The trouble is I can no longer connect my model 3.
Two things happen. 1. It goes to let me sign into my Tesla account and then it starts to buffer saying "authenticating your account" But will just be spinning so I exit the app. When I open the app and try again, I get faced with a white screen where at the bottom it says " Uh Oh Something Went wrong"

Anyone else get this? Know how to fix. I have asked the team at Octopus but they have never seen this. I have deleted both apps. Downloaded the latest apps, deleted the cache etc and each time nothing happens after Octopus takes me to the Tesla Login screen where it will just spin.